Does anybody else think that the only thing that's holding New GNR back from gaining Old GNR like popularity is their lack of albums released?

Randy Lahey

Does anybody else think that the only thing that's holding New GNR back from gaining Old GNR like popularity is their lack of albums released? I think people miss the era when GNR released new music consistently more than they miss Slash.

Edited by Randy Lahey

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If everyone in the band had about 20-25 years knocked off their age, that'd probably do more. This is the era of singles, you can be on the radio and in magazines 24/7 by having one song in the Top 40s. They could have just released Chinese Democracy as fourteen individual songs and been relevant for a decade, knowing how Axl looked in his 20s.

Edited by Flayer

I dont think they will ever be as popular again, but a new album will help, because they will play less of the older music, and carve theyre own niche.

Exactly what I think. People will recognize the new band better for what they did/will do if they release more stuff.

Well GNR isn't a band that is in their prime anymore, so I think no matter what they will not reach that musical plateu that was reached in the 90's.

But in terms of being more popular than they are currently, it would depend on how stong the new material is and how many people could connect to it.

I also think Axl's mainstream performances are holding them back. A lot of people I know only know the current band from the 2002 VMA's, RIR 2011, etc. because they were big events that they were curious about and it put them off to hear Axl sing as poorly as he did.

Edited by WhazUp

They still have "old gnr like" popularity in many countries around the world. The platinum sales figures and concert attendance numbers don't lie.

Some people are just hung up on the fact they're not dominant in the States like they used to be. Shit happens. The world though, is bigger than the U.S. The South American and Asian continents still love GnR like the old days.

Aerosmith's last #1 hit was in 1998 when Steven Tyler was 50.

Aerosmith's last Top 10 hit was in 2000 when Steven Tyler was 52.

Axl Rose is now 51 years old.

His window is closing if he ever wants to be relevant again.

But it's 2013 now. People don't give a shit about rnr, they just want some gay faces with stupid songs and lameass music videos.

They still have "old gnr like" popularity in many countries around the world. The platinum sales figures and concert attendance numbers don't lie.

Some people are just hung up on the fact they're not dominant in the States like they used to be. Shit happens. The world though, is bigger than the U.S. The South American and Asian continents still love GnR like the old days.

You do realize that "Led Zep" could tour South America (with some no name at every position) and they'd be "popular"?

But it's 2013 now. People don't give a shit about rnr, they just want some gay faces with stupid songs and lameass music videos.

Aerosmith's last hits were pop ballads.

Axl will have to do a collaboration with a younger artist if he wants to get mainstream airplay. "The General" will never be a hit.

Axl will have to do a collaboration with a younger artist if he wants to get mainstream airplay. "The General" will never be a hit.

Adele would be a good fi tfor Axl. She's (also) huge but she's huge in 2 ways.

What we've listened to the general is just synth. I'm not sure if it could be a hit.

Adele would be a good fi tfor Axl. She's (also) huge but she's huge in 2 ways.

:rofl-lol:

I think you need all the stars to align. All big bands have a commercial peak. Some bands grind it out like AcDc, some abuse their positions like Beatles or U2, some fascinating trainwrecks.

GNR seems to be all three.

CD was all business.

They could put out a wild electronica album like The Beatles would.

We all know it has trainwreck potential!

there are many things, first of all I think that Chinese Democracy should have been longer (3 or 4 albums in one big realise) I wouldn't have minded wait until 2010 and having got three different albums that would keep me listening until 2045 and with all the material they had (14 songs from CD, OMG, Silkworms, The General (or whoever you want to call it) and all the songs that Axl still has and didn't realese) then we would have the 2010 tour with Axl awesome vocals from that year (my personal favorites as he seemed to have even more control of his voice than he had back in the 80's and 90's) and of course after all is set and done they could have had setlists with 3 songs from AFD, 3 from UYI, 1 from Lies and the rest being from Nu-GN'R albums making setlist of 15 songs from CD and the rest of Axl's music... That would have made them as big as the old GN'R or perhaps even more.

I don't think they'll ever be as big as they were. Just not realistic at this point.

Fair or not, Axl's public perception isn't great, and a lot of people will always write them off as "not the real band".

But I think if they put out more music they'd win some people over or make new fans who like the new stuff and don't care that it's not the original line up from 20 years ago. They're not going to be the biggest band in the world but they could certainly be more relevant

if there was an effort made to do so.

I think the new band would've been more popular if we had 3 or 4 albums out by now and there were less lineup changes over the years.

But the chance for GN'R to be big again, in the US at least is pretty much gone, unless the impossible happens(a reunion).

Not at all, the only thing holding them back from gaining old GNR like popularity is the lack of members from old GNR. If a new album came out tomorrow it would make half the noise that Chinese Democracy made in today's music world, why is this so difficult for some to understand?

There's no way in hell anybody could honestly think this group of guys has the potential to be at the same level in todays popular music scene as Guns N' Roses was in the early 90's

Let's talk about Axl. There are thousands of ways for Axl to be mainstream again.

People want to see the guy.

Axl and new GNR could easily do it. And yes, releasing more albums would help. Seriously, they could release generic decent albums, and they'd sell. It's all about that voice.

Are this point, I don't think GNR or Axl's legacy can be diluted.

Axl's integrity is just too strong. Perfectionism is good, but in this case, it's hurt.

Good thing is that Axl always reinvents himself. There's always a chance things will get better for us.

No, because:

- (Real) rock is not relevant anymore

- Gn'R is considered to be a nostalgia act and Slash is pretty much still part of it

- Axl got old, bloated and weird looking - definitely a turn off for younger fans...

- The record company probably is more interested in a Greatest Hits II album than any mew music

Exactly, I mean David Hasselhoff is big in Germany and you don't hear people questioning the Hoffs musical integrity or relevancy. Same with GNR.