Was Grunge/Alternative the last great Rock music?

Vincent Vega

Was the Grunge/Alternative era (Generally from around 1992-1997) the last great era of Rock Music? What do you guys feel? I think the subculture that went along with Grunge is really cool. I'm not a fan of Nirvana so much except for their more introspective songs--In Utero's softer songs and things like Do Re Mi and you know you're right. But I think it was probably the final great leap for Rock Music....

If not Grunge, then perhaps the kind of music Evanesence was playing back in 2003. Evanescence was huge.

Who knows. Who cares really? Music is totally subjective. Over a hundred years ago they thought Marching Band music was the pinnacle of human entertainment.

In another hundred years, nobody will remember what "rock" was and all this petty arguing won't mean shit.

Just enjoy what you enjoy and accept that it doesn't mean a goddamn thing.

Who knows. Who cares really? Music is totally subjective. Over a hundred years ago they thought Marching Band music was the pinnacle of human entertainment.

In another hundred years, nobody will remember what "rock" was and all this petty arguing won't mean shit.

Just enjoy what you enjoy and accept that it doesn't mean a goddamn thing.

I enjoy talking about it though, so it does mean a goddamn thing to me.

I'm simply asking if Grunge was the last big leap forward for Rock and I wanna hear other opinions...And maybe some Grunge era nostalgia.

Edited by Vincent Vega

What about NuMetal? Korn and Limp Bizkit and even bands like Slipknot were all super popular after grunge. Doesn't that count as the next leap forward for rock? Or does it not count if you simply don't like those bands?

I don't think NuMetal really was ever the countercultural force that Grunge was. Even if Grunge wasn't a real movement, Grunge helped shaped the way people dressed, the way music was tailored etc...It was a counterculture even if it didn't want to be. NuMetal not so much.

What about NuMetal? Korn and Limp Bizkit and even bands like Slipknot were all super popular after grunge. Doesn't that count as the next leap forward for rock? Or does it not count if you simply don't like those bands?

I don't think NuMetal really was ever the countercultural force that Grunge was. Even if Grunge wasn't a real movement, Grunge helped shaped the way people dressed, the way music was tailored etc...It was a counterculture even if it didn't want to be. NuMetal not so much.

Counterculture is supposed to rally against the mainstream. Grunge was part of the mainstream.

Counterculture is supposed to rally against the mainstream. Grunge was part of the mainstream.

It wasn't at all part of the mainstream at first. It was an alternative and a rally against the reigning music of the era--Hair/Sleaze Metal, Pop, and all the manufactured musical crap of the '80s. Even looks wise Grunge shunned the "larger than life", big clothes, big hair and neon colors of the mainstream.....

It's sort of like the Hippies in that for a brief time they were the counterculture...and then they WERE the culture. Meaning the counterculture had consumed the mainstream and influenced it, rather than just being an outside thing.

Grunge for years was an underground thing--from the late 80s or so until around '92...Then it hit the mainstream and it became the new norm...People began wearing "grungewear", shit kids in Seattle had been wearing for years, the dirty unwashed look became fashionable....The music was not just some underground Seattle thing anymore, you had bands wanting to be Grunge who weren't.

It's similar to the Hippies in that the Hippies were an underground force for years as the Beatniks and whatnot and then they exploded onto to mainstream around '67 and by '69 almost everyone was trying to be a Hippie and the music of the Hippies influenced others....

Edited by Vincent Vega

Miser, are you just quoting some old Newsweek article? Or wikipedia? You're simply regurgitating things you read or saw on VH1.

Grunge wasn't a revolution. It was just the next phase of mainstream corporate music that was forced on the public after Color Me Badd got unfashionable. No different from the shitty pop music today.

It didn't "change society" in any way other than people wore flannel for a little while.

Edited by estrangedtwat

Miser, are you just quoting some old Newsweek article? Or wikipedia? You're simply regurgitating things you read or saw on VH1.

Grunge wasn't a revolution. It was just the next phase of mainstream corporate music that was forced on the public after Color Me Badd got unfashionable. No different from the shitty pop music today.

It didn't "change society" in any way other than people wore flannel for a little while.

exactly.

it is the same shit you see on tv whether it is on vh1, mtv or cnn when talking about the 90s "how grunge changed the world" and how "kurt cobain changed the world" these people are full of shit. like you said for 5 or 6 years some kids wore flannel, it put seattle on the map, and then the fad was over, these kids dropped the flannel, put on some jnco pants jean and started listening to limp bizkit and korn.

then that fad ended and it was on to the next.

"grunge" was the hair metal of the 1990s.

maybe the last great mainstream rock music. The whole post-hardcore thing in the 90's and 00's and the hardcore punk of today is more musically satisfying to me, really feels like the only scene where guitar/bass/vocal/drum bands are creating something powerful and original. There've also been some great progressive rock bands like Porupine Tree, The Mars Volta, and Coheed and Cambria. all the indie rock shit of the last decade just bores me to tears though.

Edited by sweetness

Guest Len B'stard

The bands grunge was influenced by, the ones that showed the way, your Scratch Acids and your Meat Puppets and your Big Blacks were 100 times more interesting than anything grunge came out with, pretty much when a formula is settled upon then it's like...i dunno, it's a matter of time before the energy dissapates, becomes less exciting if you like.
Edited by sugaraylen

Yeah, I guess so. Alt rock is still going -and it sucks hard, but it's not going anywhere. Current alt rock is just a bunch of one-rhythm songs with a singer whispering something with lotza reverb.

Nu metal was big back in the day. How many kids bought seven string guitars because of bands like korn?