We Are The World: The cheesiest, lamest song ever?

Vincent Vega

Seriously it's a self indulgent, utterly dated song...It personifies everything that was wrong about the mid 80s

"Following its release, "We Are the World" received mixed reviews from journalists, music critics and the public. American journalist Greil Marcus felt that the song sounded like a Pepsi jingle. He wrote, "... the constant repetition of 'There's a choice we're making' conflates with Pepsi's trademarked 'The choice of a new generation' in a way that, on the part of Pepsi-contracted song writers Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie, is certainly not intentional, and even more certainly beyond the realm of serendipity." Marcus added, "In the realm of contextualization, 'We Are the World' says less about Ethiopia than it does about Pepsi—and the true result will likely be less that certain Ethiopian individuals will live, or anyway live a bit longer than they otherwise would have, than that Pepsi will get the catch phrase of its advertising campaign sung for free by Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, Bruce Springsteen, and all the rest." Author Reebee Garofalo agreed, and expressed the opinion that the line "We're saving our own lives" was a "distasteful element of self-indulgence". He asserted that the artists of USA for Africa were proclaiming "their own salvation for singing about an issue they will never experience on behalf of a people most of them will never encounter".

Edited by Vincent Vega

WTF was Dan Ackroyd doing there?

They went the middle of the road so they could get on as many stations as possible.

This was probably the weirdest lineup of singers & rappers ever.

Kool DJ Herc, Grandmaster Melle Mel, Ruben Blades, Bob Dylan, Pat Benatar, Herbie Hancock, Ringo Starr, Zak Starkey, Lou Reed, Run–D.M.C., Peter Gabriel, Bob Geldof, Clarence Clemons, David Ruffin, Eddie Kendricks, Darlene Love, Bobby Womack, Afrika Bambaataa, Kurtis Blow, The Fat Boys, Jackson Browne, Daryl Hannah, Peter Wolf, Bono, George Clinton, Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood, Bonnie Raitt, Hall & Oates, Jimmy Cliff, Big Youth, Michael Monroe, Stiv Bators, Peter Garrett, Ron Carter, Ray Barretto, Gil-Scott Heron, Nona Hendryx, Lotti Golden, Lakshminarayana Shankar and Joey Ramone.

Seriously it's a self indulgent, utterly dated song...It personifies everything that was wrong about the mid 80s

Maybe it's dated cause it actually was recorded in the mid 80s?

It's not a great song, but I remember that I couldn't get enough of the vid only cause of MJ. I loved it! The vid, not the song, except for MJ parts.

Earth Song is fuckin awesome. Yes, very overwrought but defintely genuine. And great vocals. Its like his biggest single around your way isn't it?

It is? Fucked if I know dear boy. Pile of old cobblers if you ask me. :shrugs:

When I was a kid I remember it being on Top Of The Pops every week for what seemed like forever. I thought it was the strangest thing I had ever seen on TV and when you're a kid you watch some mad stuff.

Also, agree with OP. Pretty awful.

Edited by Chinaski