Are There People Here Who Prefer CD Over the UYI Albums?

ChristmasFnatic

I love Chinese Democracy and the Illusions. In my opinion, songs like Estranged and Coma don't really have an equal on CD. I think CD stands up next to the Illusions but if you combined the best songs off each of the Illusions, you'd have the best GNR record there is, Appetite included.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CD is actually my favorite album of all time. I could spend days explaining why, but I won't. The UYI records, honestly, are quite overrated. First off, I can't stand the production. Compared to 'Appetite', which had a very raw and powerful sound, 'UYI' sounds very muddy and thin, and the bass and guitar tones sound horrible. It's weird because they sound way more dated than Appetite ever will. I could go the rest of my life and never hear half the songs from the albums and be perfectly content...

CD is actually my favorite album of all time. I could spend days explaining why, but I won't. The UYI records, honestly, are quite overrated. First off, I can't stand the production. Compared to 'Appetite', which had a very raw and powerful sound, 'UYI' sounds very muddy and thin, and the bass and guitar tones sound horrible. It's weird because they sound way more dated than Appetite ever will. I could go the rest of my life and never hear half the songs from the albums and be perfectly content...

Ha, I needed a laugh. I guess you win the ultimate New GNR fan contest.

Just wondering, cuz in another forum(non GNR), he said he loves CD more than the 2 UYI albums. And he is not a hardcore fan as most people here. So wondering what you guys think.

I just wont add AFD cuz that is just on another level; while TSI is a level below.

You can add me to that list.

AFD is about as perfect as an album as you will ever find.

And my next favourite GN'R CD is Chinese Democracy.

I think it really is because UYI were split though... there are just so many tracks on those albums that I skip through.

"Filler" is often a matter of opinion when you get down to it. However, for me - You Ain't the First, Back off Bitch, So Fine, My World, the second version of Don't Cry (really, that should have been a B-side of the single), Get in the Ring... those are all filler to me. That's 6 songs. And it doesn't even include tracks I just think are weaker, like Bad Obsession for example, or the covers, which again, could have gone out as B-sides or something (or on a covers album, since they did TSI after all).

Chinese Democracy's "filler" for me starts and ends at Rhiad, and I'm not even sure I can say that's filler, just a track I think is weaker.

If I had to make my own UYI album:

Perfect Crime

Pretty Tied Up

Don't Cry

You Could Be Mine

Estranged

November Rain

Don't Damn Me

14 Years

Locamotive

Coma

And that's probably too long for an album so I get the need to split things - I've never been able to come up with a satisfactory track list where UYI is one album and something isn't left out - so it's just all out perception for me.

AFD

CD

UYI I

UYI II

Lies

TSI

That's my order.

I think UYI has mores highs than CD but also more lows.

Otherwise comparing CD to the rest of the GNR catalogue (and, for that matter, comparing TSI to the rest of the GNR catalog) has difficulties.

Edited by Eu4ic

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering, cuz in another forum(non GNR), he said he loves CD more than the 2 UYI albums. And he is not a hardcore fan as most people here. So wondering what you guys think.

I just wont add AFD cuz that is just on another level; while TSI is a level below.

I find myself listening to CD far more often than either of the UYIs, although there are some great songs mixed in on those two.

I am totally obsessed with Chinese Democracy. It's a great, great record. Of all the previous albums I would have to say the Best Of is my second favour, although, there's lots of songs that should have been there. But aside from the hit songs, UYI's or Apetite aren't so special to me.

Ok... People who friggin say certain songs are fillers are just stupid. On CD HOW COULD AXL PUT A FILLER ON THE ALBUM? He had so much leftover material, its clear he picked the songs that he felt should be on the album. And the Illusions records, LOL cmon.... With that said I prefer CD but i love all the records more than any other artist.

Edited by GNRFan53