Dropping the Needle: Alan Niven talks GNR

AndreCC

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they should have put the shorter Appetite era Illusion tracks (DC, BO, BOB, YCBM) on one album and that album should have come out, 1989. Then put Estranged, Coma, CW, Locomotive, November Rain, Breakdown on one album and that album should have come out, 1990/91.

It makes more sense musically.

Maybe for the old band, it would've been better in the long run for Alan and Axl to work out their differences some way, given the level of disdain that Duff seems to have for Doug Goldstein. But, it wasn't meant to be. Alan Niven has given several interviews about Axl and GN'R over the years, so this wasn't all that new to me.

Ali

But how do you deal with a crazy person? How do you deal with someone who asks for photos to show to someone named Yoda? At one point it's normal to say fuck it. Slash, Izzy, Duff, they all moved on, while Axl's still bitching about the past. It's pathetic.

LMAO ... Yeah, they all moved on after they did their 10 years of bitching.

They all threw stones first ... each blaming everyone else except themselves.

It's only now that GnR is back strong that Axl has a strong base to tell his side of the story.

Edited by gnrfan2007

Isn't it funny how everybody who has ever felt like Axl fawked them over ... always finds a way to rip Axl after the fact.

Alan's whole diatribe basically boils down to this:

IT WAS ME ... that made [old] GnR rich and famous! OLD-GnR is the real GnR because IT WAS ME that made them! IT WAS ME ME ME!

Clearly, Alan is still bitter that he got fired and his career subsequently went downhill afterwards. And of course, he blames Axl for it.

And despite Alan's claims, it does boil down to MONEY. Don't be fooled. Alan would certainly rather be making the royalties he could have been getting to this day instead of the peanuts he got bought out for. The money and fame could have certainly helped to prevent his depression and nose-dive in life personally.

Somebody also needs to tell Alan that its 2013 ... not 1987 anymore.

Edited by gnrfan2007

Very intresting interview, thanks for posting.

Not really a revalation that Axl is super controlling, but it is still intresting to hear stories about the old days

WTF? It's his band!!!

He's the BOSS of HIS BAND!

That is one of the dumbest things Slasholes always say.

Do you not think Slash is controlling of HIS BANDS? Why you think he fired Scott Weiland and need to get away to do his solo stuff? Because he wanted control over everything!

But how do you deal with a crazy person? How do you deal with someone who asks for photos to show to someone named Yoda? At one point it's normal to say fuck it. Slash, Izzy, Duff, they all moved on, while Axl's still bitching about the past. It's pathetic.

It's only now that GnR is back strong that Axl has a strong base to tell his side of the story.

It must get on your nerves that everybody who knows Axl tell the same story huh?. Axl is a control freak and he's crazy. If you don't accept reality it's not my problem. And lol... gnr is back strong... yeah sure they're strong, whatever.

Not a "Slashole" although you clearly do love black and white rhetoric so it is expected for you to make blanket judgment statments like that

It was not "his band" until the contracts legally said so when the name issue of the 90's happened. He was not the "boss" in 1987 - he was the frontman of a collaborative rock band. No amount of spin can change that

Not they they are without faults, but that doesn't mean their "blame" was totally irrational, based on quite a bit of statements made by a quite a lot of people

Edited by WhazUp

It must get on your nerves that everybody who knows Axl tell the same story huh?. Axl is a control freak and he's crazy. If you don't accept reality it's not my problem. And lol... gnr is back strong... yeah sure they're strong, whatever.

Everybody tells the same story? Really? LOL

It's everybody who feels like Axl *owes them* something for his wealth and fame for which Axl cut them off at some point.

Are you not a control freak when it comes to things you feel are yours? To protect what you feel is yours the way you feel is best?

Are you not a control freek about your own LIFE?

If Axl had joined another band and acted like he was the boss, then that would be him being a control freak.

But GnR is indeed Axl's band! It's his business. It's his LIFE!

So to call Axl a control freak over his own *life* is stupid!

Everybody tells the same story? Really? LOL

It's everybody who feels like Axl *owes them* something for his wealth and fame for which Axl cut them off at some point.

Are you not a control freak when it comes to things you feel are yours? To protect what you feel is yours the way you feel is best?

Are you not a control freek about your own LIFE?

If Axl had joined another band and acted like he was the boss, then that would be him being a control freak.

But GnR is indeed Axl's band! It's his business. It's his LIFE!

So to call Axl a control freak over his own *life* is stupid!

Oh I get it... Axl recently said gnr is his life and everything Axl says you will repeat it. Ok.

Izzy was more extrwme than that. He didnt really want Slash or Axl beefing up his songs. If you wanted a say youd have turn up. But Guns were going for headline tour they need a big sounding record not a underproduced. Obvious problem is you have these big ballads and faster rnr songs. I dint thunk it came out too bad. Queen meets the Pistols with Bill Price in the mix? its uniform album.

That would be the next move for me with these. Each member should have got their songs done their way. Slash help Axl. Let izzy release his songs his way.

But these musical differences were there from the beginning. Remember at Ritz Axl says this band is sloppy but i dont care. Even at that point he wanted to be in Queen.

Its really how personal relationships deteriorated so they didnt want to compromise anymore. And they didnt need to or prove anything.

The problem I saw was Axl saw where the music industry was going aka evolving. He wanted more than just a blues filled RNR album. Slash on the other hand wanted to go contemporary and make a solid rock album. UYI was actually genius. It's a shame Slash wasn't into the direction the album went. That's why I never really liked AFD as a definitive Guns album. I felt Axl's true identity came out on the illusions albums. He wanted deeper more meaningful songs and Slash just wasn't into that. That is why UYI & CD trumps AFD for me. Not that AFD isn't amazing. I just love deeper more emotional songs.

Edited by iftheworld

The problem I saw was Axl saw where the music industry was going aka evolving. He wanted more than just a blues filled RNR album. Slash on the other hand wanted to go contemporary and make a solid rock album. UYI was actually genius. It's a shame Slash wasn't into the direction the album went. That's why I never really liked AFD as a definitive Guns album. I felt Axl's true identity came out on the illusions albums. He wanted deeper more meaningful songs and Slash just wasn't into that. That is why UYI & CD trumps AFD for me. Not that AFD isn't amazing. I just love deeper more emotional songs.

Just in terms of overall band relations I think the problem was a mixture of many different aspects. You have musical differences between members, drugs being a big problem - especially with Slash and Duff (and Steven), Axl's erratic and controlling behavior, lack of a unified band vision, etc. So many different conflicts where it was almost inevitable that the band as we knew it from 85-94 would have a time stamp on soley on personal and professional differences in the and members.

Lack of direct communication was a big factor IMO

Edited by WhazUp

Not a "Slashole" although you clearly do love black and white rhetoric so it is expected for you to make blanket judgment statments like that

It was not "his band" until the contracts legally said so when the name issue of the 90's happened. He was not the "boss" in 1987 - he was the frontman of a collaborative rock band. No amount of spin can change that

Not they they are without faults, but that doesn't mean their "blame" was totally irrational, based on quite a bit of statements made by a quite a lot of people

Whether you want to accept reality or not, Axl's band is called Guns n' Roses for a reason.

It's not called Izzy n' Roses, or Slash n' Roses, or Duff n' Roses, or Adler n' Roses. It was the merger of Axl Rose's band with Tracii Guns' band. Then Tracii quit. Then everybody else from the classic lineup was *HIRED* to join the band. The only person who never had to audition to join Axl's band was Izzy because they were childhood buddies.

So, if you want to view things from a HISTORICAL (FACTUAL) point of view, Axl became the sole owner of the "Guns n' Roses" band when Tracci left.

Guns n' Roses was Axl's band long before it was ever legally incorporated for the purpose of doing business with their management and record company.

If you don't want to accept that reality, that's fine.

Today's reality is more undeniable: GnR belongs to Axl Rose both in spirit and the LAW.

So to try to claim that Axl is a control freak of his own band - of his business and his life - is completely stupid.

Look at Slash and his control freakishness over his VR and Snakepit bands. It's no different. But yet, you would never hear folks like you call Slash a control freak!

Listen to Alan Niven talk about David Geffen and his record company Geffen too.

Everybody who is the boss of their own business has every right to run it the way they see fit. That is why bosses are assholes.

You want things your way, then start your own business!

It's all a part of life. It's all a part of business. You fight for what is yours.

In the end, it's their own stupidity and fault that they were not able to protect their self-interests. Slash, Duff, Izzy, Niven, and anybody else who whines about how things went down with Axl ... have nobody else to blame but themselves.

Axl was smart enough to protect his interests. That makes him the winner and everybody else the bitter whining losers!

Strange how the one criticized as the crazy one is the one who who outsmarted everybody else, huh?

So for folks like you to continually make ex-members of GnR the victims and Axl the abuser is once again completely ludicrous!

It's Axl's band, business, and his life!

Imagine UYI without Nov Rain. Just YCBM and Dont cry.

Maybe thats also what Axl wanted out of. Niven controversy worked but Axl got all the flack. He seemed to be every vice that surrounded the

band.

Axl definitely saw that this kind of publicity had to go. They had to change but it just took them too long. Izzy still isnt ready to tour. Adler not sure.

Its like Axl gets a new dream and he needs new management and band. This current line up is looking like Uyi line up with Atlas Shrugged as the business model. A family business that operates outside the industry.

It's not called Izzy n' Roses, or Slash n' Roses, or Duff n' Roses, or Adler n' Roses. It was the merger of Axl Rose's band with Tracii Guns' band. Then Tracii quit. Then everybody else from the classic lineup was *HIRED* to join the band. The only person who never had to audition to join Axl's band was Izzy because they were childhood buddies.

They joined the band, not hired. Unless if you can show me the contract write ups from 1985 where Axl was named the legal owner and was authorized to hire. But alas, the members joined, they established a collaborative relationship where Axl was the frontman and singer but not "boss"

As for naming the band - look at Pearl Jam. Eddie Vedder was the last member to join the band yet he is essentially the main dude in Pearl Jam now. Origins of a band name in lineup DO NOT dictate a boss relatoinship with the other band members

So, if you want to view things from a HISTORICAL (FACTUAL) point of view, Axl became the sole owner of the "Guns n' Roses" band when Tracci left.

Lol that is not factual, that is you hating Slash and loving Axl so you rewite history in naming Axl as the "always have been boss" when that is not necceasrily the case. Original =/= owner, especially when band relationships gain a different context based on who is in the band and what the band does

So for folks like you to continually make ex-members of GnR the victims and Axl the abuser is once again completely ludicrous!

I am not, see here is the thing: you see things so black and white that you cannot comprehend a person like me who places the blame on everyone in the band. I don't just blame Axl I just highlight the points you either ignore or rewrite

So please stop twisting my words into an anti-Axl sentiment, because all it really is is a more objective realism than what your posts have to offer

Edited by WhazUp

So we also know now that Axl was full of shit when he said that he wanted to make an "Aerosmith Rocks" type of album that would have really pleased Slash back in 1996. He told Kurt Loder in the 1999 or 2000 interview that he wanted to make an Appetite sounding record.

So we also know now that Axl was full of shit when he said that he wanted to make an "Aerosmith Rocks" type of album that would have really pleased Slash back in 1996. He told Kurt Loder in the 1999 or 2000 interview that he wanted to make an Appetite sounding record.

Well even so the songs that Slash wrote during that period were apparently not AFD or Aerosmith enough. That and the fact both Axl and Duff walked away from Slash because he wouldn't budge on them helping out with the creative process with his songs which inevitably became Snakepit.