Vegas DVD/Blu-Ray Discussion

Randy Lahey

So are people complaining about a release date going to actually spend money to buy it or wait for the Netflix rental?

I'll definitely buy it. Not sure how many times I'll watch it, but I'll buy it for sure.

I'll buy it as well. I rarely watch the Tokyo DVDs, but I still own them.
  • Like 1

So are people complaining about a release date going to actually spend money to buy it or wait for the Netflix rental?

I'll definitely buy it. Not sure how many times I'll watch it, but I'll buy it for sure.

I'll buy it as well. I rarely watch the Tokyo DVDs, but I still own them.

Was just going to say that. I have about 30-40 music blu-rays (concerts, documentaries, etc) which I rarely watch, but they're great to have around for when I do want to.

Probably wont get released. Look how crappy metallicas movie is doing and their still popular.

why do you say the movie is doing crappy?

It cost 18 mill to make and has only made 3 mill back. Compared to other 3d concert films that have grossed over 30 mil this is crappy

Probably wont get released. Look how crappy metallicas movie is doing and their still popular.

why do you say the movie is doing crappy?

It cost 18 mill to make and has only made 3 mill back. Compared to other 3d concert films that have grossed over 30 mil this is crappy

Well it's only been out for 2 weeks, and according to IMDB it's made almost $5 million. Also, according to Blabbermouth, "Metallica Through The Never" opened... to an estimated $1.67 million - the best opening for a concert film ever at IMAX theaters". So I don't know where you're getting your numbers about films that "grossed over 30 mil" and how long that took, but according to the numbers I"m seeing and Blabbermouth this is quite impressive.

Keep in mind that there is also a soundtrack, and those profits need to be considered here too if you're going to use the $18 million figure to say the movie is doing "crappy."

Edited by nambis

It launched as an IMAX only release for a little bit. it's tough to get a self financed film into theaters to begin with. It's not like it had MASSIVE distribution.

At this point I don't think it will come out. Too much time has passed with no updates from anyone. Suspect Axl pulled the plug. His vocals are not perfect. For most of us this is not a problem. Granted very few can do what he does l've with his vocal range, but he is a perfectionist.

They opened as a limited release, not thousands of theaters, it was more than they wanted to spend on it, but it's still pretty low in comparison to other movies, esp. in IMAX/3D. Studios probably spend more in 3D documentaries, they're anticipating the home video and soundtrack will help recoup the money, and a lot of times IMAX movies will keep playing in theaters over time and just have it play in different theaters. It's like 12-15 bucks to go see a movie in IMAX, so if they get an average of 10-20 people in a theater to spend money to go see it a year or two from now, it's still making its money back.

They could do a road show Q&A the way Kevin Smith does if it's about recouping the money and charge the fans 100 bucks to sit with them and watch the movie and sign memorabilia after the show, it's cheaper than what some people who go to conventions will spend trying to meet a favorite movie star who's charging 100 bucks per person...at least.

How much did Slash make off his movie?

It launched as an IMAX only release for a little bit. it's tough to get a self financed film into theaters to begin with. It's not like it had MASSIVE distribution.

True but only the first week. It's now the 3rd week.

As for the ones that have grossed over 30. Look up bieber. Miley Cyrus. Katy perry. And a couple others

MSL says it will (likely) be released around Q1 of 2014 so yes, I do believe it will be released.

Appetite for Democracy starts now!!

Also, RockFuel said in August they'll be announcing a date soon. Thanks for the patience. Maybe we'll get it before Summer 2014?

MSL says it will (likely) be released around Q1 of 2014 so yes, I do believe it will be released.

Appetite for Democracy starts now!!

Also, RockFuel said in August they'll be announcing a date soon. Thanks for the patience. Maybe we'll get it before Summer 2014?

The only thing I can think that's taking so long is maybe RockFuel is waiting to see how the Pumpkins one sells?