Axl 06/07 better than 2010?

Young_Gun

I had the best time in 2002. Then again it was so long in waiting. Roseland 2012 was a close second since I was at the front and finally got the fortus pick to add to my bf and dj ones.

Edited by jimb0

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who's listened to a ton of bootlegs:

-2002 was lazy, nasally falsetto

-2006-2007 was Axl regaining the rasp. It seemed like he strategically planned out what parts of songs to use falsetto on, but he primarily used rasp.

-2009-2010 was Axl fucking going for it like he hadn't since 1993. Full rasp on most songs.

-2011-present is back to the lazy falsetto of 2002, but he still retains some vibratto from 2006-2010 that he didn't have in 2002. Kind of the opposite of 2006-2007 where he now sings primarily in falsetto and strategically uses rasp at some points.

Seriously... Fucken epic... The rasp, power, movement, mannerisms, energy, power, enthusiasm. I find myself watching the 06/07 videos much more than the 2010 videos which most people think is Axl's best since the early 90's. He was fit in 2006/07 too. What you guys reckon? Feel free to post videos, discuss, compare etc.

Singing was maybe a little better or at least consistent in 2010 but Axl was in better physical shape in 2006. I never liked the corm rows so I give a slight nod to 2010

I would say 06, based on my experience. I saw them in 2010 at Sturgis and it was the weakest performance I saw Axl do live. It didn't suck, this is based on the nine times I have seen GNR. I know Axl sounded great in 2010, but when I witnessed it live......I pick 2011,2012 over 2010.

2006 Axl is incomparably better than 2010 Axl. I mean... There are times, and it's not that rare when I find 2006 Axl better than 1992/1993 Axl. It was the perfect amount of rasp, he was in top shape in many concerts, his breath and stamina was amazing, and he looked awesome. The 2006 band was amazing. It just proves that a good Axl = a good band.

Seriously... Fucken epic... The rasp, power, movement, mannerisms, energy, power, enthusiasm. I find myself watching the 06/07 videos much more than the 2010 videos which most people think is Axl's best since the early 90's. He was fit in 2006/07 too. What you guys reckon? Feel free to post videos, discuss, compare etc.

I'll see your 2006 and raise you 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8B1lTaxJec

I'll see your 2006 and raise you 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8B1lTaxJec

To me, the 2010 performance is better (vocally at least, Axl kind of fucks up the lyrics in the bridge leading to the big scream). In the 2010 version, once the first chorus kicks in Axl keeps the rasp going throughout. I can see if why someone might prefer 2006 if they're not a fan of so much rasp, but for me, it's his trademark sound. Take away Axl's rasp and I'm not hearing a big difference between him and singers like Steve Perry or Rick Emmett (lead singer of Triumph).

My opinion? They really fucked up by not releasing Chinese in 2006 and getting out in front of it.

Well, I'm sure if there were do-overs, the best time to release it was around 1999-2001, but you know what I mean.

Axl had a killer look in '06. He looks so different now.

For me, it's 2006. Yeah he sounded good in 2010 but seemed more out of breath than usual. Wasn't in as good shape. Much more than 2006. In 2006, he was out of breath towards the end of the sets (Paradise City @ RAR). But each to his own. He sounded great both years. LA and Rock AM Ring are my favs. I do agree he sounded much better as 2006 went on. Early 2006 was inconsistent.

Edited by axlrosefan1

I would say 2010 is the best overall, but 2006 was a very good year vocally.

In 2006 he had rasp and a fantastic range, as heard on Sailing - probably one my favorite Axl moments of all time. In 2010 Axl had the power and rasp in his voice that honestly was IMO the most aggresive he has sounded live since the 90's. One listen to YCBM from the London gig with Duff is a good example of that