Rolling Stones Eternal Touring Thread

Zint

Its early so i wont be able to explain this well. Tom Waits is what would have happened if Bruce's car had never got started. He's the boss raised in the back of a carnival by Charles Bukowski and Kurt Weill with Randy Newman and Leadbelly playing through a crackly old radio in the corner. If he sounded like Paul Rodgers it wouldn't make any sense. Have you heard Rod Stewart doing Downtown Train and Tom Trauberts Blues? It sounds completely soulless. I actually admire Waits for making his voice such an integral part of his songwriting. You couldn't write like him without that voice to back it up.

I get its pretty off putting to some but there isn't a songwriter on the planet I find as poignant and as cool and as funny and as dark and as inspiring and perceptive as Tom Waits.

The funny thing is that he was a huge Dylan fan, and Dylan became a huge fan of his.. later era Dylan definitely took a page or two from Tom's book.

Dylan even invited Tom to tour with him, and Tom declined,but I think that ties in to Tom being very picky about where he plays and Bob doesn't give a shit about that.

His interviews with Letterman over the years are classic. When Dave had Tori Amos on right after 9/11, she did "Time". I think Dave's a big fan of his and Tom's pretty loyal to Dave when he has something new to promote. He's gone on Fallon and Conan, but the Letterman/Waits interviews never disappoint.

He also holds his own as an actor, he had a few duds like Cold Feet, but for the most part, great character actor who got to work with some great people. Down By Law is one of my favorite movies. He could make a really bad movie worth watching, he was also in a lot of Coppola's movies in the early-mid 80s... Outsiders, Cotton Club, and Rumble Fish.

He found a way to make money in licensing his songs out to movies, I don't know if he's ever given songs to movies he's been in, it's usually one or the other - Goin Out West in Fight Club, Little Drop of Poison in Shrek, Underground in Robots, anything else that's on Orphans - people have heard his songs in a LOT of movies.

Tom and Keith don't see each other much because they live on opposite coasts, but Tom's piece in Keith's "Life" book was pretty cool. Tom was on a Stones session during Dirty Work, and I'm sure him being there kept Keith from taking a knife to Mick.

What the hell is Taylor doing on Satisfaction? ...wow :lol:

Hopefully they keep having Mick Taylor do more songs.

Full San Jose setlist:

Get Off Of My Cloud

It's Only Rock N' Roll

Paint It Black

It's All Over Now (w/ John Fogerty)

Gimme Shelter

No Expectations

Let It Bleed (w/ Bonnie Raitt)

Emotional Rescue

Bitch

One More Shot

Honky Tonk Women

Before They Make Me Run

Happy

Midnight Rambler (w/ Mick Taylor)

Miss You

Start Me Up

Tumbling Dice

Brown Sugar

Sympathy For The Devil

---

You Can't Always Get What You Want

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Satisfaction (w/ Mick Taylor)

Glad to see Bitch back. Surprised they dropped Doom And Gloom.

I would have a massive erection if Keith whipped out Little T & A, namely in Toronto. That's always been one of my favorites.

Pretty sure Keith's songs are gonna stay the same. I'm okay with that...my first Stones gig he did The Worst and Infamy. Bleh.

Little T&A would be cool though.

I would go with Dead Flowers or Beast of Burden. Tough choice for me between those two.

Dead Flowers is the most likely to be played without getting voted on probably though (Not just this show, but in general). I think I'm gonna vote for Sway, even though it's likely Mick won't play on it.

I would go with Dead Flowers or Beast of Burden. Tough choice for me between those two.

Dead Flowers is the most likely to be played without getting voted on probably though (Not just this show, but in general). I think I'm gonna vote for Sway, even though it's likely Mick won't play on it.

Sway or Dead Flowers would be awesome to hear at the Boston gigs! I think you are right about Dead Flowers. I just got a SB boot of the Pay per view show today from Japan and it has Dead Flowers on it....

hope they do the voting for the chicago shows. wish they had a list of guests too lol

still have to buy a ticket

Methinks you'll get Buddy Guy and someone else...

For Toronto, I'm thinking maybe Bryan Adams will guest? :shrugs:

Sway or Dead Flowers would be awesome to hear at the Boston gigs! I think you are right about Dead Flowers. I just got a SB boot of the Pay per view show today from Japan and it has Dead Flowers on it....

They played Dead Flowers in Oakland too. Only song out of all the poll songs between San Jose and Vegas that has been played on this tour, so there's no way I'll waste a vote on that one.

Voting is now open for Vegas:

Rocks Off

Beast Of Burden

Dead Flowers

Sway

Moonlight Mile

Fucking hard choice to make!

Anyone who doesn't vote for Moonlight Mile...with Mick Taylor in the house...is out of their fucking mind!

Rocks Off

Beast Of Burden

Dead Flowers

Sway

Moonlight Mile

Anyone who doesn't vote for Moonlight Mile...with Mick Taylor in the house...is out of their fucking mind!

I keep bouncing back and forth between Sway and Moonlight Mile. There's no guarantee that Mick would play on either one though.

Have they ever done Moonlight Mile live? I know they only played Sway for the first time in '06...

Rocks Off

Beast Of Burden

Dead Flowers

Sway

Moonlight Mile

I keep bouncing back and forth between Sway and Moonlight Mile. There's no guarantee that Mick would play on either one though.

Have they ever done Moonlight Mile live? I know they only played Sway for the first time in '06...

Yes they played it often on the 1999 No Security tour

Personally I would love to hear them do Salt of the Earth...the only two live versions I know of were Atlantic City 89 with Axl and Izzy and again on the Licks Tour I believe...one of my favorite Stones songs..........

Rocks Off

Beast Of Burden

Dead Flowers

Sway

Moonlight Mile

If they get "Moonlight Mile" to win, odds are good Mick Taylor will play it, it was also one of the few songs Keith didn't play on out of all their albums. I also saw "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" written in their rehearsal notepads. "Sway" is great but they've played it far more over the years and Ron's done fine with it. Moonlight can't be done properly by anyone else but Mick Taylor, it sounds too close to "Memory Motel" the way they did do it.

Edited by dalsh327

Just check the stats - Sway has been played 21 times (All in '05-'07), and Moonlight Mile has been played 14 times (All in '99). Not sure which I'll vote for yet...

Just curious do you have a link to where you found the stats? would like to check it out thanks......