Rolling Stones Eternal Touring Thread

Zint

It's just a rehearsal show that you also get two million for. I don't see what the big deal is.

Tacky is the word. High end prostitutes also offer a service for large sums of cash.

As do many other professions, from accountants to mechanics. Are they all whores too?

They don't position themselves as artists and align themselves with a certain integrity so it's not really applicable as a comparison.

That may be so (although I think some people exaggerate with what they expect from artists), but comparing them to high-end prostitutes is not applicable either.

I typed the above but as I was typing it I realized I was wrong. Both artists and prostitutes sell an illusion or a fantasy.

It's pretty absurd I think going on about what an entertainer should or should not do. They should tour so everyone can see them ,but play small places. They should have a proper functioning show and crew but charge low ticket prices. They should make music but they're wrong to get angry if we download it for free. They should embrace alternative financing methods but shouldn't play private shows or be in commercials.

I think it's like being angry when that call girl you like and you keep seeing fucks other clients, some of them richer than you.

It's from a couple of years ago but it gets into Rolling Stones, Inc.

http://fortune.com/2013/07/21/inside-rolling-stones-inc-fortune-2002/

Promoters, lack of album sales, demand, hiring union crew, ticket brokers, ticket fees, gas, are the big reason why shows cost so much. My issue with them is that if they're getting sponsors, the ticket prices should come down the more sponsors they have. You could theoretically do free concerts with

Is Keith's wife is selling her bags at the shows?

Never understood the attitude that they should have some special "integrity", whatever that means, or if they license their music for commercials it is some type of blasphemy.

They can charge anything they want. If the fans have an issue with it don't buy the tickets or don't buy, or steal, their music.

Edited by classicrawker

I paid 100€ last year for the ticket (GA standing)... and I saw the fucking Stones! And they were great; probably the best live act I've seen so far.

Also, I saw AC/DC, Aerosmith and Clapton this/last year, and they were all charging around 100€ for the ticket; so not counting VIP tickets, I can't say the Stones are too expensive.

I paid 100€ last year for the ticket (GA standing)... and I saw the fucking Stones! And they were great; probably the best live act I've seen so far.

Also, I saw AC/DC, Aerosmith and Clapton this/last year, and they were all charging around 100€ for the ticket; so not counting VIP tickets, I can't say the Stones are too expensive.

Here in the States it depends on where the seats are. For the last U.S. Arena tour VIP pit tickets were going for over $2000.00. Lower bowl tickets were $600.00. The cheapest nosebleeds were going for $150.00.

I lucked out and got $85 lucky dip for both Boston shows and sat in the lower bowl for both shows. If I had not got those lucky dip tickets it would have been the first Stones tour I missed since my first in 1975.

I wasn't paying the face asking value for tickets but I also did not begrudge them charging that much if they can get it.

Edited by classicrawker

Listen I understand your anger

I think 'anger' is a bit strong there. At best I am apathetic about the Rolling Stones these days.

If it bothers you so much you just don't buy a ticket to their shows. Pretty simple really. :shrugs:

I don't. I wouldn't pay a tenner for the Strolling Bones if they played my local pub.

I paid 100 last year for the ticket (GA standing)... and I saw the fucking Stones! And they were great; probably the best live act I've seen so far.

Also, I saw AC/DC, Aerosmith and Clapton this/last year, and they were all charging around 100 for the ticket; so not counting VIP tickets, I can't say the Stones are too expensive.

Here in the States it depends on where the seats are. For the last U.S. Arena tour VIP pit tickets were going for over $2000.00. Lower bowl tickets were $600.00. The cheapest nosebleeds were going for $150.00.

I lucked out and got $85 lucky dip for both Boston shows and sat in the lower bowl for both shows. If I had not got those lucky dip tickets it would have been the first Stones tour I missed since my first in 1975.

I wasn't paying the face asking value for tickets but I also did not begrudge them charging that much if they can get it.

That's why I love the Lucky Dip system; it gives them the option to charge ridiculous prices for the fans willing to pay them, but also gives people the option to get in the door for a reasonable price, and with the possibility to get good seats even. I mean, I paid $85 for a $1,500 ticket in 2013 because of the LD's.

It's just a rehearsal show that you also get two million for. I don't see what the big deal is.

Tacky is the word. High end prostitutes also offer a service for large sums of cash.

As do many other professions, from accountants to mechanics. Are they all whores too?

They don't position themselves as artists and align themselves with a certain integrity so it's not really applicable as a comparison.

That may be so (although I think some people exaggerate with what they expect from artists), but comparing them to high-end prostitutes is not applicable either.

I typed the above but as I was typing it I realized I was wrong. Both artists and prostitutes sell an illusion or a fantasy.

It's pretty absurd I think going on about what an entertainer should or should not do.

When you make a point of aligning yourself with a certain integrity then people come to expect that of you so if you don't want to be scrutinised is this manner then maybe avoid that shit in the first instance? Remember, we're talking about a band that started off as blues snobs and 'the voice of the youth!'.

Personally i think it's all a load of bollocks and the Rolling Stones are overrated but you can't criticise people that point out very pertinent contradictions.

It makes me sick somehow. It is so antithetical to rock n' roll, selling yourself like a hooker. Nobody is expecting Jagger to start challenging the establishment but jesus, have a bit of pride.

I doubt you would see Neil Young doing stuff like this.

It's very easy to harp on about artistic integrity, but if someone was offering you $2mil for an hour and a halfs work you'd be a fucking moron to turn it down.

It makes me sick somehow. It is so antithetical to rock n' roll, selling yourself like a hooker. Nobody is expecting Jagger to start challenging the establishment but jesus, have a bit of pride.

It's very easy to harp on about artistic integrity, but if someone was offering you $2mil for an hour and a halfs work you'd be a fucking moron to turn it down.

Not if I already had 400 million (or whatever Jagger has) already in the bank.

I mean how much money do these people actually want? They couldn't spend that amount of money if they lived seven life spells!

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

This is exactly the point Towelie and exactly why when real people with actual integrity come along they are worth their weight in gold. People have turned down a lot more than 2 million in this world for the sake of their integrity. Moz for example, d'ya reckon you could get a bacon roll down him for a couple of mil? Cuz i don't.

On the way down to Columbus now. Seeing the backing band play a club gig tonight - I guess on occasion Ronnie or Charlie sit in for a few songs, fingers crossed for tonight! Weather is looking really shitty for tomorrow, hope it holds out.

Song vote for tomorrow is up:

Dead Flowers

Paint It Black

Shattered

Heartbreaker

I'd really appreciate it if you guys could take a second and vote for Heartbreaker :)

http://www.rollingstones.com/2015/05/29/stonescolumbus-song-vote/

Found a few of the openers. I get Kid Rock in Columbus - not my first choice but it could be a lot worse. I get a band called St. Paul & The Broken Bones in Buffalo - someone described them as the Blues Brothers with a dash of Al Green for good measure, that sounds cool to me. No word on Indy or Detroit yet.

St Paul & The Broken Bones are the shit. You won't be disappointed.

• Like 1

In the venue for the backing band gig, front and center in the barrier. Already seen Darryl Jones, Tim Ries, and Chuck Leavell while queuing, all were talking to everyone in line. They said Lisa Fischer may or may not show up tonight.

The backing band show was a lot of fun. It was basically split into 2 halves; the first half was jazz renditions of Stones songs, and the second half was original material (I.e. Tim and Chuck's solo stuff), basically a high energy blues band, along the lines of the Blues Brothers. The band had a sort of rotating lineup throughout the gig - the drummer and 2 guitarists were local, they had Stevie Wonder's trumpet player, then Tim Ries and Karl Denson on sax and Darryl Jones on bass. Bernard Fowler sang for the first half and Chuck Leavell played keys and sang the second half.

They did 4 Stones songs in the first half, opening with a bebop version of You Can't Always Get What You Want. It went on for about 20 minutes, and I didn't really care for the arrangement on this one. That was instrumental, no vocals. Next up was a swing version of Honky Tonk Women, much better arrangement and having Bernard on vocals for the rest of the Stones songs from here on helped. They did a jazz ballad version of Wild Horses, my favorite arrangement of the night. Finally closing out the first half was their take on Miss You. It started off really cool with this sort of Spanish groove, but then it got really heavy into fusion after the verses and they sort of lost me. Bernard sounded great on all of these, very soulful and not at all how Mick sings them. I spent most of the first half thinking Bernard would be an excellent vocalist for Tower Of Power.

They did a quick set change to set up Chuck's keyboard front and center, and he came up for the second half. I didn't know any of the music in the second half, but there was so much energy, both in sound and presence. And Chuck really knows how to command a stage, he's a great frontman, especially considering he's a pianist. Despite not knowing the music, I actually enjoyed the second half a lot more. They came back for an encore of Ruby Tuesday, with Bernard on vocals. This one they played pretty similar to the original, and it was a really cool vibe with everyone in the club singing the whole song.

All in all it wasn't at all what I expected, but I'm glad I went, had a great time.

I didn't take any pictures during the gig, but this was everyone when they took their bow at the end:

U1m9j8c.jpg

• Like 1

If it wasn't for the private show, the Stones wouldn't have played San Diego. No wonder why they agreed to do it.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/may/29/rolling-stones-whitworth-belly-up-concert-jagger/?#article-copy

Sounds like she had the show of a lifetime.

http://www.kprifm.com/2015/05/28/chris-cantore-meryl-of-the-belly-up-talk-private-rolling-stones-show/

Just picked up our LD's - we're towards the top of the lower bowl, almost exactly dead center in the opposite end zone. $150 face value. Definitely rigged though, the couple before us got the 2 seats on one side and the people after U.S. Got the other side. In a sense it is still "random", but not really totally random.

Just picked up our LD's - we're towards the top of the lower bowl, almost exactly dead center in the opposite end zone. $150 face value. Definitely rigged though, the couple before us got the 2 seats on one side and the people after U.S. Got the other side. In a sense it is still "random", but not really totally random.

Yeah but didn't you already win pit tickets with your LD tickets last U.S. tour? You only win lotto once in a lifetime my friend............ :lol:

• Like 1

Amazing show, but kind of a boring setlist:

Jumpin' Jack Flash

It's Only Rock N Roll

Let's Spend The Night Together

Tumbling Dice

Doom & Gloom

Bitch

Wild Horses

Paint It Black (song vote)

Honky Tonk Women

Before They Make Me Run

Happy

Midnight Rambler

Miss You

Gimme Shelter

Start Me Up

Sympathy For The Devil

Brown Sugar

---

You Can't Always Get What You Want

Satisfaction

Seriously bummed with the Sticky Fingers cuts - I haven't seen them do Bitch before, but they did it in that slot in San Diego too, so it's looking like a static song. Then they cut SF song 3 which really sucks, and they didn't replace it with anything else.

Musically it was maybe the best I've seen, or at least very close behind Rome last year. Mick was especially amazing, easily the highlight. He was really working the crowd hard (the crowd sucked). Keef was playing great but wasn't very active tonight, he only came over to our side for about 15 seconds during Satisfaction. LSTNT was the highlight of the show for me, always love when they do that one live.

I am really glad I'm seeing a few more shows on this tour, but I hope tonight was just a fluke with the setlist. Its just disappointing to know they can (and in the case of San Diego, do) mix it up to an extent, but tonight was just...all regular songs.

• Like 1