Rolling Stones Eternal Touring Thread

Zint

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Oh man I missed this! I need to hear these! Anything from post-A Bigger Bang?

Nope, looks like it ranges from 1962-2002. 

I’ve downloaded them and listened to the first couple tracks, excellent so far. Stellar quality too, it’s essentially fully mixed studio tracks that just haven’t been mastered. Gonna have a lot of fun digging through this lot. 

• Like 2

If the folks on IORR are to be believed, there may be more of this stuff coming, potentially another batch or two of 50 tracks time will tell I suppose. 

Still only about halfway through disc 1, but really enjoying it so far. They’re all slagging off Nobody’s Perfect over there but I think it’s a great poppy Stones track. Their version of I’ve Got Dreams To Remember is sensational, I’m a sucker for the Stones doing Otis and this one is great. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, Dean said:

Can't believe I'd never heard any of those studio outtakes leaking! Got them playing now. Are there only a handful scattered throughout the discs that were at least known within their fan community?

I'm by no means an expert on the Stones' unreleased materials, but the impression I've gotten on IORR is it's split about 50/50 between stuff not known to exist and stuff that was known. Some of the songs are band new to the fanbase's knowledge, some were known about/theorized to exist but weren't circulating (IORR with Bowie is the best example of this category) and some were either circulating in lesser quality and/or alternate takes. I am definitely not the one to ask specifics, but it seems a very large portion of it is completely new. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SAU3R said:

There are rumors that the No Filter 2020 US tour will be rescheduled for this fall.

Rumored dates so far are Minneapolis on August 28 and Pittsburgh on October 3. 

My fingers are crossed that BC gets it all together fully by then so I can attend the Vancouver show

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Charlie’s out...

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/rolling-stones-charlie-watts-us-tour-1207707/

May not be a popular opinion, but this makes it harder to miss the upcoming tour. Steve Jordan is a great drummer, and I think the setlist and tempos could change a bit.

I caught the original Sabbath lineup a bunch of times, but by 2005 Bill Ward just didn’t have it for a full gig. They sounded great with Clufetos on the last bunch of shows I caught. 

Drums are a physically demanding job. And the power and speed at 80 isn’t the same as it was at even 60. He was a Totally different beast in his 20s and 30s. 

Hope he gets well soon. But fuck I’d like to see some of the upcoming shows in person.....

https://vimeo.com/261974485/comments

Jordan backing Uncle Neil.

As an aside, any word on opening bands yet?

Edited by Powderfinger
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

Charlie’s out...

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/rolling-stones-charlie-watts-us-tour-1207707/

May not be a popular opinion, but this makes it harder to miss the upcoming tour. Steve Jordan is a great drummer, and I think the setlist and tempos could change a bit.

I caught the original Sabbath lineup a bunch of times, but by 2005 Bill Ward just didn’t have it for a full gig. They sounded great with Clufetos on the last bunch of shows I caught. 

Drums are a physically demanding job. And the power and speed at 80 isn’t the same as it was at even 60. He was a Totally different beast in his 20s and 30s. 

Hope he gets well soon. But fuck I’d like to see some of the upcoming shows in person.....

https://vimeo.com/261974485/comments

Jordan backing Uncle Neil.

As an aside, any word on opening bands yet?

Wow. It'll be crazy to not have Charlie

19 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Wow. It'll be crazy to not have Charlie

Charlie, who is 80 years old, just had surgery, which was successful, but can't do the tour.

Honestly, my mom said from the get go, Charlie and Bill were the most laid back members of the Stones. I think Jagger is the only one who actually moves around the stage. it's a miracle these guys do what they do and get it done!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, username said:

I still really hope that they'll just honor previously agreed upon / contractually obligated events and then quit. There isn't a real Rolling Stones without Charlie, not really. 

It’s hard to know what they will do. For some people it wasn’t the same after, Brian Jones, or Mick Taylor, or Bill Wyman. 

I think so long as Mick & Keith are onstage Joe Blow public won’t care. For the rest of us, how will Midnight Rambler for example EVER be the same. The look between Keith and Charlie at any given moment could turn that band around in a heartbeat. It’s gonna be a different band, but hopefully a slightly quicker version of the band. 

I saw Sabbath with Bill Ward a few times, he’s one of the best drummers I’ve heard, but by the 90s & 00s he hadn’t the same power, speed and energy in his playing he had in the 60s & 70s. And how could he! Drums are the hardest to play as you get older.

I was sad/glad they had Tommy Clufetos the last few years they were touring. The band sounded better than they would have with Bill Ward at that point. But the drum parts that are so iconic were all Bill. 

You might have missed the stones with Charlie, don’t miss them with Steve Jordan. I think the next 18 months really are the last time..... 

• GNFNR 1

10 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

It’s hard to know what they will do. For some people it wasn’t the same after, Brian Jones, or Mick Taylor, or Bill Wyman. 

I think so long as Mick & Keith are onstage Joe Blow public won’t care. For the rest of us, how will Midnight Rambler for example EVER be the same. The look between Keith and Charlie at any given moment could turn that band around in a heartbeat. It’s gonna be a different band, but hopefully a slightly quicker version of the band. 

I saw Sabbath with Bill Ward a few times, he’s one of the best drummers I’ve heard, but by the 90s & 00s he hadn’t the same power, speed and energy in his playing he had in the 60s & 70s. And how could he! Drums are the hardest to play as you get older.

I was sad/glad they had Tommy Clufetos the last few years they were touring. The band sounded better than they would have with Bill Ward at that point. But the drum parts that are so iconic were all Bill. 

You might have missed the stones with Charlie, don’t miss them with Steve Jordan. I think the next 18 months really are the last time..... 

I don't know man. Brian died in 69, Taylor left in 74 and Bill left in 93. That last one is almost 30 years ago. And like you said replacing him (sort of) was already questionable. Now, 30 years on, replacing Charlie? The Stones do have a pretty large hardcore fanbase that might reject continuing without Charlie under the Stones moniker. I don't know, I just hope they'll do the honorable thing. 

I think that as long as Keith and Mick are there and functioning, the two original members and co-founders, I can't see them quitting. Everyone else is basically replaceable, even Charlie Watts. Musically speaking, with Steve Jordan they will probably sound more tight than they have in a long time.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve just watched some videos of their show in Charlotte and holy fuck, the band is absolutely on fire! Keith’s playing is the best it’s been in years and they’re all having so much fun on stage. Jagger is simply unbelievable, how can he move like this at 78?? Ronnie is solid as always, especially impressive considering his cancer treatment last year! Sure you definitely notice that their groove changed with Steve, but his playing is so energetic, it makes the band sound fresh and youthful. I hope to see them in Europe next year!

Edited by SAU3R