Rolling Stones Eternal Touring Thread

Zint

Yeah the 2 shows so far have been excellent, the sound on the streams has been great. It’s should sound amazing in person. Jagger is unbelievable for 78, I’ve always been a Keith guy, but Jagger is phenomenal for his age. His voice, his harp playing, his stage presence... Unreal energy for a 78 year old. 

It’s been nice to see the interactions between Mick & Keith on this tour, the tributes to Charlie have been touching. 

Steve Jordan had brought a bit more drive into the set and Keith seems to have upped his game slightly to catch up. The tempos are a bit faster. It’s sounding great.

@Powerage5 you should have an amazing time at the gigs you’re hitting. Make sure and let us know how they were in person.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

Yeah the 2 shows so far have been excellent, the sound on the streams has been great. It’s should sound amazing in person. Jagger is unbelievable for 78, I’ve always been a Keith guy, but Jagger is phenomenal for his age. His voice, his harp playing, his stage presence... Unreal energy for a 78 year old. 

It’s been nice to see the interactions between Mick & Keith on this tour, the tributes to Charlie have been touching. 

Steve Jordan had brought a bit more drive into the set and Keith seems to have upped his game slightly to catch up. The tempos are a bit faster. It’s sounding great.

@Powerage5 you should have an amazing time at the gigs you’re hitting. Make sure and let us know how they were in person.

Mick really blew me away in particular in 2019 following the heart surgery too - he was performing like he really had something to prove. Glad to hear he's still got that fire this year. 

I've made a point of not listening to any recordings of the first two gigs - I don't want to have any preconceived notions of how Steve Jordan is slotting in and I'd rather have that first experience be in person, particularly since my first gig is only a week into the tour. But the comments I'm reading are msotly extremely positive, so I'm excited. I'll absolutely be posting my thoughts after each gig :) 

11 hours ago, solstar said:

Hey, I'll be in LA for their Oct 14th show. Does anyone know if it's possible to get cheaper tickets than the ones in Ticketmaster from another reliable source??

Can you get any cheaper than $69.50?

Review of the Pittsburgh gig last night...

In a word, fantastic. Obviously, The Stones sans Charlie is far from ideal - it's hard to go see that band and see one of the key players missing. But, I can't imagine a better fill-in/replacement than Steve. He has a very strange mix of how he approaches the songs; some of them he plays nearly verbatim to the way Charlie recorded them, others he plays closer to the way Charlie was playing them live towards the end, and then there's a couple where he puts his own twist on them. It's actually amazing how a different drummer can change the entire dynamic of a song, it's something you don't think about too often at least in rock. But in a band like The Stones where there's so much space and breathing room in the songs, the drums stand right out.

The most noticeably different ones were (And in both cases, big improvements IMO) Paint It Black and Jumpin' Jack Flash - both of those songs had seriously been lacking in the tempo department for years, and Steve has really breathed some new life into them by pushing those tempos back up. 

Other songs benefitted from being played closer to the studio cut - Street Fighting Man pops immediately to mind. It's a very small thing, but especially in the opening slot of the set, having Steve kick in with those 2-4 hits on the floor toms like the studio cut add a nice dynamic. Tumbling Dice is another one that felt very faithful to the studio cut - Steve definitely did a couple of Charlie's fills from the studio cut I can't recall ever hearing Charlie do live. 

The two where he seemed to put his own spin on things the most were Miss You and Midnight Rambler. Miss You was fantastic - maybe the best rendition I've ever heard in person. Steve clearly locks into that funk groove a lot better than Charlie did I think. Midnight Rambler was interesting because it felt so different. Charlie was loose, the band was loose - but it worked for a song like that. With Steve, it's a tight rhythmic exercise doing the hi-hat swing instead of the riding on the crash as Charlie did for a lot of the song. I thought his transitions into and out of the middle section were a bit clunky but otherwise no complaints about how he plays the song. 

It's easy to get wrapped up in the talk around Steve since it's the big thing on this tour. But even outside that, it was a great gig. The rest of the band feels reinvigorated and playing with a fury - they're playing like they have something to prove. I saw it noted on IORR but I did notice it last night - Mick and Keef seem to be interacting a lot more on this tour, and thats great to see. The setlist was good, I was happy to get three cuts I've never seen live before. 19th Nervouse Breakdown was especially good live, glad they've reverted to the original arrangement than the one they did on the Bigger Bang Tour. Always happy to see Slipping Away as one of Keith's songs, though I wish they'd revive Little T&A or Can't Be Seen again - both would sound massive with Steve on the kit I think. Good, lively crowd and the weather ended up being perfect for an outdoor gig in fall. There's not much I can say to put this gig down - it's hard to compare to a gig with Charlie, but that's not to take away from what is on display here. 

Sidenote - struck gold with Lucky Dips again - pulled a pair in section 110, slightly elevated in the lower bowl on Ronnie's side about a third of the way back the catwalk towards the mini stage. $366 tickets for $21, can't beat that :D 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the review powerage! Glad you had a good time. 

From the streams, JJF immediately stood out as sounding better. Rambler was going to be the biggest change I felt, but I think with a few more shows under his belt it’ll be even better. 19th Nervous Breakdown is a welcome addition to the set for certain. Living in a ghost town is working well live. There’s been some really nice moments between Mick & Keith on the dates so far. Jagger is unreal for 78. His voice and harp playing are great, dunno how he has the lungs for the Vocals and the distance he covers on stage each night. 

I pulled the exact same ticket only Keith’s side last Lucky Dips I got in Seattle! It’s a nice vantage point. 

I really wish I’d got to see them on this leg, alas Twas not to be. We’re definitely into the last 18 months of this band I think..... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

The gigs on this run have been excellent. The setlist from last night in LA was great. Rocks off is one of my favourite stones tunes off definitely my favourite stones album. 

I quite like the idea of LSTNT as an opener. Rocks Off is always a great pick, glad I got to see that one live in 2015. 

• 5 weeks later...

Also really enjoyed the Detroit gig. The band as a whole was in fine form, though I think Mick had a bit of an off night - a few times he dropped words, forgot a couple lyrics, etc. Nothing particularly concerning, but not the best form I've seen him in. Steve is slotting in so well; he looked and sounded comfortable in Pittsburgh, but by this gig he was absolutely exuding confidence in his role. He's found his groove on some songs a bit better than he had by Pittsburgh; Midnight Rambler is still a totally different feel than it was with Charlie, but it's now less metronomic on Steve's part and the song is again swinging like it should. Rambler was a highlight the other night even; one of the finest renditions I've heard in person. I love seeing the Stones in Detroit because I also love Motown, and the way they wear their love of Motown on their sleeves and always pay tribute is a nice little bonus. Whilst I enjoyed Just My Imagination back in 2015 a lot more, Ain't Too Proud To Beg was excellent - glad to finally see that one live, and the first time it's been played since A Bigger Bang no less. Connection was...less exciting. It was cool to see it live since it's something of a rarity, but I'd be lying if I said it was much more than a novelty to me. 

All in all, an excellent gig. If Monday was my last time seeing the Stones live, I can close that book and say they're going out still at the top of their game. That said, everyone is having so much fun, it's hard to imagine we're quite at the end yet. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Good to see them playing that song, I hope it stays in the set when I see them in Paris and Gelsenkirchen.

But that stage though, it’s absolutely horrendous. Looks so cheap imo, especially in contrast to the No Filter stage 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

• 2 weeks later...