IRS demo version from 1999

MattElias

Are the vocals different on this demo? They have to be.

Correct. The 1999 demos of IRS, Catcher and TWAT have different vocals because they are the Seaven Beaven versions. Not the re-recorded versions by Roy Thomas Baker that the actual album is worked off of

Are the vocals different on this demo? They have to be.

Correct. The 1999 demos of IRS, Catcher and TWAT have different vocals because they are the Seaven Beaven versions. Not the re-recorded versions by Roy Thomas Baker that the actual album is worked off of

Good to know

No, this audio has been messed with and retuned. This is not the real demo.

This is the REAL 1999 version:

That's something that i don't understand on CD. The guitars sound is too low. Somebody has any hypothesis why they did that?

Edited by MattElias

The vocal tracks on the 1999 demos are exactly the same as the album versions

This posted version is just Axl's vocals digitally altered to be higher pitched. However, the real 1999 demos are in the same key and it is very evident that the vocal tracks are indeed the same

Edit: take the 2006 demo and using Audacity increase the pitch by 1/2 step (5.946%) - there is the "fake 1999" in the first post

Edited by WhazUp

Really cause I'm pretty sure if you listen to the album version of TWAT and the 199 demo the way he says "broken glass and cigarettes, writing on the wall" are quite different from one another. Same key...just sung kinda differently, ya know?

This posted version is just Axl's vocals digitally altered to be higher pitched. However, the real 1999 demos are in the same key and it is very evident that the vocal tracks are indeed the same

Edit: take the 2006 demo and using Audacity increase the pitch by 1/2 step (5.946%) - there is the "fake 1999" demo posted in this topic

Oh, i was so excited that this version was way better, and then you throw on me this cold water bucket. Ahh....

Really cause I'm pretty sure if you listen to the album version of TWAT and the 199 demo the way he says "broken glass and cigarettes, writing on the wall" are quite different from one another. Same key...just sung kinda differently, ya know?

I know what you are talking about, and if you try to play along to the song on guitar you will notice that the 1999 demos are not perfectly in tune with normal concert pitch

My reasoning for this is the tape speed being ever so slightly off when the songs were being transferred from tape to digital. If you listen to the IRS, Catcher, and TWAT demos from 1999 they are off pitch because of this but the vocal tracks are indeed the same as the later demos and the album versions

It is.

The same goes from the TWAT demo from that era, the live version of The Blues 2001 and the Catcher leak with Brian May.

This is the Chinese Democracy I'd want to hear most. The 1999/2000 version.

I really don't get it. Yes, CD has some moments where you get lost midst the 5 guitars and 7 synth effects but this 1999 IRS version just doesn't have the aggressiveness the final version has. It's just weak, IMO. I stand be my 'you guys grew accustomed to these versions' theory.

I really don't get it. Yes, CD has some moments where you get lost midst the 5 guitars and 7 synth effects but this 1999 IRS version just doesn't have the aggressiveness the final version has. It's just weak, IMO. I stand be my 'you guys grew accustomed to these versions' theory.

I know what you mean, but I do think a lot of that has to do with it not being a final mix. It could do with some better mixing, though I love it's raw feel. But they shouldn't have kept adding to it imo.

I know what you are talking about, and if you try to play along to the song on guitar you will notice that the 1999 demos are not perfectly in tune with normal concert pitch

My reasoning for this is the tape speed being ever so slightly off when the songs were being transferred from tape to digital. If you listen to the IRS, Catcher, and TWAT demos from 1999 they are off pitch because of this but the vocal tracks are indeed the same as the later demos and the album versions

you could be right, now that I think about it. It would make sense for Axl to want to use vocals from when he was younger anyway.

I was just re-listening to the REAL demo of IRS from 1999 and thinking to myself that the record would've been much cooler had it just come out around that time instead of a fucking decade later. But Ax is the artist so he has the right to take as long as he wants (a decade of re-recording is fucking ridiculous though)

Edited by rocknroll41

I think I've been listening to the fake 1999 IRS demo for a while now! No wonder I never thought it sounded good! I just listened to the real one, and it sounds amazing! Way better than the album version in my opinion. I'd kill to hear the rest of the late 90's early 2000's songs.