New Buckethead Pikes Discussion

Cosmo

I hope that his Tarot Card concept album sounds more inspired than the last couple of Pikes. 

"Starting a new recording project in October called "Music In Pictures". Using the artwork of the 78 tarot cards to make 78 tracks of music based on Pamela Colman Smith's artwork. This will be completed in October of 2021 in celebration of her life and her amazing artistry. "

http://www.bucketheadpikes.com/pamela.html

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 1:24 AM, Sosso said:

I hope that his Tarot Card concept album sounds more inspired than the last couple of Pikes. 

"Starting a new recording project in October called "Music In Pictures". Using the artwork of the 78 tarot cards to make 78 tracks of music based on Pamela Colman Smith's artwork. This will be completed in October of 2021 in celebration of her life and her amazing artistry. "

http://www.bucketheadpikes.com/pamela.html

The Pikes have definitely run out of steam. And I say that as a huge Bucket fan and completist.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

The Pikes have definitely run out of steam. And I say that as a huge Bucket fan and completist.

I liked most of the Pikes until #270 and even the Halloween Pikes from 2015.

I agree; I haven't listened to the pikes not given a digital release (if ones like Stone of Folly even shipped yet), but for the most part they just sound like great riffs, but lack in memorable solos that make the album stand out and have you keep revisiting them.  I imagine the tarot project will be like Bucketheadland 5 13 10 31, where it'll have more impactful production and flow.

10 hours ago, James Bond said:

I feel like 300 would be a nice round number to move on from the Pikes.

I hope we see him go back to doing collaborations with other artists again; it feels like ages ago that projects with Bootsy and Prismo were announced, and it seems weird that him and Brain never got into the studio together after their recent tour together with Brewer.  I get that Bucket's in the art business as well, but it's also been a distraction from his music production.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Did anyone order the vinyl cover for that?

Yes and some of them are very dissapppinted. 

Paying $45 (+ shipping) for one year in advance is not the best deal. 

Edited by Sosso

I really do wish there was a better way to order from the Pikes. It wouldn't take much to get the site better organized and shipping a little clearer. That said, I find it slightly amusing because usually by the time my order shows up in the post I've long forgotten about it. I just picture Bucket himself packing up the stuff and walking it to his local USPS drop off.

2 hours ago, James Bond said:

I really do wish there was a better way to order from the Pikes. It wouldn't take much to get the site better organized and shipping a little clearer. That said, I find it slightly amusing because usually by the time my order shows up in the post I've long forgotten about it. I just picture Bucket himself packing up the stuff and walking it to his local USPS drop off.

I genuinely think that's what happens. Either Bucket or his family at least.

2 hours ago, Sosso said:

Yes and some of them are very dissapppinted. 

Paying $45 (+ shipping) for one year in advance is not the best deal. 

You've actually heard from people or just assuming / joking? Did the covers ship then?

9 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

You've actually heard from people or just assuming / joking? Did the covers ship then?

I'm in various groups on Facebook 

• Like 1

I find it so weird that the Halloween album got delayed; I fully expected something just like his 31 Days Pike series.  

Something's been bugging me about these album delays, like something might be up with Bucket's health again.  Hope all's okay.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Gackt said:

I find it so weird that the Halloween album got delayed; I fully expected something just like his 31 Days Pike series.  

Something's been bugging me about these album delays, like something might be up with Bucket's health again.  Hope all's okay.

He definitely has to hire a better management and accountant to handle the commerce. 

I hope that his heart doesn't makes problems as well. Maybe he just puts his focus on the Tarot Card project? 

Edited by Sosso

8 hours ago, Sosso said:

He definitely has to hire a better management and accountant to handle the commerce. 

I hope that his heart doesn't makes problems as well. Maybe he just puts his focus on the Tarot Card project? 

I'm excited about that Tarot project. Stuff like that and the recent Viggo soundtrack work are much more interesting than yet more Pikes. I wish he would do more guest work again as well, his early discography was cluttered with guest appearances but aside from Bootsy it has dropped right off. Maybe team up with Bill Laswell and Brain again as well - those collabs have always been amazing. Speaking of which, Transmutation deserves a deluxe vinyl remastered reissue.

• Like 2

On 7/5/2021 at 5:08 AM, ToonGuns said:

I'm excited about that Tarot project. Stuff like that and the recent Viggo soundtrack work are much more interesting than yet more Pikes. I wish he would do more guest work again as well, his early discography was cluttered with guest appearances but aside from Bootsy it has dropped right off. Maybe team up with Bill Laswell and Brain again as well - those collabs have always been amazing. Speaking of which, Transmutation deserves a deluxe vinyl remastered reissue.

I'd love to see Bucket reunite with Travis Dickerson especially; Thanatopsis has always been one of my favorite side projects of his, and albums like Population Override & Dragons of Eden are so good.

• Like 1

I'm all for more Buckethead live releases, but this seems a bit of an odd Pike release considering the overlap with the excellent 2019 live album and the truncated versions of Siege and Soothsayer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

I'm all for more Buckethead live releases, but this seems a bit of an odd Pike release considering the overlap with the excellent 2019 live album and the truncated versions of Siege and Soothsayer.

He should start a new "Bucketheadhand Live" series for digital & physical live albums. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sosso said:

@Tom2112 Bucket, Brian and Melissa have released two albums together: Best Regards (5 CDs) and Kind Regards (3 CDs) 

Cheers!! That's a lot of music! I've never really dove into Buckets albums because there's so much it's hard to know where to start!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Cheers!! That's a lot of music! I've never really dove into Buckets albums because there's so much it's hard to know where to start!

I would start with some of his albums from the 90s and early 2000s. Bucketheadland, Giant Robot, Colma, Monsters & Robots, Electric Tears, Crime Slunk Scene. That will give you a first impression of his work before diving into the collaborations with other artists and his Pikes series. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1