Diamond David Lee Roth showing up Sammy Hagar with his razor sharp wit and one of a kind sense of humor

Randy Lahey

Well, there you have it, folks. Dave is providing a great time, a spectacle, he's being the party, has all the tunes everyone loves, just does his own thing because he knows what he's doing and knows it will be what the people want... and Sammy is a complaining whiny little bitch.

Edited by DirtyDeeds

Well, there you have it, folks. Dave is providing a great time, a spectacle, he's being the party, has all the tunes everyone loves, just does his own thing because he knows what he's doing and knows it will be what the people want... and Sammy is a complaining whiny little bitch.

The difference is Dave is nothing without Van Halen while Sammy is a successful solo act.....I love Dave but he really is a cartoon character.....

The difference is Dave is nothing without Van Halen while Sammy is a successful solo act.....I love Dave but he really is a cartoon character.....

I'll agree Dave is nothing without Van Halen (although I do like a handful of his solo tunes, but they do not stand the test of time), but Sammy is nothing in Van Halen. I actually like Sammy Hagar... outside of Van Halen.

And I love Dave precisely because he's a cartoon character.

I'd take Dave's solo career over Sammy's, but the debut Montrose album crushes both.

I just love that line from Dave, "Sammy throws a party, I am the party"

Well, there you have it, folks. Dave is providing a great time, a spectacle, he's being the party, has all the tunes everyone loves, just does his own thing because he knows what he's doing 55and knows it will be what the people want... and Sammy is a complaining whiny little bitch.

I'll agree Dave is nothing without Van Halen (although I do like a handful of his solo tunes, but they do not stand the test of time), but Sammy is nothing in Van Halen. I actually like Sammy Hagar... outside of Van Halen.

And yet I thought Van Halen's best selling album was with Sammy?.....go figure........

Edited by classicrawker

So i gotta question regarding this. I didn't really follow Van Halen during this time. I started following them in 2004.

I think Roth is a better frontman overall... not that Sammy isn't a great singer, because he's awesome. But i feel Diamond Dave is the voice of Van Halen, a lot more charismatic, and he gives the whole show. While to me Sammy is just a great singer. Also the David Lee Roth material (songwise) is better.

But what happened here?

I guess they did a World tour with both which i already knew. Now did Roth brought his own band, or did both Sammy and Dave played with the Van Halens? That's the part i don't understand.

I thought they both played with the van halens on stage.

No, they both brought their own solo band. It was sometimes jokingly called the "Sans Halen" tour because it did not involve the Van Halen band, who hated both singers at the time. Van Halen was inactive as a band at the time.

Oh i see.

That's surprising. I thought at least one of them was playing with Van Halen.

This to me is the greatest feud in Rock music of all time. It's funny as hell, and i like them both. I like Sammy for being an honest, straight up, down to earth guy, but i also like Roth for being everything Sammy isn't. Charismatic, Volatile, a prima donna and so on.

In the end i think Roth has the shownman thing in his blood and Sammy lacks of it.

Well, there you have it, folks. Dave is providing a great time, a spectacle, he's being the party, has all the tunes everyone loves, just does his own thing because he knows what he's doing 55and knows it will be what the people want... and Sammy is a complaining whiny little bitch.

And yet I thought Van Halen's best selling album was with Sammy?.....go figure........
That would be just 5150, which rode the big wave of MTV after the success and expectation that 1984 with Roth built up, but on subsequent releases VH sold progressively less and less with Hagar. Overall, Van Halen sold way more albums with Roth than with Hagar, although this is something which Hagar does his best to be deceptive about. He has constantly tried to suggest that Van Hagar's success with him was way bigger.

Actually -- I was mistaken -- '1984' and the debut 'Van Halen' are the biggest selling Van halen albums, they both went (appropriately enough) Diamond.

fair enough but to say Sammy was nothing in Van Halen is pretty silly.......

Dave is such an asshole... Holy shit.

Yes but he is a funny asshole...god bless Sammy for putting up with his DIVA shit but as a fan it was very entertaining........

I love them both in Van Halen. Great band with both singers.

But Dave is just so funny and entertaining. He is the guy you just have to love, even though you know, he is a total annoying asshole.

Edited by MBRose

Actually -- I was mistaken -- '1984' and the debut 'Van Halen' are the biggest selling Van halen albums, they both went (appropriately enough) Diamond.

fair enough but to say Sammy was nothing in Van Halen is pretty silly.......

Dave is such an asshole... Holy shit.

Yes but he is a funny asshole...god bless Sammy for putting up with his DIVA shit but as a fan it was very entertaining........
It's funny for us.. I imagine how pissed I'd be in Sammy's place..

Hagar never has any right to be pissed off at DLR because he totally lucked out to have the chance to replace him and should always be grateful for that. The Van Halens had a beef with Roth... it didn't mean Hagar had to get involved and pull stuff like this:

http://jammagazineonline.com/images/main-features/201009/van-halen/001.jpg

http://jammagazineonline.com/images/main-features/201009/van-halen/008.jpg

source: http://jammagazineonline.com/mf201009-van-halen.aspx

Hagar never has any right to be pissed off at DLR because he totally lucked out to have the chance to replace him and should always be grateful for that. The Van Halens had a beef with Roth... it didn't mean Hagar had to get involved and pull stuff like this:

http://jammagazineonline.com/images/main-features/201009/van-halen/001.jpg

http://jammagazineonline.com/images/main-features/201009/van-halen/008.jpg

source: http://jammagazineonline.com/mf201009-van-halen.aspx

Sam got pissed off at Dave because of the stuff the Van Halen brothers were telling him, the same reason why Weiland went off on Axl, they all got roped into the trash talk.

But as far as Sam lucking out? I think they'd all say it was mutually beneficial. Van Halen could've gone with another singer at the time and it could've easily flopped.