Goat's Head Soup

Vincent Vega

Its a pretty solid album, with a few standouts Doo Doo Doo Doo Heartbreaker being a personal favourite, but it had the unenviable task of following prob one the greatest runs of records ever (Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile). It had to be flawless to follow those and it wasn't.

It is almost another masterpiece like the previous four albums,

Dancing With Mr D

100 Years Ago

Heart Breaker

Angie

Winter

are all top draw Stones. But there are some filler on it such as Silver Train. But it is still a great album. It has some of Mick Taylor's finest playing on it.

I love it. I've probably listened to it more than any other Stones album outside of maybe Sticky Fingers or Some Girls. Winter and Coming Down Again are a couple criminally underrated songs off that album.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Guest Len B'stard

Its testament to how sick The Stones were that their not-so-good efforts are still fuckin wicked. Most bands'd drop a bollock to have an album this good in their discography.

Goat's Head Soup is Mick's Stones album. Mick never liked Exile On Main St which is seen as the ultimate Keith album, ramshackle, bluesy and rock n' roll, raw, druggie and boozey. He didn't like the chaotic recording sessions for Exile, at Nellcôte, people like Gram Parsons floating around, Keith going to the bathroom every hour. So, Goats was Jagger's attempt to take back some control over the Rolling Stones. It helped that Richards was by now completely out of it by now on smack - despite at least one fine Keith moment ('Coming Down Again').

Consequentially it was recorded in Jamaica and you got all of the world music influence from the Caribbean and Africa. As Mick Jagger said at the time:

I really feel close to this album, and I really put all I had into it... I guess it comes across that I'm more into songs. It wasn't as vague as the last album which kind of went on so long that I didn't like some of the things. There's more thought to this one. It was recorded all over the place over about two or three months. The tracks are much more varied than the last one. I didn't want it to be just a bunch of rock songs.

So Mick took back some control and worked a lot with Mick Taylor instead of Richards. And Taylor yet again was shafted on the songwriting credits by Jagger ('Winter') - this seemed to happen on just about every release featuring poor Taylor

Edited by DieselDaisy

• 1 month later...

Goat's Head Soup is Mick's Stones album. Mick never liked Exile On Main St which is seen as the ultimate Keith album, ramshackle, bluesy and rock n' roll, raw, druggie and boozey. He didn't like the chaotic recording sessions for Exile, at Nellcôte, people like Gram Parsons floating around, Keith going to the bathroom every hour. So, Goats was Jagger's attempt to take back some control over the Rolling Stones. It helped that Richards was by now completely out of it by now on smack - despite at least one fine Keith moment ('Coming Down Again').

Consequentially it was recorded in Jamaica and you got all of the world music influence from the Caribbean and Africa. As Mick Jagger said at the time:

I really feel close to this album, and I really put all I had into it... I guess it comes across that I'm more into songs. It wasn't as vague as the last album which kind of went on so long that I didn't like some of the things. There's more thought to this one. It was recorded all over the place over about two or three months. The tracks are much more varied than the last one. I didn't want it to be just a bunch of rock songs.

So Mick took back some control and worked a lot with Mick Taylor instead of Richards. And Taylor yet again was shafted on the songwriting credits by Jagger ('Winter') - this seemed to happen on just about every release featuring poor Taylor

If you ever look into the credits for most of the songs on Goat's Head Soup, Keith Richards either doesn't play guitar on most of the songs, or Mick Taylor is playing the main guitars even when Keith is on the song.

Taylor plays all the lead work on Dancin' With Mr. D

He plays ALL the guitars on 100 Years Ago--Keith only plays bass.

He plays all guitars on Heartbreaker, with Keith again only playing bass

Winter was probably co-written by Taylor and doesn't feature Keith at all.

With the exception of Star Star, all guitar solos are played by him on the album.

With the exception of only a few songs, Soup is basically the Mick Jagger & Mick Taylor Stones record.

Edited by Vincent Vega