The term NuGnR

fantomas

Also, another reason why new GN'R is called NuGNR is because it is truly a "new" Guns N' Roses.

In 1992, Axl, Slash and Duff renegotiated their contract with Geffen and created a legal partnership defining who owned Guns N' Roses. That contract stipulated Axl, Slash and Duff as joint, equal legal members of GN'R. Axl put in a proviso which stipulated that if Axl was fired from the band or quit the band and legal partnership, the name and rights to the name would go with him and become his.

Axl sent a letter to Slash and Duff on August 31st 1995 informing them of his intent to leave and dissolve the existing Guns N' Roses partnership on December 31st 1995. In his August 1995 letter to Slash and Duff, he announced his intention to form a new band/legal partnership which would also be called Guns N' Roses, which they could join as employees under contract. This all went into effect 12-31-1995.

As such, even from a legal standpoint, there were/are two Guns N' Roses: The legal entity created by Axl, Slash and Duff as equal partners when they renegotiated with Geffen in 1992 and the legal entity created comprised solely of Axl which was created in 1995 which exists to the present day.

Vincent, I still find it confusing, Duff's account that it was signed at a concert in Barcelona 5th July 1993! We have the legal documents from the Greatest Hits trial stating that it was signed 1st Sept 1992.

Confusing the situation more, I was reading a few days ago an interview with Zutaut who said the signing occured before the 1991 Illusion Tour (May '91). Axl threatened to not tour if it wasn't signed. Izzy somewhat supports Zutaut. When Izzy lef (August-Nov '91) he said in an interview that Axl was trying to get everybody to sign contracts.

So we have three potential dates...

Mayish 1991

1st Sept 1992

5th July 1993

I would personally still go with the 1st Sept 1992 one because its, legal, and not from Duff's intoxicated brain.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it turned into a revolving door cast of unknowns.

Nine Inch Nails, Sixx AM and The Replacements are unknown?

Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Smashing Pumpkins, Megadeth, Lynard Skynard, Heart, Kiss, Eagles also had revolving doors.

Edited by volcano62

OP said it the best the current lineup is the longest stable lineup. For example to me Tommy is the legendary bassist of GNR.

Nu is not even a proper word in this context and it's shows lack of intelligence when people use it as in NU GNR.

It's such a stable lineup that it hasn't put out an album in half a decade.

OP said it the best the current lineup is the longest stable lineup. For example to me Tommy is the legendary bassist of GNR.

Nu is not even a proper word in this context and it's shows lack of intelligence when people use it as in NU GNR.

It's such a stable lineup that it hasn't put out an album in half a decade.

What does that have to do with what volcano said?

it turned into a revolving door cast of unknowns.

Nine Inch Nails, Sixx AM and The Replacements are unknown?

Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Smashing Pumpkins, Megadeth, Lynard Skynard, Heart, Kiss, Eagles also had revolving doors.

Actually Floyd didn't, 1 change only: Syd Barrett being replaced by Gilmour, later in the 80's when Waters left they hired Guy Pratt to play Bass on tour, but he was never a band member.

For example to me Tommy is the legendary bassist of GNR.

Doesn't know what "legendary" means.

I don't know that I'd even call Duff a "legendary bassist." But hey, I have standards based on real world shit.

Not necessarily a music legend but a GNR legend.

I don't know that I'd even call Duff a "legendary bassist." But hey, I have standards based on real world shit.

Tommy is a fucking asshole who pressured Bucket out of the band and is drunk 24/7

There is not much 'stability' with Nugnr/newgnr (whatever you call it). Guns N' Roses, post 1999, are about the most unstable line-up in history! They leak members virtually every year.

Tommy is a fucking asshole who pressured Bucket out of the band and is drunk 24/7
Blame on Bucket himself. He's not a band guy.

So Duff isn't the legendary bassist of GNR to you? Can I call you a dickwad now? Stop breathing in fumes!

It's very simple nu (new) GNR = The most current lineup there is.

If the lineup changes again in 10 years the name won't change.. it will still be NuGNR.. (most current lineup)

If you want to talk about a particular lineup other than the most current .. you will have to be more descriptive.. like GNR' 02 or The Original 5.

Seems simple enough sheesh!

So Duff isn't the legendary bassist of GNR to you? Can I call you a dickwad now? Stop breathing in fumes!

It's very simple nu (new) GNR = The most current lineup there is.

If the lineup changes again in 10 years the name won't change.. it will still be NuGNR.. (most current lineup)

If you want to talk about a particular lineup other than the most current .. you will have to be more descriptive.. like GNR' 02 or The Original 5.

Seems simple enough sheesh!

Maybe what volcano meant was that Tommy was the legendary bassist of the Replacements... :) In Gn'R Tommy was, well....a replacement for Duff.

There is not much 'stability' with Nugnr/newgnr (whatever you call it). Guns N' Roses, post 1999, are about the most unstable line-up in history! They leak members virtually every year.

We are going on 5 years with the current lineup...they don't 'leak" members virtually "every year".

Has GNR ever had a stable line up for 5 years?