No one gives a fuck about Tracii, Rob and Ole

Vincent Vega

Technically speaking the original incarnation of GNR included people like Tracii however when people use the phrase 'original band' to describe the players that created Appetite they mean the first GNR to enter public consciousness. This is why a lot of people have adopted the description 'classic'.

Edited by NGOG

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tracii once said he'd hear axl playing piano and singing parts of november rain in the early days. Anyway sure they are not the classic lineup but each musician is very talented or was very talented and it would have been interesting if tracii stayed. I love slash but hearing traciis take on paradise city was awesome. Anyhow the band has always changed faces and its unfortunate the classic lineup only fans dont except that

If playing on stage as "GN'R" makes one a member of the band than I guess we can count Fred Coury as a member of GN'R since he briefly replaced Steven for several live shows.

And now I intend to blow your little mind by presenting you to two new terms: "temporary band members" and "permanent band members". Did you die?

Does temporary have to be less than what? Three shows? Four shows? Five shows? :)

If playing on stage as "GN'R" makes one a member of the band than I guess we can count Fred Coury as a member of GN'R since he briefly replaced Steven for several live shows.

And now I intend to blow your little mind by presenting you to two new terms: "temporary band members" and "permanent band members". Did you die?

Does temporary have to be less than what? Three shows? Four shows? Five shows? :)

I don't think there has to be some agreement on term length, just an understanding that the member is temporarily filling while the permanent member gets his stupid hand healed.

VincentVegas, did you ever read like Duffs book or anything?

I believe if I remember correctly, Rob Tracci and Ole did do a few songs. I believe Rob and Ole were in Hollywood Rose, which was the band that came up with the songs Back off Bitch, Don't Cry, Anything Goes, and others that GNR later used.

I strongly disagree with the crap you wrote in the first post about them doing absolutely nothing. They were a big part of righting some songs I imagine.

I believe if I remember correctly, Rob Tracci and Ole did do a few songs. I believe Rob and Ole were in Hollywood Rose, which was the band that came up with the songs Back off Bitch, Don't Cry, Anything Goes, and others that GNR later used.

I strongly disagree with the crap you wrote in the first post about them doing absolutely nothing. They were a big part of righting some songs I imagine.

Are they credited on Appetite/GNR lies for there songs, anything goes/shawdow of your love ect.

Edited by Axl_morris

Are they credited on Appetite/GNR lies for there songs, anything goes/shawdow of your love ect.

I can't tell you that, but if I remember correctly one of them sued GNR for a song that they had writing credit on, which I think was Anything Goes. If you have The Roots of Guns N' Roses (Hollywood Rose) their names are credited for writing on those songs. (Anything Goes, Shadow of Your Love, Rocker, Reckless Life, etc.)

Axl_Morris could you clean up your pms also? Thanks :)

Technically they are the "original lineup"...

...but some people get all pissy about it when they should know what people are refering to. I have seen it many times on here where it is so blantantly obvious that someone is refering to the classic GNR era yet people have to nitpick the blantantly obvious context.

...but some people get all pissy about it when they should know what people are refering to. I have seen it many times on here where it is so blantantly obvious that someone is refering to the classic GNR era yet people have to nitpick the blantantly obvious context.

Exactly this. ^^^^

I guess you gotta give credit where credit is due. If Tracii, Rob and Ole were indeed part of the very first GnR lineup, then they should be acknowledged as such: as having been there in the old days, before the band was even signed. But the lineup that recorded and toured AFD was, is and will always be the greatest and most important GnR lineup.

New band fans are only pedantic about that because they are always trying to downplay the AFD band's contributions which is sad and bizarre really. I'd much rather have an AFD than a crock of shit like Hollywood Rose.

Yup, they only do it in some pathetic attempt to undermine the Appetite line-up, you know, the band everyone outside of these forums recognises as the one and only Guns N Roses worth talking about.

Chris Weber ( Hollywood Rose) has a song writing credit on Appetite, I think its for Anything Goes.

is there any recordings of this 'original' band?

I believe I have a few, including some rare Hollywood Rose. I'll talk to you in pm about it.

Chris Weber ( Hollywood Rose) has a song writing credit on Appetite, I think its for Anything Goes.

Yup, that's who I forgot to mention.

My knowledge of pre AFD line up is a bit rusty.

Can someone explain the differances in line up between.

Rose, Hollywood Rose and GNR before Slash..ect

Just to clarify...

Rose/Hollywood Rose (the names switched back and forth): 1983-June 1984.

Axl/Izzy/Chris Weber (lead guitar)/Johnny Kreiss (bass)/various drummers

This was essentially Axl, Izzy and Chris Weber's band. Izzy was introduced to Chris by Tracii Guns, a fellow schoolmate of Chris's from Fairfax High School, in the parking lot of the Rainbow Bar and Grill. Izzy then mentioned his mate 'Bill' (Axl) who had followed Izzy up from Indiana. The three then proceeded to write many songs together, made a demo tape (released as Roots of Guns N' Roses in 2005) and gigged quite extensively in LA clubs like Madame Wong's, The Troubadour and Gazzerri's (all places, GN'R would later play). Many flyers exist such as the colour one that appears on the Don't Cry video of Axl and Izzy with a whisky glass in front.

Some Rose songs were carried forward into Guns N' Roses: 'Shadow of Your Love', 'Anything Goes', 'Move To The City', and 'Reckless' (Reckless Life) - Weber actually is credited with the last three songs (check your Appetite booklet for his AG co-credit). The band also had other songs such as 'Killing Time' and 'Rocker' as well as covers which were inherited by Guns such as 'Nice Boys'.

New Hollywood Rose: June - August 1984

Axl/Slash/Adler/Steve Darrow (bass)

Axl famously replaced Weber with Slash prompting Izzy to walk (he joined London). This band probably only played seven shows. They didn't seem to write much and largely played the same setlists as Rose/Hollywood Rose. Again, some of the flyers exist (done by Slash) - check your Live Era booklet. The group dissolved after some sort of feud between Axl and Slash, Axl joining LA Guns. Canter's book has some great photos from this line-up.

Guns N' Roses March-May 1985

Axl/Izzy/Tracii Guns/ Ole Beich/Rob Gardner.

The original Guns N' Roses were essentially LA Guns as it existed then (Axl, Tracii, Ole, Rob) argumented by Izzy Stradlin. Izzy had quit London and was wanting to work with Axl again. To make things fair, Tracii and Axl put their names together and arrived at 'Guns N' Roses'. From what we know, they didn't write anything and only played five gigs. Their sets were probably a mix of Hollywood Rose and LA Guns material. Beich was replaced virtually straight away by Duff. Tracii and Gardner quit later because of the ''Hell Tour'' which Duff had booked. Slash was poached from a band called Black Sheep (Axl and Izzy saw them play on 31st May 1985 with the express purpose to steal Slash). Adler entered either, with Slash, or soon after. And the rest is history. The Appetite line-up played their first gig on June 6th 1985.

Much of this is from Canter's book which EVERYONE should own. It also has the flyers in as well as live shots and setlists.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Exactly this. ^^^^

Second that. That was perfectly said.