Best underrated American rock band of the 70s?

machinegunner

Michael McDonald era Doobie Brothers is phenomenal.

They were fairly big though, all over the radio.

Yeah, my favorite album didn't have a hit though (Livin' on the Fault Line). I think if anything that work is underrated today. I'm only living right now so its hard to see differently sometimes.

I guess based on the here and now, then, yeah I can see that.

I saw that line up a couple of times live back then, fairly large crowds, massive response to their shows (they were damn good live).

Definitely not an obscure or underapprecited line up when they were on top of the charts at the time.

Michael McDonald era Doobie Brothers is phenomenal.

They were fairly big though, all over the radio.

Yeah, my favorite album didn't have a hit though (Livin' on the Fault Line). I think if anything that work is underrated today. I'm only living right now so its hard to see differently sometimes.

I guess based on the here and now, then, yeah I can see that.

I saw that line up a couple of times live back then, fairly large crowds, massive response to their shows (they were damn good live).

Definitely not an obscure or underapprecited line up when they were on top of the charts at the time.

The 70s must have been the best.

I think the quality and attention artists gave albums in the 70s made a difference. Willie had some great albums like Red Headed Stranger.

I'd be pretty sure anything that was good in the 70's was rated.

Maybe, but i like checking out stuff that is new to me. So keep 'em coming. Just name some bands.

On a side note: Like there is this old 70's band that I've seen their album cover in the used record shop and it's a painting of a medieval kind of warrior on a tough looking war horse and I forget the name of the band... does anyone know what I'm talking about? I should have bought it on the basis of that cover alone.

They're not americans, but still cool (and 70's)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkGcABw8LHw

Were The Doobie Brothers better with Michael McDonald, or without him?

They were very different bands.

From the little I've seen and heard i'm kinda leaning towards the more rough n' ready rockier earlier DBs...Long Train Running et al. I do like 'It Keeps You Runnin' and 'Chinatown' though, and 'I'll Wait' that he wrote with Van Halen.

Somewhere around here I have pro shot footage from one of the Doobie Bros. gigs I saw in '78.

They played to a crowd of 110,000 people.

At the time, the largest paid attendance for a live show ever in Canada.

Fuck me, were they that big?

They were pretty big.

Mind you, that was a festival gig...but I assure you, the Doobs weren't feeling underrated at that show..

I saw them again in 1980, it was thier own gig at the local university football stadium.

Sold Out.

I like gerry rafferty a lot, I think he's american? But anyways his album city to city is a damn good 70's rock album, and he was the singer/songwriter for stealers wheels (stuck in the middle)

Blue oyster cult were also pretty cool. I think they are american also, don't know for sure? Either way they are a pretty solid band also

I like gerry rafferty a lot, I think he's american? But anyways his album city to city is a damn good 70's rock album, and he was the singer/songwriter for stealers wheels (stuck in the middle)

Blue oyster cult were also pretty cool. I think they are american also, don't know for sure? Either way they are a pretty solid band also

Agree with BOC, they had moderate success, but not huge...really good live show back in the day.

Not American, but I agree with Rafferty / Steeler's Wheel.

Agree with BOC, they had moderate success, but not huge...really good live show back in the day.

Not American, but I agree with Rafferty / Steeler's Wheel.

I've never heard anything by BOC that I don't like. Outside of classic rock radio, I don't think they get the recognition they deserve. Neither does gerry, that's why I brought him up.