How come Metallica can do it but Guns cant...

tsunta

Hell i'll stick my hand up and say the first Metallica album i bought was indeed the Black Album, after i bought the Black Album i started working my way backwards in Metallica's back catalogue (Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets & ....And Justice For All are classics)''

How are those all classic albums? How do you define classic? I agree that they are great, and the quality of music is also great. But they are not classic albums. Neither are either usi. Appetite is a classic. Most bands only have one classic album. For refrence here is a list of classic bands and classic albums:

Gnr~appetite

Acdc~back in black

Zeppelin~2,4, and physical graffiti

Pink floyd~dsotm, wywh, the wall

The beatles~ sgt pepper, the white album

Van halen~ 1 and 1984

These are just a few, but I think you get my point. The difference between a great album and a classic album is mass acceptance, that's just how it works.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But Master of Puppets can't appeal to the masses. It's a thrash album. The Black Album has a lot of catchy and radio-friendly songs. I think Master of Puppets is a classic album, at least in metal. Just like Rust in Peace and Reign in Blood are classics too, imho.

First, Metallica has a bigger back catalog of material they can play to switch up the show.

Second, Metallica has pretty much the original lineup, GnR has only axl. Half the members in GnR have never written a song that was released by GnR.

Third, The Day That Never Comes and Cyanide became radio hits that get frequent airplay. When was the last time you heard a Chinese Democracy song on the radio?

Hell i'll stick my hand up and say the first Metallica album i bought was indeed the Black Album, after i bought the Black Album i started working my way backwards in Metallica's back catalogue (Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets & ....And Justice For All are classics)''

How are those all classic albums? How do you define classic? I agree that they are great, and the quality of music is also great. But they are not classic albums. Neither are either usi. Appetite is a classic. Most bands only have one classic album. For refrence here is a list of classic bands and classic albums:

Gnr~appetite

Acdc~back in black

Zeppelin~2,4, and physical graffiti

Pink floyd~dsotm, wywh, the wall

The beatles~ sgt pepper, the white album

Van halen~ 1 and 1984

These are just a few, but I think you get my point. The difference between a great album and a classic album is mass acceptance, that's just how it works.

In my opinion. I personally define classic as something that can be passed down to the next generation.

Edited by CharlieSheen

^ If thats your criteria, you should give extra credit to Lightning and Puppets especially. They have multi platinum sales merely off Metallica's name.

Ride The Lightning & Master Of Puppets are 2 of my favourite Metallica albums, brilliant from start to finish

Like I said before, its not really a measure of the quality of the music, but the musics ability to reach new audiences. As much as I love all of gnrs albums (cd included) appetite is the only one that is a true classic. I could argue that use your illusions 1 and 2 are better than all 4 of metallicas early albums combined. And tsi pisses all over garage inc. But that's neither here nor there, because I fully admit that usi is also not classic albums.

Edited by Mike420

Bob Rock and Rick Rubin are pretty commercial producers.

Bob Rock usually produces 1 sick album per band he works with.

I would love to hear what he would do with GNR.

I think he did Dr Feelgood. Dj and Bob Rock means hits.

2 albums that come to mind:

Black Album (most say its Metallica's best album)

Rise and Fall (Offspring best album IMO)

Rock is also doing the next Motley album.

I think he also produced Slippery When Wet for Bon Jovi.

I think he also produced Slippery When Wet for Bon Jovi.

Yes he engineered and mixed Bon Jovi's best album.

Fair burn is dead too i think so that rules him out.

Wheres Mike Clink?

Hes producing Camp Freddy?

Yep. Camp Freddy. I can't help but think that Guns have enough producers in the band anyway.

Axl, Bumble, Ashba... Maybe they don't really need outside producers.

Metallica also put on kick ass performances and James' voice never sounds like shit. They have done interesting experiments with their set lists as well. Sometimes they play the Black record from beginning to end and sometimes they play Ride the Lightning from beginning to end. Sometimes they play both records backwards! GN'R have been working off of the same set list since 2001 with only a few changes here and there (which I'll admit are sometimes nice changes like the addition of "Estranged" and such).

Maybe thats why they need one. Whatever a producer does. I think Rock is pretty hands on. I guess they are retreating into themselves at the moment. So in house might suit them. here seems to be a RATM, FNM, Nirvana team working on CD.

GNR seem to working on perfecting the greatest setlist ever.

Metallica also put on kick ass performances and James' voice never sounds like shit. They have done interesting experiments with their set lists as well. Sometimes they play the Black record from beginning to end and sometimes they play Ride the Lightning from beginning to end. Sometimes they play both records backwards! GN'R have been working off of the same set list since 2001 with only a few changes here and there (which I'll admit are sometimes nice changes like the addition of "Estranged" and such).

James sounded like shit 2003-2010

But Master of Puppets can't appeal to the masses. It's a thrash album. The Black Album has a lot of catchy and radio-friendly songs. I think Master of Puppets is a classic album, at least in metal. Just like Rust in Peace and Reign in Blood are classics too, imho.

This is true. Metallica are first and foremost a thrash metal band. MOP, RTL, AJFA, KEA are all classic metal albums. The fact that a thrash metal band was also able to crossover and have massive mainstream success with the black album is testament to why they deserve all the credit they get. They are a classic band. They have classic metal albums (probably more than 1 of the top 10 metal albums ever) and even a huge selling classic rock album in the black album. I don't know why anyone is saying they reject the black album either, they just played it on tour all the way through last year as an anniversary celebration.

In terms of why they get away with promoting Death Magnetic, they only toured it from 2008 (or 2009?) to 2010. After that they have had special live events that are not based on death magnetic. Things like the 30th anniversary shows in California. Imagine if GNR did 4 special club shows for their fan club for $19.81 (for all 4 shows) and every single set was different covering all kinds of rare songs and guest appearances. It would be a dream. Lately Metallica were doing a massive live production called the full arsenal where they brought out all the old effects from past tours such as the lady justice statue, the load-era stage destruction, the snake pit from the black album etc. Filmed it all for a live 3d movie due in August. Note that nobody doubts that this live movie will actually be released unlike GNR!

They have also put together their own 2 day festival in the states last year and it is returning this year. They don't have to "get away" with anything, all the things they do are different and keep their fans interested. They keep very busy, engage the fans and I can say it is a hell of a lot easier and more satisfying being a Metallica fan that it is being a GNR fan.

Maybe because they also released an album in 2003, and 1997 and 1996. Plus Lulu and a few live DVDs/albums.

Yes, that is it.

If CD came out in 2002 and it was CD2 that came out in 2008, this being the CD2 tour, nobody would be complaining. I have to say though, four years is a bit long to tour an album (and this applies to Metallica as much as newgnr). Two and a half years should be the max for plugging a record.

Edited by DieselDaisy

I haven't enjoyed a Metallica album since The Black Album. Everything since has been bad or at best, OK. GNR on the other hand haven't released a record that I do not like.

I would consider buying a ticket for Metallica to hear the material from The Black Anthem and before, whereas when GNR play near here it's imperative that I be there.

Metallica's wealth of releases isn't a valid point in my opinion, I prefer quality over quantity. In the last twenty years Metallica have come nowhere near Chinese Democracy.

I have to say though, four years is a bit long to tour an album (and this applies to Metallica as much as newgnr).

It's wrong to suggest GNR toured Chinese Democracy for four years post-release. Officially, and as reflected in the Chinese heavy sets, the period between 2009 and 2010 was when Axl really strongly promoted Chinese Democracy.

2011 and beyond has merely been 'The GNR Tour'.