What is the GREATEST ALBUM of the last 10yrs?

machinegunner

I really liked the new Van Halen album. I can't think of many impressive albums from the last decade.

A Different Kind of Truth was utterly killer. The thread was asking for greatest or most influential album of the last decade, which unfortunately ADKOT is not. However, I would without hesitation name it the best album of the last decade.

Ratt's Infestation was also an incredible killer hard rock album.

American Idiot comes to mind. I remember it being just about everyone. Boulevard Of Broken Dreams was on the radio hourly it seems. Rock and Pop stations. The album went multi-platinum, when physical media was still a popular way to obtain media. The broadway musical was a success. It's not my favorite, but it's the first one that came to mind.

Definitely.

I was exposed to American Idiot all the time as a middle schooler. Many people underestimate the impact it had at the time, especially because it was released when iPods started to take off.

Born This Way by Lady Gaga.

It can be argued that even though it's not the most musically advanced, it has had the biggest cultural impact.

The Fame was way more relevant, imo.

Not going to disagree.

I just think that Born This Way had a better variety of songs on.

The Strokes - Is This It

correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't that album come out in 2000/2001? I don't think it makes the cut from a time perspective; but if we are talking albums since 2000, than I retract my previous entry and say that PJ Harvey's album, Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea, is the best thing I've heard from 2000 to present.

..my previous entry, Source Tags & Codes by Trail of Dead, would be second.

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is definitely up there for me. I'm not much of a rap fan, I just really like this album. Remember there was a review which compared it to ChiDem for lyrical content/artistic ambition, I do have a thing for epic bombastic passion projects. Had a great time seeing Kanye live in London back in February, too.

Born This Way by Lady Gaga.

It can be argued that even though it's not the most musically advanced, it has had the biggest cultural impact.

The Fame was way more relevant, imo.

Not going to disagree.

I just think that Born This Way had a better variety of songs on.

I just think I love you. The Fame, bar the singles is her weakest effort. Born This Way feels like a proper album and a good one at that.

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is definitely up there for me. I'm not much of a rap fan, I just really like this album. Remember there was a review which compared it to ChiDem for lyrical content/artistic ambition, I do have a thing for epic bombastic passion projects. Had a great time seeing Kanye live in London back in February, too.

Amir... you have GREAT musical taste.

My fav artist of the last ten plus years is bright eyes. He's very modern folkish, great songwriter. His music tells a story and pulls you in. Some of the later stuff is full band stuff, and even electronic occasionally. Im wide awake and its morning is a great singer/songwriter album. The EP Lua is also quite good. Bright eyes is def my fav post grunge artist.

FUN is another decent little band. My wife loves them. He's another good songwriter. Its very pop/rockish, but they do have some good songs. I wish they turned the guitars and drums up myself, but that's my biggest complaint with all music nowadays. But if you look there's some good songwriters still. Modern music isn't completly hopeless.

But if I had to pick the best two albums from 2000 on, I'm going back to the year 2000. Renegades by rage against the machine and the marshal mathers lp by eminem. I would put those albums ahead of chinese democracy (and I love cd). But those two albums represent some of the best rap and rap/rock artists ever. Imo eminem was the last great rapper, but that's a dicfferent topic.

I also think rage against the machine were the last balls to the wall kick ass band period. My fav band from 1990~present.

Edited by Mike420

Amir... you have GREAT musical taste.
Kanye was defintely the artist of the decade. Head and shoulders above the rest.