Ultimate Van Halen vs. Guns n' Roses thread

Iron MikeyJ

I've heard this topic get brought up on That Metal Show before, and I feel it is a very interesting debate. Which band was better in their prime and today? Which duo was the best Axl and Slash, Eddie and Dave, Eddie and Sammy, Axl and Bucket, Axl and Bumble or Axl and Ashba? I know this is a gnr site so obviously gnr is going to win, but let's try and look at this objectively. I've read many gnr vs. VH threads on Van Halen sites, and of course Van Halen wins everytime. Here are my thoughts....

Van Halen Pro's

1. Eddie is greater than Slash. As good as Slash is/was, he hasn't made the impact that EVH did.

2. Van Halen released Waaaaay more albums.

3. Van Halen released two albums that are considered all-time classics. (Van Halen and 1984.)

4. Van Halen's second act proved to be a lot more successful than gnr's second act.

5. Despite many line-up changes the current line-up is 3/4 original.

Guns n' Roses Pro's

1. Axl Rose is a better singer than David Lee Roth and more entertaining than Sammy Hagar.

2. Appetite for Destruction is better than anything Van Halen ever did.

3. Gnr wrote better "rockers" and better "Ballads" than VH.

4. Gnr never released a "bad" album. Despite what some think of CD, it is light years better than Van Halen 3.

5. Axl sounds and looks a lot better than DLR does today, Axl is just plain better.

Van Halen Con's

1. Three different lead singers, and Gary Cherone was just plain bad in that role.

2. The bass is absent in most VH songs.

3. Van Halen haven't released anything good since Balance in 1995. Some would even say 1984 was the last good album.

4. The drama surrounding VH makes Gnr seem like they have their shit together.

5. The band has been very inconsistent since the late 90's. They change lead singers every few years anymore.

Guns n' Roses Con's

1. Axl is the only original member.

2. 6 different guitarists have been in the band since Slash quit.

3. A reunion of any sorts seems very unlikely.

4. Will the band release new music or just tour endlessly?

5. Is Axl just milking the GNR name dry or is this a real band?

Let the debate begin....

A different kind of truth was a great album. Way better then Balance!

David Lee Roth is far more entertaining than Axl. Even though Axl is a better singer overall, they're really not too comparable. Different singing styles and Roth is older and sounds sharper than Axl live at the moment.

The drama surrounding Van Halen is different, as both Eddie and Dave have come to good terms about 2 times already... 1996 and now.

Gary Cherone isn't a bad singer, he just didn't fit Van Halen!

Michael Anthony is a very underrated bass player, and i don't understand when you say: "The bass is absent in most VH songs." This is not true at all...

Edited by AndreCC

I'm not knocking Michael Anthony's ability, I'm simply stating a fact. In most VH songs you can't even here the bass, it's lost in the mix. You hear Eddie's guitar and Alex's drums. There are exceptions to this, like Runnin' with the devil, but for the most part it is very true.

I've seen both VH and Gnr on their current tours and Axl sounds waaay better today than Dave does IMO. Axl maybe Mickey Mouseish, but Dave doesn't even sing half of the lyrics. He just sings the important parts then makes up different lyrics when he wants to. And certain songs, he plain can't do live anymore. IMO Axl at his worst is better than Dave at his best on most nights.

I agree that Gary Cheone isn't bad, just a bad fit. I don't blame him for that, but I do give him blame for the awful Van Halen 3 album. I blame Eddie also for that album.

We disagree about A different kind of truth. It is a very uneven album. There are a couple of good songs yes, but the good songs on Balance are better than the good songs on ADKOT IMO. But for the most part ADKOT is 90% filler, 10% killer. By contrast CD is a masterpiece. Not to mention that album was written in 1978. There are no new songs on that album. She's the Woman is by far my fav song on the album, it's very classic VH sounding. But its because it was written in 1978. I'm sorry but it is the second worst Van Halen album period. It's better than Van Halen 3, but that's it. You can argue Diver Down and I will listen to that argument, but all other albums kick ADKOT's ass!!!!

GNR every single time. Not even something I would be motivated into an in an depth discussion over. GNR, period.

Van Halen were prancy and fun. GNR were one of the greatest products of 80s culture. GNR disgraced Van Halen's claim to best band in the world with an attitude never witnessed before.

Edited by NGOG

Your way off in my opinion.

A different Kind of Truth is an awesome album! But then again i hate Sammy's work in Van Halen. The only song i can recall from that era as being half good was "Can't stop loving you".

Tattoo

She's the Woman,

You and Your Blues

China Town

As Is

and HoneyBabySweetieDoll are among some of the best songs with Dave in my opinion.

You should probably give it another listen!

Well yes I will always prefer GNR, let's get that out of the way.

I'm not knocking Michael Anthony's ability, I'm simply stating a fact. In most VH songs you can't even here the bass, it's lost in the mix. You hear Eddie's guitar and Alex's drums. There are exceptions to this, like Runnin' with the devil, but for the most part it is very true.

I've seen both VH and Gnr on their current tours and Axl sounds waaay better today than Dave does IMO. Axl maybe Mickey Mouseish, but Dave doesn't even sing half of the lyrics. He just sings the important parts then makes up different lyrics when he wants to. And certain songs, he plain can't do live anymore. IMO Axl at his worst is better than Dave at his best on most nights.

I agree that Gary Cheone isn't bad, just a bad fit. I don't blame him for that, but I do give him blame for the awful Van Halen 3 album. I blame Eddie also for that album.

We disagree about A different kind of truth. It is a very uneven album. There are a couple of good songs yes, but the good songs on Balance are better than the good songs on ADKOT IMO. But for the most part ADKOT is 90% filler, 10% killer. By contrast CD is a masterpiece. Not to mention that album was written in 1978. There are no new songs on that album. She's the Woman is by far my fav song on the album, it's very classic VH sounding. But its because it was written in 1978. I'm sorry but it is the second worst Van Halen album period. It's better than Van Halen 3, but that's it. You can argue Diver Down and I will listen to that argument, but all other albums kick ADKOT's ass!!!!

BUT, you are talking much nonsense... I saw VH less than a week ago and Dave was in fine form. There is plenty of youtube to back this up. What you say is simply not true... show us some youtube evidence of Dave "not even singing half the lyrics"...

...Or, as to the Balance songs which are supposedly so great, show us some of those... I await your proof with furrowed brow and arms crossed, please impress me! That's right... you can't!

Your way off in my opinion.

A different Kind of Truth is an awesome album! But then again i hate Sammy's work in Van Halen. The only song i can recall from that era as being half good was "Can't stop loving you".

Tattoo

She's the Woman,

You and Your Blues

China Town

As Is

and HoneyBabySweetieDoll are among some of the best songs with Dave in my opinion.

You should probably give it another listen!

Eddie is the star on ADKOT. His riffs and solos on the last three songs you mentioned are some of the best in his entire career.

A different kind of truth was a great album. Way better then Balance!

It was just more of the same from DLR lineup, infact it was just finished old demos from the 70s wasn't it?

Balance had a bit more depth, heaviness and darkness to it.

Agreed. Balance had better hits and was just plain a better album. I'm not saying ADKOT is bad. I really like Eddie's playing on it, but some of the songs seem like they are lacking. As Is and She's the Woman are the only good songs on it IMO. The rest is just filler, including Tattoo. That maybe the worst VH single of all-time. It's just a cheezy song. I can't Stop loving you, not enough, the seventh seal, and others make Balance the superior album. The only "Bad" VH album IMO is VH3. But ADKOT and Diver Down are in the running for second worst, and personally I go with ADKOT. I know many people don't like any of the Sammy albums, but that's a different topic.

I'm surprised to see a gnr fan say that Dave is a better performer than Axl is today. I like Dave I really do but he's a shell of the guy from the early 80's. Maybe Axl is too, but he is at least trying to stay musically relevant. The entire ADKOT album was written in the late 70's. DLR said in a recent interview that him and Eddie haven't written song together since the early 80's.

Well, Van Halen and Guns n Roses are my 2 top favorite bands. I dig them both, still follow them and the ex-members. Still wish the original 'bands' were together. But ........they aren't.

I'm not gonna get into comparing the 2 bands, except to say I love both.

Well, Van Halen and Guns n Roses are my 2 top favorite bands. I dig them both, still follow them and the ex-members. Still wish the original 'bands' were together. But ........they aren't.

I'm not gonna get into comparing the 2 bands, except to say I love both.

Why not?

My 3 fav bands are 1. zeppelin 2 gnr 3 VH. Neither band measures up with Zeppelin, but VH and Gnr are an interesting comparision. You can make a strong argument for both bands.

Well to be honest i don't like any of the Sammy Hagar material... i only like 2 songs of Hagar. Best of Both World and Can't Stop Loving You...

So to me Balance isn't that great of an album. ADKOT is a fucking awesome album. I don't care when those songs were made. You and your blues for example is a fucking awesome song... a song that is up there with their best ever material....

Any of the Roth albums are better than any of the Sammy albums...Hell even "Me Wise Magic" is better than anything Sammy has ever done with Van Halen...

As far as Axl... i love this new band. Chinese Democracy is a great album! But i can't stand when people say Mickey Mouse voice is still good...If Axl is not doing his rasp, he's nothing doing his TradeMark voice... so that's as bad as it can be...You can compare that to Dave....

When Axl sings on key and with his trademark rasp, then is definitely better than Dave. But both man have different kind of voices.

Axl's voice is more raw and hard pound rock n'roll, while Dave's more of a blues/rock n roll kind of singer

Well to be honest i don't like any of the Sammy Hagar material... i only like 2 songs of Hagar. Best of Both World and Can't Stop Loving You...

So to me Balance isn't that great of an album. ADKOT is a fucking awesome album. I don't care when those songs were made. You and your blues for example is a fucking awesome song... a song that is up there with their best ever material....

Any of the Roth albums are better than any of the Sammy albums...Hell even "Me Wise Magic" is better than anything Sammy has ever done with Van Halen...

As far as Axl... i love this new band. Chinese Democracy is a great album! But i can't stand when people say Mickey Mouse voice is still good...If Axl is not doing his rasp, he's nothing doing his TradeMark voice... so that's as bad as it can be...You can compare that to Dave....

When Axl sings on key and with his trademark rasp, then is definitely better than Dave. But both man have different kind of voices.

Axl's voice is more raw and hard pound rock n'roll, while Dave's more of a blues/rock n roll kind of singer

I like VH, but Roth's voice is not unique in anyway,with maybe the exception of that girly squeeky thing he used to do.Ie.Panema.

Eddie is better than Slash and Axl is better than Dave. Eddie is the most talented musician in either band though. Also, Van Halen's sound is way more unique than GNR's sound. I prefer GNR to Van Halen, but Van Halen win it on uniqueness and influence.

I wish Axl would call up Eddie and beg him to play on the next GNR album. Or ask Eddie if he can buy some guitar riffs off him. The rockers on A Different Kind of Truth all kick the shit out of the rockers on Chinese Democracy.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Eddie is better than Slash and Axl is better than Dave. Eddie is the most talented musician in either band though. Also, Van Halen's sound is way more unique than GNR's sound. I prefer GNR to Van Halen, but Van Halen win it on uniqueness and influence.

I wish Axl would call up Eddie and beg him to play on the next GNR album. Or ask Eddie if he can buy some guitar riffs off him. The rockers on A Different Kind of Truth all kick the shit out of the rockers on Chinese Democracy.

Great post, I agree.

I like gnr better but I would put vh higher than gnr because of eddie and more output.

I like VH, but Roth's voice is not unique in anyway,with maybe the exception of that girly squeeky thing he used to do.Ie.Panema.

:oNobody sounds like DLR. Name those you would mistake for him.

2 of my fav bands, but if you put a gun to my head, considering both bands in their primes, I might give the slightest of edge to GNR. ADKOT way over Balance or any Van Hagar record. Sammy's great outside of VH, but Van Hagar blew balls compared to DLR led Van Halen.

Dave so much better than Axl these days, even at his older age. No comparison.

Edited by Turn_It_Up

:oNobody sounds like DLR. Name those you would mistake for him.

2 of my fav bands, but if you put a gun to my head, considering both bands in their primes, I might give the slightest of edge to GNR. ADKOT way over Balance or any Van Hagar record. Sammy's great outside of VH, but Van Hagar blew balls compared to DLR led Van Halen.

Dave so much better than Axl these days, even at his older age. No comparison.

.I actually really like Hagar in VH,FUCK was the first VH album I owned. I don 't agree with Roth ever being a better front man then Axl now or in the past.That's just a matter of opinion.