Aerosmith: Permanent Vacation to present--your opinions

Vincent Vega

Falling in Love is hard on the Knees is a classic.

"Nine Lives" is a GREAT album. Extremely underrated.

I gave "Just Push Play" a listen the other day. That album has aged very well. "Sunshine" should have been a bigger hit than it was.

I don't get this and I've heard it before. I love Just Push Play, every song is insanely catchy. Every song that is, except Sunshine, which to me sounds completely bland. Why the love?

Falling in Love is hard on the Knees is a classic.

"Nine Lives" is a GREAT album. Extremely underrated.

I gave "Just Push Play" a listen the other day. That album has aged very well. "Sunshine" should have been a bigger hit than it was.

I don't get this and I've heard it before. I love Just Push Play, every song is insanely catchy. Every song that is, except Sunshine, which to me sounds completely bland. Why the love?

Always been a fan of that song. There's a radio remix of it floating around. Not sure what's different about it, but check it out if you can find it.

Well they really reformed for Done With Mirrors (1984) and were still pleasingly ramshackle, and then all (apparently) got clean, did that single with Run DMC, and then did Permanent Vacation.

Anyway, here is my brief review of THAT album:

Done With Mirrors (1984) - Pleasingly ramshackle effort with some nice loose riffs and gets rocking on a few numbers -- The Hop, Darkness, Let The Music Do The Talking...there are other effortlessly memorable numbers like My Fist Your Face. Even the songs that least well gel are not really unlikable. It seems like it was a short and quick album but it's pretty good. ***/5

will compare the others later, have to sleep.

I saw them on that tour, it was 1985, maybe early 1986. Sweatty Teddy Nugent opened up. 1 thing I remember during the Aerosmith show was there was a beach ball bouncing around, it made its way up to the stage and Steven kicked it back into the crowd, to keep it going(Big applause from the crowd)! Then the ball made its way back to the stage and Joe Perry grabbed it and threw it off backstage. A big BOO from the crowd. It's a freaking beach ball Joe, whats the problem??

VH.EVH.Aerosmith.Sydney.0420-13.edit.jpg

I like everything through nine lives. Nine lives had some good songs on it that were not singles. Full circle and kiss your past goodbye were my fav tunes on that one, very lynard skynard like. They are not great songs, but still good to listen to. My wife really likes pink, its one of her fav aerosmith songs. All and all nine lives is a good (not great) aerosmith album. Breaking up is hard on the knees is a stupid song though. I am focasing on this album because this wasw the last album of there's I thought was even decent. Everything after this album has been crap.

Aerosmith (good debut, dream on enough said) 8/10

Get your wings (my fav aerosmith album, every song rocks) 10/10

Toys in the attic (classic hits, good filler tunes) 9/10

Rocks (great 70s rock album) 9/10

Draw the line (few good songs, few fillers) 7/10

Night in the ruts (I like it but most don't) 6/10

Rock in a hard place (no joe perry or brad, but still a decent album) 5/10

Done with mirrors (good riffs, decent tunes, no real hits though) 5/10

Permanete vacation (very poppy, good hits, good comeback) 7/10

Pump (hits, good 80s rock album) 8/10

Get a grip (my fav post 70s asmith album, lots of great songs) 9/10

Nine lives (decent album) 6/10

Everything after this is just crap imo 4/10 at most.

Is that eddie van halen with steven tyler and joe perry? Aerosmith has always been unfriendly towards van halen. I know joe perry always felt intimidated by eddie. Aerosmith were the best american rock band from about 1973~1977, then van halen came out in 1978 and kicked aerosmiths ass. The boys in aerosmith always seemed jealous of van halen, at least from my perspective.

Permanent Vacation (1987)

Pump (1989)

Get a Grip (1993)

Great albums!

The rest is shit.

Agree with you for once.

Wake up kids it's half past your youth, ain't nothin really changin but the date...

Saw them that tour with collective soul. Great show.

Edited by drtydane

I really only care for the stuff up through Rocks.

First four albums or bust.

ZOMG! There's stuff on the albums following Rocks: Draw The Line, NIght In The Ruts.. that rivals the quality of any Aerosmith song.... King And Queens, I Wanna Know Why, No Surprise, Cheese Cake...

And there are gems scattered all up and down their catalogue.

I don't even really mind I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing.

That's the thing about Aerosmith, you can never write them off... out of the blue they'll come up with a stone-cold classic like Jaded...

Edited by machinegunner

@machinegunner,

I agree with you to a certain point. Yes every single "old" aerosmith album has some good tunes on it. No suprise is a great song from night in the ruts, and jailbait from rock in a hard place is also pretty good. One of my personal favs is chip away the stone. Its on gems, which is sorta like greatest hits part 2. But I only agree with your point about the old songs, not the newer ones.

Even though I enjoy nine lives, there are parts of that album I hate. That album is the beginning of aerosmith part 3. Basically everything that's happened since nine lives is part 3 in my mind, and part 3 has not produced any quality music imo. I know many like jaded and some of their other newer songs, but for me its just pointless pop music. They hardly even look like the band that I loved from way back. Bottom line is they have changed, musically and apperance. And its a change that has cost them this fan. I would still go and see them with my wife, but I have no desire to buy their music anymore.

Here's how I view aerosmith

1973~1982 aerosmith part 1 (real rock n roll band)

1985~1995 aerosmith part 2 (great come back, lots of hits, outside songwriters)

1997~present aerosmith part 3 (went number 1 with I don't want to miss a thing, but has gone completly pop, my grandma like them now because of american idol, is the real aerosmith still in there?)

Is that eddie van halen with steven tyler and joe perry? Aerosmith has always been unfriendly towards van halen. I know joe perry always felt intimidated by eddie. Aerosmith were the best american rock band from about 1973~1977, then van halen came out in 1978 and kicked aerosmiths ass. The boys in aerosmith always seemed jealous of van halen, at least from my perspective.

Funny how rumours spread over the years like chinese whispers... all it takes is one negative comment when you're high on hard drugs and your career is going downhill, and the press turns it into a story...the Perry-refused-to-shake-hands-with-Eddie story and its many takes on whether Perry thought he had already been dissed by Eddie... it goes on and on... anyway, it warms my heart that my heroes in Aerosmith and Van halen are friends now...

I think Joe Perry has always pulled off being an asshole admirably, he just does it with such style with that big slackjawed grin of his... one of my first male role models growing up, truth be told... he taught me 'how to be cool while being an asshole'...

But Joe Perry is a basically a good guy as evidenced through the years in interviews (eg. The Alice Cooper show).

Edited by machinegunner

Aerosmith will always hold a special place for me, they were the first "rock" band I was into. Before them guys like michael jackson, bobby brown, vanilla ice, and mc hammer were my favorite music.

Get a grip was my fav album for 2 or 3 years. That album hooked me hard. From there I went to big ones, then I bought pandora's box (great box set). I eventually bought everything and anything aerosmith.

I got into Aerosmith around the time of Permanent Vacation and around when they did they joint tour with GN'R. I heard GN'R raving about these lunatics Aerosmith in magazines and read a couple of interviews... I looked at the pictures and thought "these guys seem pretty cool" -- they had a kind of a classic British Invasion look about them -- and I soon found most of their earlier albums at my local records shop haunts.

Mike420, you mentioned Gems earlier... that was one cool compilation. I bought their biography by Mark Putterford The Fall And Rise of Aerosmith around when I saw them play on the Pump tour and still have the Pandora's Box boxset as well.

I hear what you're saying about latter Aerosmith generally not being what you want and can sympathize to a point but am still looking for more gems.

If you still find stuff in there newer stuff you enjoy, then that's great. It just seems to me that falling in love is hard on the knees became the new sound of the band, and as I stated before I don't care for that song much.

But aerosmith were my "gateway" band. After about a year or two of nothing but aerosmith my next two bands were the beatles and van halen. Aerosmiths version of cometogether got me curious about the beatles. And van halen I remembered being awesome as a kid, so I wanted to check them out. Then one of my buddy's got jimi hendrix's greatest hits, that cd def had a huge impact on me. From there I discovered led zeppelin. They changed my whole thinking about music, they were the standard all bands were to be judged by. And eventually I decided to buy appetite because I really like jungle and paradise city. And I am proud to admit that all these years later zeppelin and gnr are still my favs.

I got into Aerosmith around the time of Permanent Vacation and around when they did they joint tour with GN'R. I heard GN'R raving about these lunatics Aerosmith in magazines and read a couple of interviews... I looked at the pictures and thought "these guys seem pretty cool" -- they had a kind of a classic British Invasion look about them -- and I soon found most of their earlier albums at my local records shop haunts.

Mike420, you mentioned Gems earlier... that was one cool compilation. I bought their biography by Mark Putterford The Fall And Rise of Aerosmith around when I saw them play on the Pump tour and still have the Pandora's Box boxset as well.

I hear what you're saying about latter Aerosmith generally not being what you want and can sympathize to a point but am still looking for more gems.

"Nine Lives" was the album that got me in to Aerosmith.

I was 11 or 12 at the time, in 5th grade, saw the video for "Falling In Love (Is Hard On the Knees)" before school one morning, and was hooked for life.

Aerosmith and GN'R will always be my two favorite bands.