The 60s vs. The 70s in music

Vincent Vega

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I saw the title and thought, well obviously the 70s. Now that I think about it I'm not sure which was better.

I think I'll go 70s by a slight margin.

The Clash, Queen, Bowie's best albums, Elton John's best albums, Lennon's Imagine and Plastic Ono Band, and McCartney's Band on the Run.

Edited by luciusfunk

I give it to the 70's. The Stones in their prime, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Punk, Stevie Wonder, Elton John, Pink Floyd, Queen, Fleetwood Mac, Bob Marley, KISS, The Bee Gees (the start of their lesser era by a considerable amount), AC/DC, CCR, Van Halen, Tapestry by Carole King and at the end of the decade the rise of Michael Jackson as a solo artist.

Also I feel that whilst it began in the decade, music was still too single based in the 60's.

I give it to the 70's. The Stones in their prime, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Punk, Stevie Wonder, Elton John, Pink Floyd, Queen, Fleetwood Mac, Bob Marley, KISS, The Bee Gees (the start of their lesser era by a considerable amount), AC/DC, CCR, Van Halen, Tapestry by Carole King and at the end of the decade the rise of Michael Jackson as a solo artist.

Forgot about AC/DC and Van Halen.

And I agree about the 60s being single based.

Edited by luciusfunk

Guest Len B'stard

60s. Birth of reggae, Motown, a total over abundance of catchy 3 minute rock n roll songs in the charts, Beatles, The Who and The Stones at their best, the art aspect was born in this era and was fresh and exciting with a certain innocence and haphazardness, before they all started fancying themselves in the 70s and thinking they were like...titans of 'art'.

Even the shit pop pap of the charts of the 60s was brilliant, Hermans Hermits, Gary Puckett and the Union Gap, The Standells, Count Five, Connie Francis, The Hollies, Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Mick and Titch, The Creation, Petula Clark, Freddie and the Dreamers, Gerry and the Pacemakers, The Troggs, even the crap was amazing in the 60s.

And Jimi fuckin' Hendrix alone makes any fuckin' decade his own and i think if you picked him up and inserted him in any decade it'd sway that decade into being the bollocks, couple him with The Beatles and them two alone piss all over any and everything ever, the fact that all the rest were so fuckin' good was just like, icing on the cake.

Also SKA over in Jamaica, people like Desmond Decker singin' GIT UP EDINNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAA and all of that, the aforementioned Motown which was like, again, one of those things that was so great it was like a decade-maker in and of itself and also a lot of the sort of...little niches that the avante garde fell into were carved out in the 60s.

Guest Len B'stard

You lost me on Gary Puckett. Fuckin' big noncer . All his songs say I wanna get my cock moist in your post pubescent vag.

Yeah well that was all the rage back in them days, weren't it? :lol: Over 18, fuck, in them days they used to ask if you were under 18 otherwise they wouldn't have ya :lol:

1965-1975 is more cohesive period than either the calendar '60s or '70s.

You win the thread.

I agree. Most of the bands peaked in that period. Dylan and Beatles were peaking around 65/66. The Stones were beginning to peak around 68 (lasting until, about 72), The Who were peaking 1969-75 with the rock operas and Who's Next records. That period covers the whole discography of Hendrix, Joplin and The Doors also. It also covers Floyd until Wish You Were Here period and prime time Sabbath, Purple, Zep, Kiss, Nugent, ZZ Top and Aerosmith. By stopping at 75 it means we do not have to listen to dodgy albums like Night at the Ruts, Technical Ecstacy, In Through the Out Door or Gene Simmon's solo album. Although we will miss Some Girls!

If I had to choose between the two, I would choose 1960s.

• 4 months later...

The 60s was better in terms of music in general. Everything exploded that decade and its probably the most important decade musically of the last century.

Having said that, I'm a hard rock fan and most of the music I really liked came out in the 70s. I probably like more stuff from the 60s, but the stuff I really loved came out in the 70s. So personally, its the 70s for me. For music, hands down its the 60s/really early 70s. The 10 year period is really 62-72.

70s has classic Neil Young

After the Goldrush, Harvest, On the Beach, Tonights the Night, Zuma, Comes a Time and Rust Never Sleeps

70s wins

True, true. But then Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere slips into the '60s category at 1969. You also have Springfield and his debut. So even if you choose the '60s you are still going to get a good dose of classic Neil Young.

Guest Len B'stard

A good case could be made for the 80s being better than both the 70s and the 60s if people were a little more sober in their assessments and less inclined to like, y'know, keep the rose-tinted shades on.

Guest Len B'stard

A good case could be made for the 80s being better than both the 70s and the 60s if people were a little more sober in their assessments and less inclined to like, y'know, keep the rose-tinted shades on.

Too much eastenders. It is affecting your brain mate.

Look, you had a LOT going on in the 80s, the advent and growth and expansion of hip hop, the biggest thing since rock n roll, modern dance music got up and running in that era, all the rave stuff and house and all that, Reggae went through a totally new and different phase, the avante garde stuff in the 80s was WAAAAY out there, seriously avante garde, the independent music circuit was more or less built in the 80s on the back of Black Flag, The Replacements, Minutemen etc etc It was also the last decade Motown had something good to offer, there was a fuckload going on in the 80s in all sorts of different directions, strictly musically here, more so maybe than those other two decades. Madchester and all that too.

A helluva lot happened in the 80s.

Edited by sugaraylen