Why does Axl seem to rate DJ Ashba so highly?

Towelie

I am not an Ashba-hater or anythjng but I can't help but wonder why Axl seems to place DJ in the starring role of GNR guitarist over superior players like Ron and Rich.

DJ is the one who comes out and opens the shows every night. In the tour programme he comes right after Axl (in the same way BH was placed next to him in the ChiDem booklet).

Why do you think this is? Is it because Axl doesn't like Ron that much? Or maybe he sees DJ as a more marketable person?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess after so many bandmates jump ship you stop caring after a while. DJ seems grateful to be in the band, like he knows he's won the lottery or something. Axl just wants an easy life these days and just wants someone who's gonna stick around.

Probably because it's financially, logistically and practically convenient to do so.

This, and there's a lot of quotes re: Paul Tobias from Axl about how he liked Paul because he thought he had that bluesy feel that Slash had. I don't think Paul or Ashba are anywhere near as good as Slash, but I also think Axl may have a worry about being outshined (prob why he digs the "battling for lead guitarist/alpha male" dynamic). I think Slash is the same with lead singers as well: Myles is good but he'll never take the spotlight away from Slash.

I've met some people (mostly teenage girls at gigs), who love Ashba, and know his stuff from Sixx:AM (I find that stuff too emo-y, but to each their own). There was also some timid Chinese guy stood next to me at one of the London 2012 gigs who would suddenly go apeshit when Ashba came on, and scream out his name (I had to hold back tears of laughter when is guy warbled along to TIL).

But a lot of people I know get pissed off with the top hat/Slash-wannabe schtick, which bothers me, too. My dad and the mate I went with at the last gig in Abu Dhabi were a bit annoyed with it, and some guy I met a couple of days ago told me it pissed him off when he saw GNR at Reading in 2010 ("who the fuck is this 20 year old Slash wannabe?" "He's actually 40." "Wow.").

If DJ was being thought of back in the late 90s to join GNR, would he have been in instead of Robin or Richard?

I'm not a fan of DJ wearing the hat at all.

DJ would be perfect in KISS - even looks a bit like Ace Frehley. Put the makeup on him and people wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Why question friendships?

Personally I think Dj, Ron and Richard are a perfect fit. I was never a BH or Slash fan. I loved Robin but I don't think he was the best fit for gnr.

DJ, Ron and Richard fit GNR better than Slash? Fuck me where do we find these people? :lol:

Personally I think Dj, Ron and Richard are a perfect fit. I was never a BH or Slash fan. I loved Robin but I don't think he was the best fit for gnr.

DJ, Ron and Richard fit GNR better than Slash? Fuck me where do we find these people? :lol:
In a GNR Forum. Seriously, they are better than slash (ohh, $la$h) along with gilby ot tobias.

But Izzy will always be the best..

Crazy, isn't it.

You have to wonder if these people are serious or are they just trolling everybody?

DJ covers 20 Slash songs every show......................how many DJ songs does Slash cover? In fact, how many DJ songs do any other bands cover? Are there Sixx AM cover bands? Do other major bands sometimes cover Sixx AM songs? Do other bands cover any Motley songs off the album that DJ helped write?

Slash's writing and guitar skills helped created the music that these current guys cover every night. The songs that made GnR famous. The songs that helped put Axl in a mansion. Don't like the guy? Fine. But to not give him the respect for what he accomplished with GnR is just ludicrious. And to even put DJ in the same sentence with Slash...........please. Call me when DJ has accomplished 1/10th of what Slash has.

Crazy, isn't it.

You have to wonder if these people are serious or are they just trolling everybody?

DJ covers 20 Slash songs every show......................how many DJ songs does Slash cover? In fact, how many DJ songs do any other bands cover? Are there Sixx AM cover bands? Do other major bands sometimes cover Sixx AM songs? Do other bands cover any Motley songs off the album that DJ helped write?

Slash's writing and guitar skills helped created the music that these current guys cover every night. The songs that made GnR famous. The songs that helped put Axl in a mansion. Don't like the guy? Fine. But to not give him the respect for what he accomplished with GnR is just ludicrious. And to even put DJ in the same sentence with Slash...........please. Call me when DJ has accomplished 1/10th of what Slash has.

Will you give DJ props and stop insulting him on the world wide web if his riffs and solos are prominent in the next GNR hit?

Crazy, isn't it.

Will you give DJ props and stop insulting him on the world wide web if his riffs and solos are prominent in the next GNR hit?

it's not insulting, it's the fucking truth and you know it. you just prefer to ignore facts and believe GNR is perfect even with Sailaway on guitar and MLS on drums.