Bates Motel Season 2 Discussion (Spoilers Within)

wasted

I wish I could get it in with Norma.

:lol:

On a side note, can one of you guys edit the title of this thread to include a "Spoiler Alert"....seems like more and more members are getting into the show and writing about it shortly after the new episodes air...and there's still a lot of people playing "catch up" with it.....thanks in advance! ;)

Yo this Bradley girl would get the D more times than I have to give it. Seriously.

Show is pretty good. About to start Episode 5. Kind of sucks though, same as Hannibal, you kind of start to get a connection and a feel for the characters but ultimately you know they are or end up serial killers.

Yeah, I guess the writer's of the shows don't want you to just make a decision because they are killers or will be killers. They want to show all sides to them.

I still feel bad for Norma because I really like her. Maybe she gets more annoying as time goes on or Norman is just plain crazy and kills her out of jealousy. I just love how the writers let you know where this show will end up.

Yeah, I guess the writer's of the shows don't want you to just make a decision because they are killers or will be killers. They want to show all sides to them.

I still feel bad for Norma because I really like her. Maybe she gets more annoying as time goes on or Norman is just plain crazy and kills her out of jealousy. I just love how the writers let you know where this show will end up.

There's definitely some type of supernatural/esp thing going on with Norman already...it's as if he's already becoming possessed by his (future) dead mother's spirit/personality.

There's definitely some type of supernatural/esp thing going on with Norman already...it's as if he's already becoming possessed by his (future) dead mother's spirit/personality.
There's no way a supernatural element exists in this show. It's a matter of psychological breakdown and persona internalization. I have very little knowledge of psychology or psychotherapy, but I would imagine anyone familiar with those areas of study could explain Norman's behaviour from a scientific basis. If you look at the last episode, you can see how he internalizes what he overhears Norma telling Dylan. His commitment to protecting his mother extends to the point where he carries her grief, pain, and anger. It becomes too much for him that he goes into a comatose state where he takes on the personality of his damaged mother, who she herself has serious boundary issues with her sons - likely caused by the lack of boundaries she experienced growing up. Again, I'm not an expert in this kind of thing, but Norman's behaviour is better explained by a psychological analysis than a supernatural one.

Edited by downzy
  • Like 1

Why are you quoting me? I never said anything about The Bates Motel being a supernatural show.

We all know Norman becomes a serial killer after he kills his mom and her lover.

Yeah, Norma had a terrible childhood, but it's all speculation on the writers since there's no evidence about her life before Psycho.

The attachment between Norma and Norman is not a normal one of a mother and son. Norma depends on her son too much for things she should be handling, but because of her upbringing we can understand it. They are too close to each other and this is most likely why Norman acts jealous when his mom meets a man or goes out with one.

As for her brother raping her and Dylan that son, like I said all the imaginations of the writers since in the movie Psycho we never really new much about Norma except she was Norman's mother and they never mentioned her name either. It was "mother" or Norman's mother.

There's nothing supernatural about this show. It's all about the mental problems of Norma and her son Norman and his becoming a serial killer.

Okay, sorry, must have missed that one.

I don't always read every message on the board. I apologize. I didn't want to be misquoted or maybe the way I wrote my answer might have given someone the wrong impression as to where I was going with my answer.

Thanks.

Edited by Val22

There's no way a supernatural element exists in this show. It's a matter of psychological breakdown and persona internalization. I have very little knowledge of psychology or psychotherapy, but I would imagine anyone familiar with those areas of study could explain Norman's behaviour from a scientific basis. If you look at the last episode, you can see how he internalizes what he overhears Norma telling Dylan. His commitment to protecting his mother extends to the point where he carries her grief, pain, and anger. It becomes too much for him that he goes into a comatose state where he takes on the personality of his damaged mother, who she herself has serious boundary issues with her sons - likely caused by the lack of boundaries she experienced growing up. Again, I'm not an expert in this kind of thing, but Norman's behaviour is better explained by a psychological analysis than a supernatural one.

I've got a BA in psychology and yes, there are forms of schizophrenia that could lead to similar behavior patterns/hallucinations, etc...but what threw me off is that it seemed as if he knew the particular details of the incidents...as if he was there...sure, you can be schizo....but there's no way a schizo would make up the exact details....they would form their own internal version of the event. Maybe that's what he's doing...maybe not....we shall see....

P.S. You're probably right....but stop spoiling my fun.... :P ....

Edited by Kasanova King

I've got a BA in psychology and yes, there are forms of schizophrenia that could lead to similar behavior patterns/hallucinations, etc...but what threw me off is that it seemed as if he knew the particular details of the incidents...as if he was there...sure, you can be schizo....but there's no way a schizo would make up the exact details....they would form their own internal version of the event. Maybe that's what he's doing...maybe not....we shall see....

P.S. You're probably right....but stop spoiling my fun.... :P ....

I figured that he pieced things together either through what he heard from his mother or through his own imagination/hallucination. The flashbacks that the show included were likely Norman's hallucinations and not necessarily what happened.

And hey, what would my posts be if they didn't try to ruin someone's fun in some way :P

Edited by downzy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Season 1 in like a week and caught up with this season in just a few days as well. Pretty good so far. New girl isn't as hot as Bradley (still pretty hot), but she was starting to get annoying.

The CF Girl/Pot boyfriend storyline is kind of meh. I could care less about it really.

Good show. Not amazing, and overall I definitely prefer Hannibal out of the two, but definitely quality.

Also, I like Sheriff Romero a lot. I liked that guy on LOST a lot too, so cool to see him in this.

Also, why does that guy that Romero beat up (I forget his name) look like John 5 with a goatee?

Finished Season 1 in like a week and caught up with this season in just a few days as well. Pretty good so far. New girl isn't as hot as Bradley (still pretty hot), but she was starting to get annoying.

The CF Girl/Pot boyfriend storyline is kind of meh. I could care less about it really.

Good show. Not amazing, and overall I definitely prefer Hannibal out of the two, but definitely quality.

Also, I like Sheriff Romero a lot. I liked that guy on LOST a lot too, so cool to see him in this.

Also, why does that guy that Romero beat up (I forget his name) look like John 5 with a goatee?

S2 E5 has a lot of filler in it...about 30 minutes of it, lol...but about 15 minutes of it were pretty good.

On a side note...what's up with all your screen names lately? Multiple Personality Disorder maybe....you're not going all Norman Bates on us are you?

:P

Edited by Kasanova King

Finally caught up as well and watched tonight's episode. My thoughts... it's kind of "meh". It's not great but it isn't bad. It's good enough to keep watching, for now. I think the show may continue to develop nicely if pulled off right, as they've already renewed for a Season 3. Some of the acting seems forced at times, though. Really dig Max Thieriot's character. Dude has potential, was great in Disconnect.

Personally, I feel like the show is really starting to hit its stride. Now that Norman has entered into psycho territory we'll see the underlying premise of the show come to the fore. I do agree that there is a bit more filler, but I'm not ready to write it off just yet. It could all very well be leading to future plot developments. The relationship between Weedboy and Air Tube girl (can't remember their names) might play an important part later if Norman really starts letting loose.

I really like The Bates Motel. I really love the character of Norma. I think she's funny and smart. I sometimes hate the thought of Norman killing her and stuffing her later on in life.

The characters are very interesting considering when Psycho was made Norman was already a crazy killer and his mother was dead. I think the writers to this show are putting together their lives before well. You get so many little clues as to how it leads up to the movie.