Bates Motel Season 2 Discussion (Spoilers Within)

wasted

I haven't seen this show and lately I've been watching a ton of em but I was wondering just how good this show is? 1-10 or compared to other shows like a Hannibal or True Detective or that of other shows?

Never watched Hannibal so I can't compare it to that show. I agree with Forsaken, not as good as True Detective, but True Detective isn't really a television show, I'd classify it as a mini-series (or a very long movie that was cut up into six parts).

Out of ten, I would give it an 8 to an 8.5. For frame of reference, Breaking Bad would be 9.5 - 10, while the Walking Dead would be 6.0 - 6.5.

Bates Motel is very good at what it tries to be. It's not as simplistic as the title makes it seem. They really get into who the characters are and how they affect one another. Plus there's a lot about the town that the show takes place. If the show had nothing to do with Norman Bates it would still be a good show with the included cast of characters. There's a lot of mystery to almost every character in the show, not just Norman.

It isn't on the level of True Detective at all but is better than Hannibal IMO

Well you are wrong. :max:

I just couldn't get into that show man. I watched a few episodes and said fuck it. Bates Motel isn't the greatest show on TV or anything but it is at least watchable to the point where you wanna see the next episode.

I just couldn't get into that show man. I watched a few episodes and said fuck it. Bates Motel isn't the greatest show on TV or anything but it is at least watchable to the point where you wanna see the next episode.

You just didn't get it, man.

The Bates Motel is an excellent show.

I highly recommend you watch the 1960 movie Psycho before you start the show. It's in the second season now on A&E. I'm sure the first season is on dvd/blue ray now.

The characters are so rich and there are hints the writers give that you can see what the future brings for Norma and Norman.

I also find it so interesting, that in the movie Psycho you never knew Norman's mother's name. She was always Mother or Norman's mother. Now putting a name to the face makes you feel like you know these characters so much better.

The town that the Bates Motel is in is also a character too. So many weird things going on, but they just seem to fit the feel of the show.

It's just a very good show and keeps getting better every week.

Hannibal is excellent too, but very gory and explicit with it's murders, but it fits the show great.

• Like 1

You just didn't get it, man.

I've watched the first several episodes of Hannibal...and so far I would say it's about even with Bates Motel....but it does seem to move at a somewhat slower pace....but with a ton of more gore.

Edited by Kasanova King

• 2 weeks later...

Some of it seems corny. The Nick Ford guys acting seems forced as hell. Also sheriff Romero running around and controlling every thing all on his own? Seems ridiculous. He also seems to be the only police officer to know about the weed cartels supposedly running the city or whatever, so why not just off the guy if you are in the cartel? Stupid. Why should he be so feared? I've noticed a lot of flaws in Vera's acting in this show, too.

I'll stick by Max Thieriot, though. Even though the story line with Zane is kind of lame I think the dude is talented.

Haven't liked the last two episodes. I'm becoming really tired of Dylan's storyline.

It was renewed for a 3rd season though so hopefully it picks back up.

Some of it seems corny. The Nick Ford guys acting seems forced as hell. Also sheriff Romero running around and controlling every thing all on his own? Seems ridiculous. He also seems to be the only police officer to know about the weed cartels supposedly running the city or whatever, so why not just off the guy if you are in the cartel? Stupid. Why should he be so feared? I've noticed a lot of flaws in Vera's acting in this show, too.

I'll stick by Max Thieriot, though. Even though the story line with Zane is kind of lame I think the dude is talented.

Wow, and here I thought the show was really starting to pick up. I've enjoyed Dylan's storyline and how it's tying back to Norman's. There's still a lot they need to explain about Romero but I'm sure they'll get to it (hopefully not as long as it took Lost to explain the same actors' backstory). My guess is that he's accepted the de facto rule of the drug families/cartels so long as violence stays to a minimum and he gets a taste of the revenues.

As for the Zane storyline, I think it's run it's course. He's been too annoying and made too many dumb decisions.

Haven't liked the last two episodes. I'm becoming really tired of Dylan's storyline.

Wow, and here I thought the show was really starting to pick up. I've enjoyed Dylan's storyline and how it's tying back to Norman's. There's still a lot they need to explain about Romero but I'm sure they'll get to it (hopefully not as long as it took Lost to explain the same actors' backstory). My guess is that he's accepted the de facto rule of the drug families/cartels so long as violence stays to a minimum and he gets a taste of the revenues.

As for the Zane storyline, I think it's run it's course. He's been too annoying and made too many dumb decisions.

I watched last weeks episode again yesterday since my wife hadn't seen it. I actually liked the Dylan stuff a lot more upon a second view. I'm really hoping for a lot of things to start to tie together tonight since there's only a couple episodes left in this season.

I hope Zahn gets killed. He' is super annoying and super stupid. For years, the two pot sellers played nice and then he comes along and messes up the peace.

I hope Dylan either clears this mess up or just leaves town and lives. He's caught between a rock and a hard place, not to mention coming from a crazy family.

So Norman killed his teacher. I can only guess that years before he killed his mother and her lover, Norman has been killing and Norma has been covering it up, only to get killed by him in the end.

I feel bad for Emma. She needs to get away from this crazy family before she gets killed in the cross hairs.

Next week is the finale of this season. I like the cop Hope he doesn't get killed.

Hopefully that fire poker hit fucking killed the Ford guy.... such cringeworthy acting from that dude.

Not sure who is to blame for his apparent "forced" acting in that role....his persona just didn't fit....seems like he was used to playing a "good guy" role and when he had to switch over to a "bad guy" role, the viewer could clearly see he was reading a script (which is pretty much the worst possible scenario when it comes to acting).

Last couple of episodes have been kind of "eh". Still enjoying it though.

I agree....almost every major aspect of the show has taken a turn for the worse - the acting, the directing and the writing. Hopefully it comes back together for the season finale.

• Like 1

Well, the last scene in The Bates Motel was very creepy indeed.

Norman is already becoming his mother. So many scenes this season showed you eventually where Norma and Norman end up. The writers are very good. You can see this show is heading right in the direction of the movie Psycho.

I hope it stays on the air until Norman kills his mother and turns totally into her.

Well, the last scene in The Bates Motel was very creepy indeed.

Norman is already becoming his mother. So many scenes this season showed you eventually where Norma and Norman end up. The writers are very good. You can see this show is heading right in the direction of the movie Psycho.

I hope it stays on the air until Norman kills his mother and turns totally into her.

Agreed. Overall I liked the season finale. Hopefully they get back to how good the first season was early in the next one.

I thought the season finale was "ok". But seems as if (since they know the show has been renewed) they are starting to drag out the story.

I'm also wondering why only 10 episodes for a season? Definitely seems like they are trying to get as much out of this storyline as possible...basically dragging it out as long as they can for as many seasons as they can. The overall quality of the show is starting to show this...and unfortunately seems to suffer because of it. You can only do so much for what is essentially a prequel to a film that was less than two hours long to begin with.

Overall, I still like the show and think it has potential...just wondering where they plan to go with it, if in fact they don't wrap it up by the end of next season.

Edited by Kasanova King

I enjoyed this season. I thought it was a fun, quirky show.

It's pretty interesting to see Norman's descent into madness. Norma is crazy like a fox and Norman is going flat out delusional crazy.

I still like the characters though, especially Dylan. I was glad to see Norma reach out to him and try to mend their rift.

I even like Romero's badass sheriff character.

I thought the ending shot of Norman's eyes was quite creepy and well done.

Looking forward to next season.

I haven't seem season one yet, I stumbled across this an episode or two in to season two. I enjoyed this show, I'm definitely going to make a point of watching season one. I thought season two ended quite well.

When Norman spaces out it creeps me the fuck out. :confused:

I haven't seem season one yet, I stumbled across this an episode or two in to season two. I enjoyed this show, I'm definitely going to make a point of watching season one. I thought season two ended quite well.

When Norman spaces out it creeps me the fuck out. :confused:

Now that I think about it, the season finale was pretty good. Not sure what I was expecting but I'm realizing that the writers are actually just getting started really....with the character developments, etc....so yeah, I can easily see the show going for at least two more seasons....maybe more...looking forward to next season.