Exile on Main Street vs. Physical Graffiti

Vincent Vega

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PG is a piece of crap, just awful - I can write a better album in five minutes. Exile is the most profound, most soulfull, most bluesy, most rock n' roll album in the history of man. It is a complete masterpiece. Genius. Not a week goes by when I do not listen to Exile (and I never fail to discover new things about the record).

I understand that you prefer exile, that's cool. But pg is hardly a piece of crap. Kashmir, trampled underfoot, in the light, and ten years gone alone make it a must have for any rock collection. You must hate the illusion albums, because no way in hell are they better than physical graffiti.
I admit, I am not a Zep fan.

I wouldn't say I hate the Illusions but they are not a patch on Appetite.

Which is also not a patch on PG. I love AFD, and the Illusions and Exile is downright decent, but PG is one of those albums where everything goes right. That one gets played front to back, no skips. The other ones mentioned aren't so fortunate.

I 100% disagree. Every single note, every beat on Exile is just perfect. Compare Jagger's lyrics on Loving Cup and SBA with Plant's songs about elves and dwarfs - Plant could never write lyrics. Appetite doesn't quite reach the same level of perfection as Exile - it sadly is let down by one clanger, Anything Goes - but it is also a much better record than PG. In fact, I would probably take Dirty Work or The Spaghetti Incident over PG.

There ain't a single song on Exile that ain't 10 out of 10.

I Just Wanna See His Face.

What's audible of Mick's vocals: "Huuh..NAH....Woooh JUST WANNA SEE HIS FACE" Repeat ad infinitum.

Not a bad song, but the mixing brings it down a few notches. Awesome drumming.

EDIT: Add Jesus into afroementioned vocals.

Edited by Johnny Drama

Guest Len B'stard

To my mind you could make a best of Zeppelin culled from their entire discography and it wouldn't be a patch on Exile.

Guest Len B'stard

To my mind you could make a best of Zeppelin culled from their entire discography and it wouldn't be a patch on Exile.

You always seem to side with the elitist music critics on everything.
Thats interesting, how so? :)

You always choose The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, The Sex Pistols and Nirvana whenever there are debates on here and one of those groups or artists is pitted against somebody else not on that list.

I'd say it's because you have rather sophisticated taste in music despite the fact that you're................well, not sophisticated. :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

You always choose The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, The Sex Pistols and Nirvana whenever there are debates on here and one of those groups or artists is pitted against somebody else not on that list.

Yeah i guess thats pretty accurate but then they are pretty huge popular bands on their times and sort of the top of the tree in their particular thing so, i dunno, i guess my taste is pretty common or something. I mean generally speaking when comparisons are done the bands they're stacked up against are bands that tend to be of a common vein and The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, The Pistols and Nirvana were sort of standard bearers of their particular thing, i would've thought elitists would more like side with what was kinda off-beat and edgy as opposed to the aforementioned which are pretty much the pop music of their day, no? I mean, elitists don't tend to fall on the side of the broad majority, do they?

But yeah, can't argue with that, i do love those bands/artists mentioned and if you stack em up against most others of their era i'd probably pick from among them 9 times out of 10. I guess i must have somewhat boring taste in music, tasters choice and all that :lol: The flipside to that is the elitists options tend to figure highly in any comparitive threads around here, i mean i've not seen a Slaughter and the Dogs vs The Pastels threads knocking about so i'm sort of left to pick from whats on offer i guess but yeah, you're right there, i'd pick among the aforementioned time and time again when you stack em up against most artists out there.

Edited by sugaraylen

You never pick what would be the underdog from a critic's point of view. Just once I'd like to see you side with Tyson over Ali or Bronson over Eastwood or The Kinks over The Who and The Rolling Stones.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Guest Len B'stard

You never pick the critical underdog. Just once I'd like to see you side with Tyson over Ali or Bronson over Eastwood or The Kinks over The Who and The Rolling Stones.

I'd put Bronson and Eastwood on evens in my book and i do prefer The Kinks over The Stones as it happens, can't help you on the Ali front though i'm afraid :lol:

I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone whoose even seen as many Bronson movies as me, especially on this forum.

Edited by sugaraylen

Zeppelin are underdogs? You have to be joking, right?

Before

I Just Wanna See His Face is a great song. The Stones evoke the rhythms of their heroes on that one, the ambiant music of gospel and soul.

Really?

What you just said is why zeppelin is better than the stones in every single way. Take in my time of dying for example, that's more pure blues at its core than anything the stones ever played. Zeppelin played blues music better than anyone not named hendrix, period.

Don't get me wrong, I love that england rediscovered the blues in the 60's, but none of those bands were really qualified to play the blues. It's not a knock on any of the musicians from that time, they just didn't fully understand the blues. Clapton did a good job and early fleetwood mac were the best non zeppelin represenatives.

Before I get a ton of "hate" comments let me elaborate. Anyone can learn how to play the blues, but only a select few can actually make the blues their own. But in order to do that it has to come from your soul, from deep dark places. This music came out of american slavery, and imo only african~americans are qualified to play it. Robert johnson, bb king, john lee hooker, and others are "real" blues artists. Hendrix made his name on the blues circuit, and he was the person that really brought the blues back during the 60's. And imo he was the last real blues musician to come along.

Now we come to blues rock, that's what all of the british invasion bands were about. They all do an amazing job at that, I love all of those bands. But then there's led zeppelin. They were the only british band that not only could play the music, they had it in their soul. When zeppelin plays songs like in my time of dying, nobodys fault but mine, since I've been loving you, and no quarter they have captured the true essence of the blues better than anyone since robert johnson.

So when I see you say that "stones evoke the rythms of their hero's" I all most laugh. I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying nobody evokes anything like zeppelin did. So my point is, everything you say is good about the stones, zeppelin can do better.

Not to mention zeppelin>than the stones in every way.

Page owns every guitar player that has ever played in the stones

Bonham destroys their drummer

Jpj is a better over all musican than any member of the stones

While I do like and respect jagger, he is a great frontamn. I feel plant is better. I like plants voice better than jaggers, he has that great rnr scream/howl. Jagger is a great lyricist, but I also think plant is better here also. Stairway to heaven, ten years gone, and fool in the rain are better lyrics than anything jagger ever wrote.

Before someone starts bashing, I love the stones. I think they are a great band, but they don't match up well against zeppelin, not many do. If you disagree with me that's fine, this is just my opinion.

PG is a piece of crap, just awful - I can write a better album in five minutes. Exile is the most profound, most soulfull, most bluesy, most rock n' roll album in the history of man. It is a complete masterpiece. Genius. Not a week goes by when I do not listen to Exile (and I never fail to discover new things about the record).

I understand that you prefer exile, that's cool. But pg is hardly a piece of crap. Kashmir, trampled underfoot, in the light, and ten years gone alone make it a must have for any rock collection. You must hate the illusion albums, because no way in hell are they better than physical graffiti.
I admit, I am not a Zep fan.

I wouldn't say I hate the Illusions but they are not a patch on Appetite.

Which is also not a patch on PG. I love AFD, and the Illusions and Exile is downright decent, but PG is one of those albums where everything goes right. That one gets played front to back, no skips. The other ones mentioned aren't so fortunate.

I 100% disagree. Every single note, every beat on Exile is just perfect. Compare Jagger's lyrics on Loving Cup and SBA with Plant's songs about elves and dwarfs - Plant could never write lyrics. Appetite doesn't quite reach the same level of perfection as Exile - it sadly is let down by one clanger, Anything Goes - but it is also a much better record than PG. In fact, I would probably take Dirty Work or The Spaghetti Incident over PG.

The Rover
I've been to London, seen seven wonders. I know to trip is just to fall
I used to rock it, sometimes I'd roll it. I always knew what it was for.
There can be no denyin' that the wind 'll shake 'em down
And the flat world's flyin'. There's a new plague on the land
If we could just join hands [X3]
Traversed the planet when heaven sent me. I saw the kings who rule them all
Still by the firelight and purple moonlight. I hear the rested rivers call
And the wind is crying, from a love that won't grow cold
My lover, she is lying, on the dark side of the globe
If we could just join hands [X3]
You got me rockin' when I ought to be a-rollin'
Darlin', tell me, darlin', which way to go
You keep me rockin', baby, then you keep me stolen
Won't you tell me, darlin', which way to go... that's right
Oh how I wonder, oh how I worry and I would dearly like to know
I've all this wonder of earthly plunder will it leave us anything to show
And our time is flyin' see the candle burnin' low
Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
If we could just join hands.
Don't see any elves or dwarves

Any Elves or Dwarves here??

"Custard Pie"
Drop down, baby, let your daddy see.
Drop down, mama, just dream of me
Well, my mama allow me to fool around all night long
Well, I may look like I'm crazy, I should know right from wrong
See me comin', throw your man out the door
Ain't no stranger, been this way before
See me comin', mama, throw your man out the door
I ain't no stranger, I been this way before.
Put on your night shirt and your morning gown
You know by night I'm gonna shake 'em down
Put on your night shirt Mama, and your morning gown
Well, you know by night I'm gonna shake 'em down
Your custard pie, yeah, sweet and nice
When you cut it, mama, save me a slice
Your custard pie, I declare, it's sweet and nice
I Like your custard pie
When you cut it, mama... mama, please save me a slice.
I'd like a slice of your custard pie.
Drop down

Still haven't found any dwarves or elves....

In my time of dying, want nobody to mourn
All I want for you to do is take my body home
Well, well, well, so I can die easy [X2]
Jesus, gonna make up my dyin' bed.
Meet me, Jesus, meet me. Meet me in the middle of the air
If my wings should fail me, Lord. Please meet me with another pair
Well, well, well, so I can die easy [X2]
Jesus, gonna make up.. somebody, somebody...
Jesus gonna make up... Jesus gonna make you my dyin' bed
Oh, Saint Peter, at the gates of heaven... Won't you let me in
I never did no harm. I never did no wrong
Oh, Gabriel, let me blow your horn. Let me blow your horn
Oh, I never did, did no harm.
I've only been this young once. I never thought I'd do anybody no wrong
No, not once.
Oh, I did somebody some good. Somebody some good...
Oh, did somebody some good. I must have did somebody some good...
Oh, I believe I did
I see the smiling faces
I know I must have left some traces
And I see them in the streets
And I see them in the field
And I hear them shouting under my feet
And I know it's got to be real
Oh, Lord, deliver me
All the wrong I've done
You can deliver me, Lord
I only wanted to have some fun.
Hear the angels marchin', hear the' marchin', hear them marchin',
hear them marchin', the' marchin'
Oh my Jesus... [repeat]
Oh, don't you make it my dyin', dyin', dyin'...

Zeppelin are underdogs? You have to be joking, right?

Before

I Just Wanna See His Face is a great song. The Stones evoke the rhythms of their heroes on that one, the ambiant music of gospel and soul.

Really?

What you just said is why zeppelin is better than the stones in every single way. Take in my time of dying for example, that's more pure blues at its core than anything the stones ever played. Zeppelin played blues music better than anyone not named hendrix, period.

Don't get me wrong, I love that england rediscovered the blues in the 60's, but none of those bands were really qualified to play the blues. It's not a knock on any of the musicians from that time, they just didn't fully understand the blues. Clapton did a good job and early fleetwood mac were the best non zeppelin represenatives.

Before I get a ton of "hate" comments let me elaborate. Anyone can learn how to play the blues, but only a select few can actually make the blues their own. But in order to do that it has to come from your soul, from deep dark places. This music came out of american slavery, and imo only african~americans are qualified to play it. Robert johnson, bb king, john lee hooker, and others are "real" blues artists. Hendrix made his name on the blues circuit, and he was the person that really brought the blues back during the 60's. And imo he was the last real blues musician to come along.

Now we come to blues rock, that's what all of the british invasion bands were about. They all do an amazing job at that, I love all of those bands. But then there's led zeppelin. They were the only british band that not only could play the music, they had it in their soul. When zeppelin plays songs like in my time of dying, nobodys fault but mine, since I've been loving you, and no quarter they have captured the true essence of the blues better than anyone since robert johnson.

So when I see you say that "stones evoke the rythms of their hero's" I all most laugh. I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying nobody evokes anything like zeppelin did. So my point is, everything you say is good about the stones, zeppelin can do better.

Not to mention zeppelin>than the stones in every way.

Page owns every guitar player that has ever played in the stones

Bonham destroys their drummer

Jpj is a better over all musican than any member of the stones

While I do like and respect jagger, he is a great frontamn. I feel plant is better. I like plants voice better than jaggers, he has that great rnr scream/howl. Jagger is a great lyricist, but I also think plant is better here also. Stairway to heaven, ten years gone, and fool in the rain are better lyrics than anything jagger ever wrote.

Before someone starts bashing, I love the stones. I think they are a great band, but they don't match up well against zeppelin, not many do. If you disagree with me that's fine, this is just my opinion.

If you take your argument and switch Zeppelin with The Stones, I would agree. What you are arguing about, Zeppelin being the true custodians of American music, is exactly what I believe The Stones were. Plant shrieks like a woman who is going through the menopause - there is no soul and rhythm in his voice. Bluesman are not meant to shriek like banshees. Bluesman also do not write lyrics like this:

Mine's a tale that can't be told,

My freedom I hold dear;

How years ago in days of old

When magic filled the air,

'Twas in the darkest depths of Mordor

I met a girl so fair.

But Gollum, and the evil one crept up

And slipped away with her.

- Ramble On

How ever you choose to dress it up, this lyric is wretched, fucking horrid, rancid.

The thing is Plant has a singing voice. Mick just talks over the music sort of in tune.

I mean, individually it's no contest whatsoever, the Zeppelin guys play rings around every Rolling Stone that was, or ever will be.

Edited by moreblack

No they couldn't. Zeppelin could never do the subtle interlocking weaving thing which happens between Richards and the other guitarist as well as Bill and Charlie (Guns also had this a bit on Appetite). The Stones weave music together. Zep just play loud big riffs and Bonham just bashes away. The Stones are nuanced and soulfull. Zep are obvious and try too hard. The Stones' music flows more naturally than Zep's, ''look at us'', approach. I mean look at Watts. Watts is the greatest drummer ever because he serves the song. For Bonham it was all, ego, all 30 minute drum solos.

Page doesn't need another guitarist.

Jones can lock in with Bonham so well it's seamless. Not seen in too many places except for Moon and Entwistle.

There are so many greater drummers than Watts, it would be easier to list the ones that aren't.

Edited by moreblack