Exile on Main Street vs. Physical Graffiti

Vincent Vega

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I mainly listened to 70's rock and gangster rap when I was in school. You guys had a different scene in the UK.

Agreed.

Just because that's how it was in GB, doesn't mean that's an accuruate reflection on the rest of the world. 70's rock was very big in the 90's here in the usa. Movies like wayne's world and dazed and confused helped revive intrest in classic rock. Honestly just about everybody I knew had the dazed and confused sdtr.

Not to sound like a dick, but england is very small when compared to the rest of the world. And honestly other than the brittish invasion and the nwobhm, the trends over there don't have any affect on the usa. Other than spice girls, you guys really fucked us over with that one.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

out of curiosity, how outwardly apparent was your fondness for 70s rock? Did you talk about it, did you have a lot of mates that were into it, were that group of mates reflective of the majority where you're from?

You had people who would only listen to rap or only listen to metal, but most people listened to a variety of stuff. There wasn't as much division here.

You kinda didn't answer my question there fella.

I didn't dress like I was into a particular brand of music when I was in High School. The Wigger thread was more of a cupcake thread. We would talk about whatever it was we listened to, but it wasn't that big of a deal. We might get high and listen to zep or we might get high and listen to Pac. But most of the time we would get high and listen to a bit of both.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Guest Len B'stard

I mainly listened to 70's rock and gangster rap when I was in school. You guys had a different scene in the UK.

Agreed.

Just because that's how it was in GB, doesn't mean that's an accuruate reflection on the rest of the world. 70's rock was very big in the 90's here in the usa. Movies like wayne's world and dazed and confused helped revive intrest in classic rock. Honestly just about everybody I knew had the dazed and confused sdtr.

Not to sound like a dick, but england is very small when compared to the rest of the world. And honestly other than the brittish invasion and the nwobhm, the trends over there don't have any affect on the usa. Other than spice girls, you guys really fucked us over with that one.

You'd do well by noticing that that was my point to begin with, just cuz it's that way in America don't mean it's that way in the rest of the world and i don't mean just England, i actually really mean the rest of the world.

And the trends do effect you, just a lot later. England pretty much woke rock n roll up so, y'know, thank you for that, british invasion, apparently it's still all you get on your radio, England gave you punk and you can go on about the New York Scene all you want but the fact is the bands that came out of the hardcore movement, predominantly were more of The Damned type variety than Talking Heads or Patti Smith. And whaddya know, 20 years later America has it's own punk revolution through grunge.

And also, club music was kickin' over here in the 90s, all over the fuckin' place and...and whaddya know, once again, 20 years down the line and club music and club beats are predominantly whats in the charts in America. David Guetta, a lot of Rihannas beats and Pitbull and all them lot, all this dubstep, thats basically you lot catching onto the dance revolution a great deal after the fact.

Again, if we're gonna talk facts lets talk facts. Not bad for a tiny little island i'm sure you'll agree. In fact, i'd go so far as to say the tiny little island leads the way.

Edited by sugaraylen

Grunge was kind of like American's Zepp and Sabbath and NWOBHM and punk, like Abstract Expressionism was probably funded by the CIA.

And now hip hop and Country are way bigger than rock. So they have a way of keeping it USA.

Like Morrissey said on Glamorous Glue "we get the language we use from America, London is dead, I'm too much in love"

Guest Len B'stard

England had no answer for gangster rap.

At all :lol: Respect to America for hip hop...and hey, rock n roll too, lets not forget the fuckin' motherland here and give off the idea that i'm tryna say England invented every fuckin' thing cuz they didn't. Country, Blues, Soul, America deserves a huge standing ovation for all of that shit.

Although its worth noting, if you wanna get REALLY historical about it, hip hop is pretty much just New Yorkers doing what Jamaican DJs were doing with dub reggae since the early 70s i.e. talkin' rhymed words over beats...and that was popular in England even in the early 70s :shrugs:

You've never heard the Ruthless Rap Assassins?

Or that Teen Spirit remix Call it What You Want? I think I bought that little guys record when it came out. Like a British gangster rap album.

I dont understand why British bands were the first to package up Elvis or RNB and make bands of it. The Doors, The Eagles who else was there Jefferson Airplane? Why did America wait for some jumped up tart form LSE to show them how to rock?

The Streets in british Eminem. I've never really investigated Dizzy Rascal. Guns and crack epidemics really up the ante on sheeps and ale.

Edited by wasted

Thinking about it, fuck the internet. All that money I saved to buy literally thousands of tapes and cds and now I can just dl them for nothing. I could probably buy a small speed boat. Not to mention all my dvds. god damn capitalists.

Hooligan Rap? :lol:

Oasis are the gangster rappers of the UK.

Guest Len B'stard

Also, we had Jungle, recycled beats and the rapping was being done by the people that actually invented it i.e. Jamaicans.

Edited by sugaraylen

I am generalising here but in the Britain in the 90s you were either an ecstacy raver chav (with a skinhead - usually a football hooligan also), a poppy school girl (who tended to date, ecstacy raver chavs), a metalhead who despised everyone who didn't like metal, or into the BritPop thing. People into BritPop were more open minded than metalheads but I do not think they listened to much else other than britpop.

This all changed with the arrival of nu-metal, goth, emo but the divisions still exist: One group likes one music, another group likes another. It goes back to the Mods V Rockers.

I am not buying into this whole, liberal American scene by which American kids listened to gangster rap and metal and classic rock etc. I think Americans were just as demarcated musically as their Atlantic cousins. Look at the videos of crowds at Metallica concerts. Those are the exact same moronic people you find in Britain accept they have an American accent; those people are never going to listen to rap or pop either.

Or vice versa, do black gangster rapper kids get out their Guns N' Roses and Canned Heat albums? Bollocks do they. One In A Million goes down a treat, so I heard. Those albums to black america are all white trash racist rubbish.

bands like Chile Peppers and Faith no more were those people. I for some reason had AFD and Straight Outta Compton, Nirvana and Fear of Black Planet. Maybe Suburban kids just didn't have much of their own in terms of music. So anything controversial really.

Do you think the music a person listens to says something about who they are, their mindset?

No, it might say who they aren't sometimes. For some it's escape from their real lives. Some people do identify with bands though and shaped but not necessarily.

How many black faces do you see at Guns N' Roses concerts? In actual fact - unless the show is in asia - how many non caucasians do you see at Guns N' Roses concerts - Europe or America? Even at the Rock and Rios - Brazil has a gigantic black population - most of the crowds are Latinos.

How many black faces do you see at Guns N' Roses concerts? In actual fact - unless the show is in asia - how many non caucasians do you see at Guns N' Roses concerts - Europe or America? Even at the Rock and Rios - Brazil has a gigantic black population - most of the crowds are Latinos.

That's true of the concert crowds for sure. But people into music do genre hop, it's not all about identity. Plus when you're 16 you just want whatever sounds the most rebellious. I still mix rock and rap now, Fall Out boy and 50 Cent but I doubt if I got dropped into South Central my Snoop Dogg knowledge would help me.

Guest Len B'stard

I'm an asian lad and i went to The Sex Pistols reunion in Brixton, i was pretty much the only person of colour there and this one guy kept saying "u wanna watch yourself mate, the NF lot are here"

I went to see The Stone Roses reunion at Heaton Park and a bunch of pissed up Mancs wanted to kick the fuck out of me, for no other reason than i looked well different. England had drawn or lost to Italy at the time in football and a bunch of about 5 Manc lads just started kickin' off with me, initially after hearing my accent and it being a Londoney type down south one, they saw my mate had a goatee and they were like "where you from mate, you ain't from around here are you, y'know what i think? i think you and your mate are Italians, we don't like Italians round here" and this other one with em chirps up with "we like fuckin' pakis even less"...ended up with me turning to em and going "look, whats the problem? Does my being here really bother you that much? If it does, if it really troubles you, if the sight of me being here annoys you that much that it makes it so you can't enjoy a gig without givin' me stick, i'll leave now, is it that, do you want me to leave, or do you just fancy a kick off and thought yeah, he looks a likely candidate and if thats the case then come on, lets get out into the park and me and you can have it out where it's more open" and they just kinda laughed and made some snidey comments and left it at that...sort of. I suppose bearing in mind there was like a few hundred thousand people that we'd have to wade through from up front to get to something of a clearing and figured they were better off just enjoying the music of this band they been waiting 20 years to reunite for.

Went to see Snoop in Kentish Town, TONS of security, tons of searching, predominantly black lads and lasses there although white too and y'know what, they was the most respectful, respect your own space cool non-cuntish gig i've ever been too. Never had a problem.

I suppose it's my fault for going to so many fuckin' punk gigs and that, what do i expect, dragging my brown arse down there's gonna be in for some stick by default i suppose :shrugs:

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

None of em scare me that much quite frankly cuz to me they all look like grown up versions of the metallers that got bullied in school so they can fuckin try me if they fancy it.

And people wonder why my lot live in communities and dont muck in in things so much round, truth is we ain't really welcome, im the only lad of my race and demographic i know of that was ever into punk or rock n roll as you pointed out previously and i cant say i blame em.

Someone even kicked off with me at a GnR gig in Hammersmith in 06, smacked me right in the

Chops, gave him a few licks back and security dragged him out and all these cunts around me were like 'him too, him too, he hit him!'...and all for stickin up for myself :rolleyes:

Edited by sugaraylen

It's pretty really, but in the UK you can get in fight at the bus stop for nothing. One of friend's was greek and he was always mouthing off when he was pissed. And I'd be like shut the fuck up they gonna kill us. there's always drunk twats around to prove themselves but if you say anything they run off. weirdos!

Do you think the music a person listens to says something about who they are, their mindset?

I think that the music a person listens to speaks volumes about the type of person they are personally. I can usually tell in pretty short order whether I'm gonna get along with somebody based on a couple of simple questions about their musical tastes. It's by no means an absolute prerequisite but I can think of countless instances when I've been chatting to somebody where the conversation went pretty much like this:

"Kings of Leon man, they're fucki.......... blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah............................"

Or at least that's how it sounded to me after I'd already turned my back on 'em and gone to get another drink. :lol: