Does anybody else prefer 90's hip hop to grunge?

Randy Lahey

Snoop and NWA are the symptoms and PE were the diagnosis.

is it Do the Right Thing where that tall guy walks around blaster one of thier songs. 911 is a Joke is pretty good. But you feel like you're being indoctrinated into something. Whereas Snoop is just encouraging you to live the right way.

Ice Cube is kind of a movie star. I keep expecting him to do a Subway's commercial.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't leave out warren g either. His first three albums are classic, and his production is so smooth..

All Eyes on Me - bin the second disc and throw out Whats Your Phone No for Wonda Why They Call U Bitch and the title track.

I really like the whole album. What's yo phone numba is on disc 1 and the other two u mentioned disc 2..

Johnny j, one of the main producers of that album jumped off the top tier in prison and killed himself! Agree that some songs could have been left off, personally think me against the world and don killuminati were more solid albums..

Rap of the generation you're talking about Randy was an entire cultural revolution, grunge was like a nostalgic flare up of one particular little genre of music.

And that particular little genre of music wasn't punk, except for Nirvana (and just a bit of PJ), but they were posers (not PJ). The best Grunge bands were the ones with less punk on the mix and more metal. On a side note, 90's hip hop was very good, indeed.

You can say all you want, but fact is that those two were cultural revolutions (there were people killing themselves because of Kurt for gods sake).No band sounded like AiC before them.

Don't leave out warren g either. His first three albums are classic, and his production is so smooth..

All Eyes on Me - bin the second disc and throw out Whats Your Phone No for Wonda Why They Call U Bitch and the title track.

I really like the whole album. What's yo phone numba is on disc 1 and the other two u mentioned disc 2..

Johnny j, one of the main producers of that album jumped off the top tier in prison and killed himself! Agree that some songs could have been left off, personally think me against the world and don killuminati were more solid albums..

IMO Me Against the World and Makaveli kill All Eyez.

Rap of the generation you're talking about Randy was an entire cultural revolution, grunge was like a nostalgic flare up of one particular little genre of music.

And that particular little genre of music wasn't punk, except for Nirvana (and just a bit of PJ), but they were posers (not PJ). The best Grunge bands were the ones with less punk on the mix and more metal. On a side note, 90's hip hop was very good, indeed.

You can say all you want, but fact is that those two were cultural revolutions (there were people killing themselves because of Kurt for gods sake).No band sounded like AiC before them.

No way were Nirvana posers. Kurt was a whiny little fag IMO but that about it. I love AIC but I still think Ten is the best grunge album.

IMO Me Against the World and Makaveli kill All Eyez.

>

No way were Nirvana posers. Kurt was a whiny little fag IMO but that about it. I love AIC but I still think Ten is the best grunge album.

Ok, then. Kurt was whinny little fag. I agree with that. But saying AiC is a nostalgia flare of punk should be a crime.

Doggystyle was really the album of the 90's when it comes right down to it. Fuck Nevermind!

Agreed! If I was to put together a "best albums of the 90's" list Iwould have doggystyle, the chronic, all eyez on me, and rage against the machine a head of nevermind.

Doggystyle was really the album of the 90's when it comes right down to it. Fuck Nevermind!

Agreed! If I was to put together a "best albums of the 90's" list Iwould have doggystyle, the chronic, all eyez on me, and rage against the machine a head of nevermind.

I agree. I'd also add Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik to that list too.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Straight Outta Compton - NWA

What's My Name - Snoop

California Love - Tupac

Good Day - Cube

Insane in the Brain - Cypress Hill

Remedy - Black Crowes

You Could Be Mine - GNR

Give It Away - RHCP

Killing in the Name of - RATM

Midlife Crisis - Faith No More

could have easily dodged grunge.

What's My Name - Snoop

California Love - Tupac

Good Day - Cube

Remedy - Black Crowes

You Could Be Mine - GNR

Give It Away - RHCP

That's a good mix tape right there.

I put this track on many a mix tape.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Guest Len B'stard

*stands up and applauds*

Midlife crisis is one of my fav fnm tunes. That and everything's ruined are my fav off angel dust..

No love for Jizzlobber and Smaller and Smaller? Whats this world coming to?! Oh well, as long as no one's singing the praises of Crack Hitler :)

I agree. I'd also add Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik to that list too.

Every outkast album up to stankonia is awesome

Guest Len B'stard

the comparison is ridiculous, i mean grunge was like a momentary trend in time, hip hop was a lasting cultural revolution that, today has been uploaded into the mainstream and effects, well, just everything, media, the arts, the way people speak and dress internationally. All around the world people use phrases and terminology from the hip hop vernacular, the music is like, just all over, it's become the pop music of our times, even pop music itself, outside from the poppified hip hop has hip hop beats, it's just effected everything, there's no comparison between the two really.

Guest Len B'stard

Load of fuckin cack if you ask me, a load of snobby cunts and bandwagon jumpers tryna make a meal out of what bands like Sonic Youth and the Meat Puppets and Scratch Acid were up to, water it down, accentuate the more mainstream elements and hey presto, a movement, you can fuckin have it, a bunch of middle class kids in plaid and dour faced birds with leggings that don't put out, wow.

Load of fuckin cack if you ask me, a load of snobby cunts and bandwagon jumpers tryna make a meal out of what bands like Sonic Youth and the Meat Puppets and Scratch Acid were up to, water it down, accentuate the more mainstream elements and hey presto, a movement, you can fuckin have it, a bunch of middle class kids in plaid and dour faced birds with leggings that don't put out, wow.

I agree that the 90's hip hop scene has had more of a lasting impact, but don't just sell the grunge scene short. It has proven to be the last rock scene to be worth a damn. What have we had since? A bunch of shit. At least bands like pearl jam, soundgarden, alice in chains, and nirvana were making real, honest rock n roll albums. I'm proud to of witnessed both the grunge and hip hop scene first hand. Fuck it was the last time music was real and meant something. Not like the bullshit that's out today.

My biggest problem with the rap scene today is that its watered its self down so much that it became a joke of its self. Rap is dead imo. No more originality, no more real artisits talking about their real life. Honestly if 2pac was still alive he would call all the current rappers bitches. Their just not real, they are pretending to be something they are not in order to sell albums. Sure their is still talent, but the best rappers today wouldn't of sold shit in 1993. They wouldn't be able to stand up next to snoop, dre, 2pac and others in their primes.

Honestly I view the todays rap scene very much like the hair metal scene in 92 or 93. Its become a joke. Sure maybe their are a few good songs, but no real artists. But at least grunge came in and put that stuff to bed, who's gonna end all this bullshit rap? The music scene is pathetic in todays day and age.

What's My Name - Snoop

California Love - Tupac

Good Day - Cube

Remedy - Black Crowes

You Could Be Mine - GNR

Give It Away - RHCP

That's a good mix tape right there.

I put this track on many a mix tape.

What is it i cant see youtube. i think if i mixed them up burned off a copy id have album of the century.

Guest Len B'stard

I agree that the 90's hip hop scene has had more of a lasting impact, but don't just sell the grunge scene short. It has proven to be the last rock scene to be worth a damn. What have we had since? A bunch of shit. At least bands like pearl jam, soundgarden, alice in chains, and nirvana were making real, honest rock n roll albums. I'm proud to of witnessed both the grunge and hip hop scene first hand. Fuck it was the last time music was real and meant something. Not like the bullshit that's out today.

My biggest problem with the rap scene today is that its watered its self down so much that it became a joke of its self. Rap is dead imo. No more originality, no more real artisits talking about their real life. Honestly if 2pac was still alive he would call all the current rappers bitches. Their just not real, they are pretending to be something they are not in order to sell albums. Sure their is still talent, but the best rappers today wouldn't of sold shit in 1993. They wouldn't be able to stand up next to snoop, dre, 2pac and others in their primes.

Honestly I view the todays rap scene very much like the hair metal scene in 92 or 93. Its become a joke. Sure maybe their are a few good songs, but no real artists. But at least grunge came in and put that stuff to bed, who's gonna end all this bullshit rap? The music scene is pathetic in todays day and age.

I agree with you about grunge being the closest to something worthwhile in rock movementwise but thats cuz rock has needed putting out of its misery since the 80s and we've been clinging onto the vaguest of variations and trying to pass it off as a new sub-genre when it ain't worthy of it.

And i agree about rap BUT raps saving grace, what will keep it going for ages is the competition aspect and the MCing aspect cuz someones gotta be the better man and MCs skills are getting better and better and that part of it will keep it going forever.

Rock has this panty-waist thing of subjectivity where in my opinion its this and in yours its that and we agree to disagree but hip hop is about whoose the illest and something like that keeps it alive and competitive, like a sport and based on that alone it'll be fresh and exciting forever.

Also, its highly capitalist where rock is embarassed by and feels the need to apologise for riches whereas rap flaunts it, rap is evolving, the pinnacle of rock is howard hughes type ending, the pinnacle of rap is basically becoming like, entrepreneurs and captains of industry, rap is pre-ordained for growth and acutely grounded in the realities of our world, rock was that for a hot minute and then not.

I just think its sad when sumone like lil Wayne is considered to be the best rapper, by a mainstream stand point. If tupac and biggie hadn't been killed, I have this feeling that it would make it hard for ppl to accept the artists that came after as real hip hop artists..

Edited by drtydane

When you saw Bulls and Raiders being represented in different countries, hip hop was no longer a fad that some people thought and hoped was going to go away. When you think about what was on the radio in the late 80s - Milli Vanilli, New Kids on the Block, and what they were playing on Headbangers Ball, Yo MTV Raps, and 120 Minutes, the tide change was coming and coming fast. I would've added country into the mix, because it was this genre with a huge following but "shitkicker music" hadn't made its way into the urban jungle yet. I'm not sure if I'd credit people watching Farm Aid The Eagles, or Garth Brooks...

Guest Len B'stard

I agree with you to a point but, yeah, Grunge was good for rock and some OK bands came out of it but the only reason that was was that rock had basically been needing putting out of its misery since the mid 80s and we were SOO desperate for something, anything out of that fuckin' genre that we find ourselves clinging to each and every little slight variation or regional trend to fashion something resembling a movement or a sub-genre out of this thing when really there ain't/weren't shit there.

I don't agree however that rap is dead, although i do see where you're coming from but see rap will live forever for one simple reason and that is that rap is based on competition, it's about whoose better, see rock got old and subjective and the competition out of it died and everybody became a hippie insofar as no one cares about better or worse in rock, they care about my opinions mine and yours is yours and lets leave it at that and that is a breeding ground for mediocrity. There's no competitiveness in it. People are against that shit because they think its contrary to the notion of it being an art and it detracts from that but i think it keeps that shit alive and exciting and vibrant and hip hop is based on competition, someone has to be the better man and for that to happen the art of MCing has to evolve and you have to get newer and sicker MCs and it's evolving and getting bigger and better and that aspect will keep rap alive forever.

People want music to be an art, i don't, i want it to be a sport, for it's own good if nothing else, i hate this agree to disagree mentality because it just breeds this fuckin' flatline culture where you accept everything cuz hey, someone somewhere likes it or it wouldn't be there, right? Especially in terms of youth culture, you need to disrespect each others space a little to keep it alive and vibrant, mods vs rockers, punks vs hippies etc, punk blew music wide open and made it exciting and that competitiveness was part of it, essential to it even.

And thats why rap will last, because the premise of it, from day one, and to this day, is competition. And for that the MCs hafta get better and better and better and the idea of the MC is based on his or her ability to make an audience go 'WOW' and if they don't go wow they ain't into your shit and if they ain't into your shit they won't buy the records.

Also, rap conceptually fits our society in that it's fiercely capitalist. Rock is embarassed by riches and feels the need to apologise for them whereas rap exalts riches and chases them. The end-game for your 'true' rocker is some kind of howard hughes set up, alone in the ivory tower masturbating in tears at the thought of it's own inherent corruptness, the end game or goal or pinnacle of rap is getting right in there with the enemy, 'the man', the powers that be, it's basically enterprenurialism, captains of industry, thats the direction it's heading in when you've got all these guys like 50 Cent for example with their fingers in all these different pies.

Also, rap is kinda right wing, as much as it's supporters wanna cling onto certain post-civil rights leftist notions, it simply isn't and that is more pallettable on a broader scale than the sensibilities of rock which, to a point, are kinda left wing, at least with the 'cool' bands/artists it is.

And it's for those reasons that i think rap will remain fresher for longer and will evolve more and grow into something beyond what rock did and so it should cuz hey, you should be better than the last guy or else whats the point?

You don't have to sell me on "power" that rap had and to a degree still does. I agree, especially about the right wing/left wing stuff.

Let me say this, the art form is in the hands of lesser kings at the moment. And someday someone is going to come out and be awesome again. I just don't see him right now. I am proud to say I witnessed the ground floors of rap being made. And like all "pioneers" their influence should be held in the highest honer. But that doesn't mean their isn't room for more seats at the table, if you know what I mean?

Don't get me wrong, as long as eminem, jayz, dr dre, ice cube, outkast, and snoop (whatever he's calling himself these days) out there making music and finding talent then theirs still lots of hope.

Honestly I blame puff daddy for the beginning of the decline. Imo he was the first pretender that made it to the top. Not biggie, he's a legend for sure. Puff daddy rode his coat tails like a motherfucker.

Just to throw this out there, bone thugs n harmony were fucking awesome!

Edited by Mike420