Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart thread

Does anyone here watch the Colbert Report and The Daily Show? I think these two shows keep Comedy Central alive.

I used to think The Daily Show was better but now I am seeing mysef watch Colbert Report more and more.

Who needs South Park?

Funny - I feel the exact opposite. Used to love Colbert much more than Jon Stewart, and now those roles have flipped. I still watch both, but I just think Jon Stewart has been more entertaining the last couple years. I do love when Colbert goes all Tolkien-geek though.

Definitely the flagship shows for Comedy Central though. South Park is stale and...what else do they even show on there nowadays besides stand up?

yeah South Park has been pretty bad the last few seasons

Both shows are great, I find myself liking Colbert's style a little more, his satire is a bit more subtle and he doesn't take himself as seriously as Stewart. But the Daily Show is definitely more funny, mainly because of their correspondents, Samantha Bee makes that show

i like them both but i prefer colbert. his shtick has surprisingly not grown tiresome (i really thought the whole faux-republican thing would hinder his ability to touch on certain issues in earnest) and i think he's much better at keeping a straight face compared to jon stewart, whose shtick sort of involves cracking up a lot at his own material. i'm actually not a huge fan of stewart but i still enjoy daily show.

Both are o.k. but for political satire no one can touch Bill Mahr...........

I'm a big fan of Bill Maher but the missus fucking hates him so I can't watch it without a running commentary over how much of a cunt she thinks he is. :lol:

I'm a big fan of Bill Maher but the missus fucking hates him so I can't watch it without a running commentary over how much of a cunt she thinks he is. :lol:

She's right.

Guest Len B'stard

I like Bill Maher, i dunno who he is but he did some TV show that i saw Johnny Rotten on twice and Slash too and he seemed like a funny, straight talkin' sort of fella. After that i saw this documentary called Religulous and i thought, OK, yeah, i like him, top lad :)

I like Bill Maher, i dunno who he is but he did some TV show that i saw Johnny Rotten on twice and Slash too and he seemed like a funny, straight talkin' sort of fella. After that i saw this documentary called Religulous and i thought, OK, yeah, i like him, top lad :)

Politically Incorrect it was called and he got taken off the air for saying that the 9/11 hijackers weren't cowards. Totally taken out of context but he was crucified for it at the time.

Guest Len B'stard

I imagine it'd take a fair bit of bottle to fly a plane into a building. Honour? No, human decency and respect for life? No, valid moral point of any kind of soul at all, no but bottle? Plenty.

She's right.

The only people who don't like Bill Mahr are Republicans as he exposes what a trainwreck that party has become every week on his show.

Back on topic I like the fact the Colbert and Stewart are mixing in political satire in their shows.

I don't see how anyone could prefer Jon Stewart. In addition to being funnier and having a show with better segments and writing, Colbert is naturally a great performer.

Also, am I the only one who can't hear what Jon Stewart saying half the time?

She's right.

The only people who don't like Bill Mahr are Republicans as he exposes what a trainwreck that party has become every week on his show.

Yeah, she's definitely not a Republican she just thinks he's a smug sack of shit. :lol:

She's right.

Yeah, she's definitely not a Republican she just thinks he's a smug sack of shit. :lol:

Yeah but he is a funny smug sack of shit...........

Edited by classicrawker

She's right.

Oh I agree completely. The better half, not so much. :lol:

Back on topic I like the fact the Colbert and Stewart are mixing in political satire in their shows.

I'm the opposite of a Republican, truly, but even when I agree with what that dick is saying, I hate listening to him because he's such a dick about it.

Yeah, that.

This is not the best comparison, I'll admit, but in the area of smugness and arrogance, Bill Maher is like the liberal version of Glenn Beck. But Glenn Beck's talk is batshit crazy, so in that regard they're nothing alike.

She's right.

Hence why I (a Republican) think he's hilarious. He doesn't rip on just Reps, he rips on people who are full of shit or acting stupid. That juwt happens to give a prominent Republican presence in his material. He's bashed liberals before though, sporadically.
  • Like 1

This is why I've become more of a fan of Colbert than Stewart:

"Jesus was the original hipster. After all, he was into Christianity way before it went mainstream. I don't know how I didn't see this sooner, folks. An unemployed 33-year-old who home-brews his own water into wine and thinks he's God's gift to humanity? That's like every other guy in Brooklyn." -- Stephen Colbert

I just find Colbert far more clever than Stewart. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching both - and Stewart gets far bigger guests - but I laugh far more frequently and harder when I watch Colbert. And really, isn't that what the primary aim of these shows are? If you're tuning in to "learn," then I hope it's only to subsidize what you've already come across.

As Colbert summarized in a recent interview, what he does is reconstruct the news, whereas Stewart deconstructs the news. Two very different animals, but I believe that in reconstructing the news Colbert has greater freedom and license to poke fun of politics and current events. Stewart is great when his material is great, but his show doesn't often create its own material.

Of course, to each their own.

Edited by downzy

• 1 year later...

Just secured two tickets for my girlfriend and I to see The Daily Show on September 16th. Pretty pumped. Hoping to get Colbert Tickets as well for the same week. Anyone ever been to either of these shows in person? I heard they're a lot of fun.