Making of videos- why no DVDs?

Carburetta

What can be the reason for there being no DVD format release of these videos? Just lazyness? Have they been forgotten about? We got the live ones and Welcome to the videos.

IMO these are essential items for Guns fans, I could do with them as my videos are close to being warn out, not to mention I don't have a device to play them on any more.

C'mon Geffen, release this sh1t!

Edited by Carburetta

The videos were re-released by Geffen without band involvement. Prob. why Tokyo came out as 2 separate DVDs - Laziness.

That's what I mean. While the logical thing with the "Making Of" videos would be to put them all on one disc or single release, couldn't they release each one individually like the Tokyo DVDs were?

GNR doesn't want to finance past members.

That's what happens when you quit....you get fuck all.

None of the members who appear on those videos need the release of anything from the 90s for monetary purposes. They're all millionaire (aside from Clarke maybe?).

So Gn'R and the DVD release and specially Axl Rose can kiss my ass.

The videos were re-released by Geffen without band involvement. Prob. why Tokyo came out as 2 separate DVDs - Laziness.

That's what I mean. While the logical thing with the "Making Of" videos would be to put them all on one disc or single release, couldn't they release each one individually like the Tokyo DVDs were?

There is actually no reason why the DVD's are not out.

Even Cliff Em All was released on DVD.

Geffen/Interscope either forced Axl, Slash and Duff's hand with prior old band new releases (Live Era, Welcome to the Videos) or, as in the case of Greatest Hits, went against Axl, Slash and Duff's wishes. All releases were set in the context of Axl's persistant failure to deliver-up Chinese Democracy. Welcome to the Videos was actually agreed upon by Axl to stall the label from releasing Greatest Hits (and, create a bit more time for Chinese).

Now, there is no album being worked upon so nothing to fight over. Label-band relations seem to have stalled and, unlike 1998-08, the label doesn't seem particuarly concerned about having a band signed who do not release anything. And the move to release the Making ofs will certainly not come from Axl, nor Slash or Duff. Also, if this Vegas DVD comes out I shouldn't expect another old band new release for about three years (I know a Greatest Hits 2 was a serious proposition at one stage).

Edited by DieselDaisy

Plans for a Greatest Hits 2 were quite far advanced:

"As far as 'Chinese Democracy' itself goes, it appears that Guns N' Roses have been set yet another November deadline by Universal, not in a threatening tone though. Basically, if Chinese Democracy is not released, then a Greatest Hits II package will be put together and pushed out next March. Jim Urie, President of Universal Distribution, has said that the situation regarding to the two albums 'should be clarified in a couple of weeks'." (Splat, 11/07/05)

"Brendan Morris, a tape researcher at Universal credited on the first Guns N'Roses Greatest Hits album, has confirmed to Splat that Universal are looking to put together a second Guns N'Roses Greatest Hits package." (Splat, 10/28/05)

"[slash and I] discuss the two versions of Guns N' Roses Greatest Hits Vol II. One is done by Axel's management. Slash says the track listing is good but the politics from Axel's management leave a lot to be desired. The other is done by Universal. Slash tells me he hasn't approved either, so who knows what'll come out." (Ross Halfin, 11/19/05)

Although the track list has yet to be announced, Geffen has set a Dec. 20 release date for the double-disc set 'Welcome to the Jungle - The Very Best of Guns N' Roses.'" (Billboard, 11/17/05)

"According to Kjell Petter Askersrud, head of Universal in Norway, the new GN'R Greatest Hits album will be released in March 2006." (Splat, 10/27/05)

'Welcome to the Jungle - The Very Best of Guns N' Roses' seems to suggest merely another hits album which would presumably rejuggle the majority of the tracks released on Greatest Hits, i.e. not an album which thematically follows Greatest Hits.

It was dropped from the roster, presumably because of another Chinese Democracy promise from Axl.

Those "making ofs" were more to help cover costs of the expensive videos, so Izzy's complaints about it costing them tons of money was kind of ridiculous. They found a way to get their money back spent on those videos.

Damn. They were pushing for GHII in 2006? Wasn't GH released in 2004?

"Best of" is different than GH. I can't believe GH sold as well as it did - especially in the last couple of years!

So that justifies releasing it two years after GH?