Are crowds losing energy at large (stadium, arena, amphitheater) shows?

DirtyDeeds

I wonder if over the last 3 or 4 years, the average age of the fans of bands I like has gotten old enough that they just want to sit and chill and spectate at a show instead of adding to the energy. Most folks used to stand up, move around with the music in as much as possible in a small space, sing along, clap, whatever. Now they mostly just sit still there with their $11 Bud Lite and just inactively watch, perhaps complaining at anyone in front of them who is standing up. Maybe they will stand for the first and last tune if anything.

Anyone else noticing this? Frankly it has been the main contributing factor to my disappointment in most of the shows I've seen in the last couple years. I can't blame people for getting old and being less able-bodied, but I don't know if this is truly the cause or if there is something else going on.

Sitting at a concert just feels wrong to me. But if I'm the only one standing, I'm constantly being aware of the fact that I'm the one standing out, looking stupid, and people behind me might start to complain.

Edited by DirtyDeeds

In my experience it depends on the market and the show itself. I've had some pretty tame experiences in Toronto. Unless you're on the floor, I expect to spend a great deal of the show sitting. There's been exceptions (like AC/DC) but generally speaking it follows the routine of stand for the biggest hits and sit for everything else.

I agree though - it does affect my overall enjoyment of the show. Atmosphere is a big deal to me.

In my experience, it used to be all over the venue that there was energy.

You're right, it's still there up front. But REAAALLLY up front, only. Like first three rows up front. Like $400 VIP package up front. But what's up with all the rest of the people?

It really depends on the band playing. When I saw Loaded support BSC, there were only a small group of us standing at the front going crazy for Loaded. I was like, wtf, it's your chance to see a member of a truly legendary band live, and you won't even enjoy yourself?! But then BSC came on, and the change in the pit was so dramatic, it got to the point where people were punching each other for no reason! It was by far the most dangerous show I've been to, (and this is from someone who got kicked in the face by crowd surfers three times at Download!)

It was Newcastle though.

It really depends on the band playing. When I saw Loaded support BSC, there were only a small group of us standing at the front going crazy for Loaded. I was like, wtf, it's your chance to see a member of a truly legendary band live, and you won't even enjoy yourself?! But then BSC came on, and the change in the pit was so dramatic, it got to the point where people were punching each other for no reason! It was by far the most dangerous show I've been to, (and this is from someone who got kicked in the face by crowd surfers three times at Download!)

It was Newcastle though.

What was the size of the venue? I think it has a bit to do with it.

It was Newcastle though.

What was the size of the venue? I think it has a bit to do with it.

Hmm...probably about 600-800ish?

High ticket prices might have something to do with it, just a guess. Of course, I haven't been to a concert since Van Halen in 2008. Tickets were high(as far as I'm concerned) but everybody stood up the whole show. I sat down during the drum solo, I love Alex but if you've seen one drum solo, you've seen them all.

People tend to be a lot more lame with seated tickets. I understand people don't have too much of a choice when it's around an arena or something, but I think Floor should always be GA for shows. Not only does it give people a fair chance to get the spot they really want and not just stupid ticketmaster luck, but people tend to get a lot more into shows then. I hate seated tickets.

if you've seen one drum solo, you've seen them all.

Godsmack. That's all I'm gonna say about that.

On topic, it depends on the band/venue/audience. Big arena shows or ampitheatre shows, in my experience, are relatively boring if you're not up front. When I see someone at a show on their facebook, I feel it's okay to slap them.

When I see someone at a show on their facebook, I feel it's okay to slap them.

Yeah, that's the worst! I can't I understand it, and the screen glow is very distracting.

About 3-4 years ago I was at a show at an ampitheatre in Seattle, nice summer day, cool atmosphere all around. The woman in front of us (we were sitting just behind the pit, 2nd or 3rd row, they were good seats) spent the whole fucking show on her phone (facebook and texting). There was a group of 4 women beside us who were up and dancing the whole time, having fun, and tried to get her husband to stand up and enjoy himself, and she grabs him and pulls him back down :lol: I don't understand some people....

As untrendy as this sounds, I am a sitter and always have been. I like a nice seat to enjoy a beer and I do not like sweaty metalheads bumping into me.

The main reason why I sit at shows is that I am incredibly lazy. I will do anything to avoid standing for 2-3 hours.

Don't know why anyone bothers going to concerts in the U.S.

Seated tickets? Fuck off

Inflated Prices? Fuck off

Short gigs? Fuck off

Shitty beer? Fuck off

Nazi security? Fuck off

Self-entitled fat cunts everywhere? Fuck off

I'd rather piss on an electric fence.

Look at crowds in the 60s. They never moved!! Look at Woodstock, Monterey, Altamont (sans the people getting stabbed by Hell's Angels!). Beyond a few acid victims, the crowd largely just sit down and watch the show. Their only physical activity is clapping between numbers. I do not feel 1960s crowds enjoyed shows any less than modern crowds who stand, headbang, dance and move around. I refuse to conform and feel the need to, move around like an idiot at rock concerts. Beyond lazyness though I think there is also an element of being, too English haha - you know, far to self-conscious?

Guest Len B'stard

Thing is if you go to gigs lookin' to get pissed up and jump up and down and generally lose your mind people don't want that no more so it just fuckin' dissapates the energy of crowds, people lookin to have fun at gigs these days have got to watch out for the five foot bird in the front row out on her first fuckin' gig, you always see a bunch of em at every gig, face like lemons, like they just entered hedes or something and it's like, look, what the fuck are you even doin' here?

Yea, crowds fucking suck in the US. It's like no one is really there for the band, they're there for the social aspect of it, like somehow people are gonna think more highly of them because they're seeing so-and-so. Even on the barrier for Maiden all last Summer, it was completely lame compared to 2 years earlier. I like to be a hot sweaty mess at the end of a Maiden gig, and not just because it was 100 degrees.

Fuck, I can't wait for a dose of European gigs this Summer.

Slightly off topic as it was not a music event but can I just add that the worst security I have ever faced at an event were at St James' Park, Newcastle? Horrible fuckin Nazi security and cops. You get anal raped at the door by a seven foot skinhead man/ape and have to empty your pockets in this little bag. Everyone ends up walking around with their wallets and keys in these little gay little plastic bags. You are not allowed beer on the terraces - you are not even allowed to stand inside looking out on the pitch with a beer in your possession. It was Japan versus Spain and I can just imagine these little Japanese fellows being searched by these big geordie bruisers!

Can someone tell me if security is like this at all top flight (i.e. premiership, internationals) football games?

I do not think I will go to a football game - certainly not at St James' - again after that experience. Shame as St James has been selected as a Rugby WC host and I wouldn't have minded going. I hope they do not do that to 'civilised Rugby' supporters, surely?

I will stick to Cricket and Chester le Street where everybody just gets beered up and the staff are not so bad.

Guest Len B'stard

Ain't at The Emirates man.

Cricket, fuck me there's a sport i ain't watched in a while. Ahhh Waseem Akram, Waqar Younis, Saeed Anwar, Inzamam Ul Haq, Amir Sohail, that was a fuckin' cricket team, the in-swinging yorker, takin' em out!

It is just the Toon then. I can understand this if it was Newcastle versus Sunderland but I can not envision too many riots and drunkeness between rival groups of Japanese and Spanish supporters somehow? Sake v Sangria wars! Slightly off topic again but I was reading reviews of this Chinese restaurant I go to and apparently people with black and white shirts have to pay upfront.