Is "Dad Rock" anything more than a derogatory term coined by dipshits to slag artists that are now considered classic rock?

Randy Lahey

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Len B'stard

If it was it's pretty fuckin' accurate. Honestly, it's unsettling to the stomach to see young kids listening to a bunch of retired old granddads prance around the place in their fuckin' rent-a-rockstar kits trying to not to put their hips out for £500 a ticket.

I have never cared for the term, I mean I kind of get it but labeling music based on that just seems like they are trying too hard to shit on bands because they are old and not "unknown" enough or whatever

At least the term "classic rock" doesn't have a biased angle to it other than time passed.

To answer, yes. But I also think it is a term associated with a certain brand of denim-clad classic rock from the 1970s. Status Quo are the primary culprits but also Deep Purple, Lizzy, Free, Bad Company. You wouldn't see the term applied to The Beatles or even The Stones so much.

If it was it's pretty fuckin' accurate. Honestly, it's unsettling to the stomach to see young kids listening to a bunch of retired old granddads prance around the place in their fuckin' rent-a-rockstar kits trying to not to put their hips out for £500 a ticket.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Careful dude, I know a lot of parents who grew up on the Pistols, Ramones and The Clash. :lol:

I went to a Slash show with a good friend last year, he took his 15 year old son.

My friend was into hardcore BIG time, huge GnR fan, grew up on Pistols and shit.

To quote his 15 yr old kid at the show: It fuckin bugs me to say it, but my Dad's actually cool. :tongue2:

'Dad Rock' isn't as much a comment on the actual music as it is about the stage where a kid stops liking what his dad did just so he can like his own music or whatever's the hot new trend all his friends are listening to. I've seen it over and over with friends where the son loves whatever music his dad is listening to from about age 7-10. Then all the sudden the kid starts hating that music and goes to what's the latest hot thing(pretty much anything but rock these days). But then when that kid gets to age 20 or older they rediscover how good some of the old bands were and totally dig it again. They're old enough to not worry about being cool in terms of what they really want to listen to. So it's a cyclical thing for a lot of males.

Kind of a teen right of passage to hate on whatever your dad is into...which is cool and healthy. :lol:

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Classic does not mean dad rock.

Dire Straits, Bad Company, The Eagles - dad rock

Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath - not dad rock

Exactly. The Beatles and a lot of the so called "greats" aren't gonna be seen as daggy. It's the stuff that was listened to by people with no discernable music taste that becomes dad rock. See Linkin Park, 2000's U2 and the Foo Fighters in 20 years time.

'Dad Rock' isn't as much a comment on the actual music as it is about the stage where a kid stops liking what his dad did just so he can like his own music or whatever's the hot new trend all his friends are listening to. I've seen it over and over with friends where the son loves whatever music his dad is listening to from about age 7-10. Then all the sudden the kid starts hating that music and goes to what's the latest hot thing(pretty much anything but rock these days). But then when that kid gets to age 20 or older they rediscover how good some of the old bands were and totally dig it again. They're old enough to not worry about being cool in terms of what they really want to listen to. So it's a cyclical thing for a lot of males.

Kind of a teen right of passage to hate on whatever your dad is into...which is cool and healthy. :lol:

It was never about that for me. I always listened to what I wanted to listen to. I didn't listen to the Rolling Stones because my parents liked them or listen to NWA because my parents hated rap music.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Isn't "Dad Rock" a term to refer to "classic rock" that has not really been embraced by younger generations but still maintains a strong following amongst older crowds?

As others in this thread have pointed out, I've never heard it applied to the Stones, Zeppelin, Queen, Pink Floyd, etc. To me it seems to be applied more to stuff like Bob Seger, post Back In Black AC/DC, Three Dog Night, etc.

Sympathy For the Devil and Jumping Jack Flash are Dad Rock and Tumbling Dice and Beast of Burden are non-Dad Rock? Sounds pretty dipshit to me.

Non-70s Stones is definitely dadrock.

Ever heard of an exception?

The exception being that if it is something you like than it is not Dad Rock?

Edited by Randy Lahey

Sympathy For the Devil and Jumping Jack Flash are Dad Rock and Tumbling Dice and Beast of Burden are non-Dad Rock? Sounds pretty dipshit to me.

Non-70s Stones is definitely dadrock.

Ever heard of an exception?
The exception being that if it is something you like than it is not Dad Rock?
Well it does all boil down to opinion. It's not like dad rock is an objective term with an objective definition.

What I'm getting at is that Beggar's Banquet is a part of the "good Stones" era, the first album in it to be precise. There are a few other decent things they released in their tenure outside of that 4-5 album span, but most of it is unmemorable trash.

Well it does all boil down to opinion. It's not like dad rock is an objective term with an objective definition.

What I'm getting at is that Beggar's Banquet is a part of the "good Stones" era, the first album in it to be precise. There are a few other decent things they released in their tenure outside of that 4-5 album span, but most of it is unmemorable trash.

Yeah, Goats Head Soup, It's Only Rock and Roll, Black and Blue, Some Girls and Tattoo You mostly contain "unmemorable trash."