Is "Dad Rock" anything more than a derogatory term coined by dipshits to slag artists that are now considered classic rock?

Randy Lahey

Well it does all boil down to opinion. It's not like dad rock is an objective term with an objective definition.

What I'm getting at is that Beggar's Banquet is a part of the "good Stones" era, the first album in it to be precise. There are a few other decent things they released in their tenure outside of that 4-5 album span, but most of it is unmemorable trash.

Yeah, Goats Head Soup, It's Only Rock and Roll, Black and Blue, Some Girls and Tattoo You mostly contain "unmemorable trash."
Correct.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it does all boil down to opinion. It's not like dad rock is an objective term with an objective definition.

What I'm getting at is that Beggar's Banquet is a part of the "good Stones" era, the first album in it to be precise. There are a few other decent things they released in their tenure outside of that 4-5 album span, but most of it is unmemorable trash.

Yeah, Goats Head Soup, It's Only Rock and Roll, Black and Blue, Some Girls and Tattoo You mostly contain "unmemorable trash."
Correct.

So, Goats Head Soup, It's Only Rock and Roll, Black and Blue, Some Girls and Tattoo You are what the dipshits refer to as "Dad Rock?"

Edited by Randy Lahey

To me, the epitome of dad rock is Steely Dan, Bachman Turner Overdrive, and Doobie Brothers. Doobie Brothers I can stand, but I want all Steely Dan recordings to die a fiery death.

You forgot Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits and Status Quo.

Hey, do not bring Goats Head Soup into this.

People that have it as their avatar should be banned.

Correct.
So, Goats Head Soup, It's Only Rock and Roll, Black and Blue, Some Girls and Tattoo You are what the dipshits refer to as "Dad Rock?"
You really think you're getting to me with that dipshit thing, don't you? :lol:

As far as I can see Dad Rock would just refer to the Stones in general, if someone was using it. I doubt they'd cherry pick certain albums and say that album isn't Dad Rock. Unless there's somekind of on drugs/off drugs criteria. Like Definitely Maybe - Be Here Now - Not Dad Rock, then everything after...

As far as I can see Dad Rock would just refer to the Stones in general, if someone was using it. I doubt they'd cherry pick certain albums and say that album isn't Dad Rock. Unless there's somekind of on drugs/off drugs criteria. Like Definitely Maybe - Be Here Now - Not Dad Rock, then everything after...

Everything after Be Here Now is Step Dad Rock.

Edited by Randy Lahey

Dire Straits is awful. Knopfler is a great guitarist but a sleeping pill. Does the Police count as a dad rock band? I simply think they're boring and I've barely heard any rock fans actually rate them (for the record, I think Stewart Copeland is one hell of a drummer)

Everything after Be Here Now is Step Dad Rock.

Eminem's new song is called Soccer Mom Rap.

Sympathy For the Devil and Jumping Jack Flash are Dad Rock and Tumbling Dice and Beast of Burden are non-Dad Rock? Sounds pretty dipshit to me.

Non-70s Stones is definitely dadrock.

Ever heard of an exception?

The exception being that if it is something you like than it is not Dad Rock?

Yeah pretty much this......you hit the nail on the head, if they like it then it is not Dad rock to them...LOL excluding the Beatles and Stones.........biggest Dad rock bands on the planet.....

Edited by classicrawker

Dire Straits is too cool to be dad rock. I refuse to let it be characterized as such! :lol:

Dire Straits are more like Religious Cousin Rock.

Not saying they're a religious band or anything, but...

You get dragged to the Aunt and Uncle's place for the once a year family visit.

They are uber religious (and boring) and you sit there with the cousins who are not cool in any way, have no cool toys or anything fun to play with, or do.

They have a tire swing in the yard.

(imo of course) :tongue2:

Dire Straits is too cool to be dad rock. I refuse to let it be characterized as such! :lol:

You like Dire Straights but hate Steely Dan?...pretty much the same shit really.....and I like both bands......

I've heard this before but I really don't see it. Granted, I've only heard very litle Steely Dan (just two albums once) and only because I've seen this comparison done. Steely Dan sounded more like a jazz fusion band to me. Dire Straits is low key rock'n'roll at first that later morphs into Pink Floyd style prog rock.

You like Dire Straights but hate Steely Dan?...pretty much the same shit really.....and I like both bands......

I've heard this before but I really don't see it. Granted, I've only heard very litle Steely Dan (just two albums once) and only because I've seen this comparison done. Steely Dan sounded more like a jazz fusion band to me. Dire Straits is low key rock'n'roll at first that later morphs into Pink Floyd style prog rock.

Not the same in the literal sense but both make easy listening music IMHO.....Steely Dan's early albums were closer to Dire then the later albums like Aja...

Check out the SD Can't Buy a Thrill..........

I am a big SD fan but also like DS......

Guest Len B'stard

My Dad fuckin hated all music anyway, don't think the guys ever bought an album or a single in his life, barely even had a tape player in my house growing up.

I suppose hated is a strong word he just never had no regard for it i guess.