Is "Dad Rock" anything more than a derogatory term coined by dipshits to slag artists that are now considered classic rock?

Randy Lahey

Guest Len B'stard

I don't see the big deal in listening to music from multiple eras. It's best to expose yourself to as many different forms of music as possible.

I'm not saying it isn't, the term asked if Dad Rock is accurate and i said it is because it's fuckin' old and stale and boring, which i think it is now. It weren't when i discovered it but the fact is the only people discovering it for the first time now and they're welcome to it, listen, listen away, shit even i listen to it still, old music i mean, it makes up the majority of what i listen to but thats only cuz there ain't jackshit around and based on that, as time goes by i feel the shit getting more and more remote to me really, it's as simple as getting bored of the same thing over and over and over and over and over, maybe i'm getting old or something although i've alweays felt like this.

Also, it's worth noting that, y'know, it weren't some record company monster or anti-aging cream promotion company that popularised this term, it's people and people using it, more specifically YOUNG people using it...does that not tell you a little something about these new generations whoose minds you wanna blow WIDE open by exposing them to the sounds of psychedelic 60s? :lol: Namely, that they don't give a fuck and they're the ones wearing the term out :lol:

I do think it's an accurate term and i think it'll serve a healthy function if it engenders an appropriate level of disrespect in people for what came before to the point of creating something for themselves so that maybe 40 years from now they can have a Led Zeppelin to bore this kids with too.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

70s was the peak of rock, 80s the peak of pop, 90s the peak of hip hop. Any questions? Now drop and give me twenty.

The 2000's belong to Apple.

00s was kind of when videogames became the new rock n roll. Music died and Apple became the graveyard of popular music.

A kid now doesn't need new music just an ipod and access to the web to get great music made in the 70s. Or pop from 80s. or hip from from the 90s.

70s was the peak of rock, 80s the peak of pop, 90s the peak of hip hop. Any questions? Now drop and give me twenty.

The 2000's belong to Apple.

00s was kind of when videogames became the new rock n roll. Music died and Apple became the graveyard of popular music.

A kid now doesn't need new music just an ipod and access to the web to get great music made in the 70s. Or pop from 80s. or hip from from the 90s.

Pretty much.

Look at the Call of Duty sales.

Analysts expects Call of Duty to sell five million units on the first day and up to eight million units in the first week. That would beat last year's blockbuster Grand Theft Auto IV.

Edited by wasted

The fact is that music fans kill music for themselves and make it all REALLY uninviting to anyone on the outside because it's just this fuckin' nazi thing of you gotta like this, this and this or else your opinion don't count and you're being a 'hipster' or whatever the fuck.

Nazi? lolno

Hipsters are the fucking plague these days

Btw i don't really like Beatles, overrated band

Guest Len B'stard

It's strikes me as slightly ridiculous that the premise of this thread is bemoaning the fact that older music is maligned by those that would slap a derogatory label on it in an attempt to devalue it on some level and the way that people see fit to do that is to just turn on the younger generation and slap a derogatory label on them.

Edited by sugaraylen

There should be a new tv show called "Hunt and Kill Hipsters". Throw 3 hipsters into a maze then 8 Zepp fans hunt them down crossbows to a sound track of Dad rock and Dubstep. Maybe that was the plot of Terminator Salvation.

Edited by wasted

Guest Len B'stard

Y'know what, i get called a hipster a lot on this forum so i think they should stick me on that show and i'll bet you to your last penny that i'll be lining up Zep fans and shaggin' em one after the other :lol: In fact, take 8 Zep fans off this forum and me and just one mate of mine of my choosing and watch if we didn't make every last one of fuckin' weep :lol:

Since we're getting immature about this lets do it properly :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

And a streak of piss doused drawers across the world at the terrifying thought of all the Zeppelin hardnuts around the world congregating to bash up hipsters :lol: Tell me, whoose the head of the herd gonna be, flabby tits Miser? :lol:

Why i bet firms around the world, from your Triads to your KGB to your Mafia are all runnin' around in a tizzy in their secret hideouts at the very thought of it, help help, the viynl nerds are a-comin' :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

I dont think your a hipster. You dont appropriate alternative culture in an ironic soulless way?

maybe in the old sense of hipster.

Anyway you claim to be a hipster may you be smashed or marginally disrupted by nerds armed with records.

I would say Blur are prototype hipsters. But then Williamsburg hipsters are extremely self conscious. Its about rejecting everything to the point where ur wearing a bin bag and string vest listening to Celine Dion on a 80s casio tape player.

I would say Blur are prototype hipsters. But then Williamsburg hipsters are extremely self conscious. Its about rejecting everything to the point where ur wearing a bin bag and string vest listening to Celine Dion on a 80s casio tape player.

I couldn't decide if Lena Dunham's "Girls"was for hipsters to watch or poking fun at them. Maybe both, but they're definitely a presence on her show.

Governors Ball should be interesting,

Guest Len B'stard

Another thing that occurs to me is that a lot of what is called Dad Rock nowadays are bands that wilfully aligned themselves with youth culture in their day and railed against the adults of their time so their fans don't really have a leg to stand on with that whole ageist accusation because they set that fuckin' standard, they are the ones that set themselves up for that particular fall. When you grow old, having made your bones on kicking against the oldies of your times then you're gonna get whats fuckin' due to ya when you get old, thats just simple.

And y'know, you can be a credible artist without purposely like, aiming for or saying you are for kids, look at Link Wray, he's from way back in the day, so were a lot of artists and they didn't suffer from such labelling when they aged.

Hipster doesn't even mean anything anymore.

hooray for tolerance!s be thinking that MGMT is hipster :lol:

The only people who call others 'hipsters' are fucking geezers like Randy clinging to the glory days.

YEEEAAAHH THEY'LL PASS YOU BY GLORY DAYS GLORY DAAAAAAAAYYYYYSSAS

I just hate the term because it's so fucking selective. It doesn't even cover a whole generation of artists. It only covers the ones that the user doesn't like. Someone like Bruce Springsteen is still widely liked among the indie/alternative scene. He appears at Indie festivals fairly frequently with bands like The Killers and The Gaslight Anthem obviously drawing influence from him. The Beatles are obviously still widely loved among large groups of younger people. A website like Pitchfork which I'm sure has used the term dad rock to a large extent is still giving albums like Exile on Main St. a perfect score.

And then there are bands that are in the middle. Some would consider them "dad rock" while others wouldn't. Where does a band like Steely Dan land? They have several albums that are just musically fantastic, and I've met young music fanatics that love them, but I'm sure some dismiss them as dad rock.

I don't even like most of the bands that this term hits anymore. AC/DC, Aerosmith, Foreigner, Van Halen, Journey, whatever. I don't listen to them. But I still hate the term. It's too selective, like I said. Relies way too much on individual tastes. It's a stupid "insult" that really doesn't mean anything other than "this is old and I don't like it." It seems almost inherently self-important. And it's ageism, which I hate. I hate ageism both ways. I hate the "you wouldn't understand, you're not old enough" tone that a lot of older people express to younger people. And I hate the "lol this is old and uncool lol" tone that younger people express about older things - it's so fucking kiddy. Get the fuck over yourself.

If it was it's pretty fuckin' accurate. Honestly, it's unsettling to the stomach to see young kids listening to a bunch of retired old granddads prance around the place in their fuckin' rent-a-rockstar kits trying to not to put their hips out for £500 a ticket.

I can kind of relate to the term, but I think it's idiotic all the same.

Like people have said, almost everything will be Dad rock at some point. When you are a kid, your parents are probably the ones who introduce you to music. So you get into some of what they like, and it's inevitably stuff that came out 10-20 years ago. And eventually you branch off into things that you like. A lot of the stuff I was introduced to, and even some of the things I branched off into liking on my own, I've kind of lost the passion for. I think it's simply on account of the fact that I have listened to these songs for years. Eventually they become old. It sucks, because there was magic there at one point for me and I'd like there to always be magic, but it's hard to get as excited about a song on the five thousandth listen as it was on the 1st and 2nd listen. So the songs you once loved eventually become a little old and stale. You know they are good tunes but because they are worn out it becomes Dad rock. The lustre is gone, the songs are kind of lame now, so let's call this stuff Dad rock.

It's no doubt used as a derogatory term - so this might be why some bands escape the label. It's hard to criticise bands that are undoubtedly cool and will always be held in the highest regard.

But it is dumb. So what if a bunch of young kids want to listen to a bunch of retired granddads? You shouldn't like music just because your friends do or because it's the "in" thing. You should like music because it connects with you. And if little 10 year old Johnny gets off on Dire Straits then that's what he should listen to. It ain't a choice to like a song, right? You either like it or you don't, and how easy listening it is or when the song was made has nothing to do with the price of tea in China.

And the truth is that dad rock > kid rock* most of the time.

*(not the artist)

It's more a case of what you were saying in the first paragraph, of getting tired of a particular thing, it's not a measure of disrespect to the music itself or the quality therein, it's a measure of disrespect to the notion that those things should be propagated as the holy grail to the exclusion of other things. To which i guess the answer is 'show us your fuckin' other things' and if you ain't got none then there ain't no fuckin' conversation i guess.

But it's got nothing to do with necessarily copying your friends and everything to do with realising how a thing is out of date. I'm sorry if people are having a hard time with that concept but it's just true and you can call it being like your mates and copying society or whatever if you like but i'm sorry, i'm not gonna go out there, however much i might wanna after watching something on TV, wearing something like someone out of King Henry the 8ths times cuz it just ain't that fuckin' day anymore :lol:

If i was copying my friends i wouldn't be into music at all, new sounds or otherwise.

Yeah, but what you just said in your first paragraph conflicts a little bit with what you said in the second.

Getting tired of a song happens after you hear it dozens of times. But just because a song is out of date doesn't mean you are tired of it. In the year 2050, some kid is going to hear a song from the '80s but it's going to be new to him. He won't be tired of it until maybe the year 2055.

So everything is new to everyone at some point. I can't be tired of Mozart and Chopin because I barely know that music. So it should sound fresh to me if I start to listen to it, that is unless what is happening is an entire type of sound becomes old to us collectively on account of what we are hearing in popular culture today. Almost by osmosis.

Once again though, to me it simply comes down to the individual. If a song speaks to you then you will listen to it. It doesn't matter how old or new it is. If it sounds new and fresh and exciting to you, when it was actually penned is pretty irrelevant.

I just hate the term because it's so fucking selective. It doesn't even cover a whole generation of artists. It only covers the ones that the user doesn't like. Someone like Bruce Springsteen is still widely liked among the indie/alternative scene. He appears at Indie festivals fairly frequently with bands like The Killers and The Gaslight Anthem obviously drawing influence from him. The Beatles are obviously still widely loved among large groups of younger people. A website like Pitchfork which I'm sure has used the term dad rock to a large extent is still giving albums like Exile on Main St. a perfect score.

And then there are bands that are in the middle. Some would consider them "dad rock" while others wouldn't. Where does a band like Steely Dan land? They have several albums that are just musically fantastic, and I've met young music fanatics that love them, but I'm sure some dismiss them as dad rock.

I don't even like most of the bands that this term hits anymore. AC/DC, Aerosmith, Foreigner, Van Halen, Journey, whatever. I don't listen to them. But I still hate the term. It's too selective, like I said. Relies way too much on individual tastes. It's a stupid "insult" that really doesn't mean anything other than "this is old and I don't like it." It seems almost inherently self-important. And it's ageism, which I hate. I hate ageism both ways. I hate the "you wouldn't understand, you're not old enough" tone that a lot of older people express to younger people. And I hate the "lol this is old and uncool lol" tone that younger people express about older things - it's so fucking kiddy. Get the fuck over yourself.

completely agree with this, well said.