Could Buckethead or Finck be raising objections to works by them being released by GN'R in the future?

machinegunner

They disassociated themselves from the band...

Do you think that they might find it embarrassing if some of their works are released years later by Guns N' Roses?

Yes, they might earn more money from it than anything else they do, but they might not think it serves them as artists...

do you really think Axl will even want to release stuff with bucket and finck on the tracks?

I know he will, cause he said it's going to be the same players. At least partially, I don't think he won't use material he considers to be great just because the people responsible for it are no longer in the band.

Just like Bucket's contributions were felt on Chinese.

Edited by Rovim

Strongly doubt it in Bucket's case. If Bucket had no objections to CD being released with his work, why would that change for the next album? He'd probably make more money off the royalties for a GNR album than he does from all of his other projects combined.

As for Finck, isn't he in good standing with Axl? They did a performance together in 2011. Not to mention he has nothing really going on at the moment.

It is apt in regards to songwriting. If Buckethead or Finck have songwriting credits they could potentially block the future release of those songs. It is up to them or their publication company to grant a license.

Strongly doubt it in Bucket's case. If Bucket had no objections to CD being released with his work, why would that change for the next album? He'd probably make more money off the royalties for a GNR album than he does from all of his other projects combined.

As for Finck, isn't he in good standing with Axl? They did a performance together in 2011. Not to mention he has nothing really going on at the moment.

You've pretty much nailed this.

Seems pretty certain that Axl had them sign contracts allowing him to use any of the work they came up with during the course of their GnR recording sessions. Plus as Bacardi mentioned it would make no sense for them to block the release even if they could, from a financial perspective.

I don't recall Finck ever doing that. He performed on stage with Axl in 2011.

Whether they raised objections or not, it's extremely unlikely there would be anything they could do to prevent Axl using the recordings from their sessions.

Well quitting speaks for itself...

Doesn't matter. It's not up to them cause I don't really believe Axl would have created music with them without them signing contracts which will grant him the right to use whatever they wrote together, regardless if they left the band or not.

Well quitting speaks for itself...

Doesn't matter. It's not up to them cause I don't really believe Axl would have created music with them without them signing contracts which will grant him the right to use whatever they wrote together, regardless if they left the band or not.

In other words, Axl would have been granted the licensing on certain songs in advance of their release - an undetermined release. Plausible.

^ We don't know anything about those contracts. They could have had a time limit on them for example.

Yeah, We don't know anything about those contracts, but we do know a lot about Axl Rose. And I'm sure that from legal ponit of view, there will be no matter.

They might not BE ABLE to stop their work being released, true.

But that is not really the point of the thread...

If BH's & RF's attitude is 'Ok, whatever, release it whenever you like...', cool! But it's also possible that it might NOT be. What if they have a hit song (say in a movie sountrack) with a BH solo in it that is SCOM-like EPIC. Do you think he would like the confusion over whether it was his solo or Ron's or Ashbas?!?! They couldn't even show GN'R playing it in a video FFS because that would add to the confusion. And GN'R doesn't need an identity crisis or anything...

Edited by machinegunner

If they have a problem, Axl will just get Dj or Ron to redo those parts?

Don't think that'll change much since it's all about who wrote it, not who plays it.

But I think everything written and recoreded when under contract of GNR is property of Axl and co and he can probably release it as he wants (within boundaries specified in a contract)

do you really think Axl will even want to release stuff with bucket and finck on the tracks?

I know he will, cause he said it's going to be the same players. At least partially, I don't think he won't use material he considers to be great just because the people responsible for it are no longer in the band.

Just like Bucket's contributions were felt on Chinese.

BH had only been out of the band a few years by the time Chinese was released. To include him now on an album in 2014 would be a whole other matter. He's been gone for a decade and it would look ridiculous.

Guest NGOG

Not to mention he has nothing really going on at the moment.

He recently played guitars on Gary Numan's new record and could join him touring later this year.

There is no legal mechanism for, simply insisting that everything BH/Finck comes up with during CD sessions 'remains the property of W. Axl Rose.' The song/idea has to be filed with publishment before such an agreement could operate.