Sweet Child O' Mine - Big Daddy

Dean

What are your views on this? I remember reading people saying how it was taken straight from Live Era, then it was the new line up coming in at the end. However, the vocals seem to be totally different to the Live Era version. It doesn't sound good, did they take the entire vocals from the re-recorded version and put effects on it? it's got horrible echo, but Axl sounds incredible at the end. Would a re-recorded version of Appetite have been poorly recieved back then? Do you think there were any concrete plans to release it, or do you think Axl was only interested in getting the band familiar with the tracks in preperation for future touring?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling Slash and Duff (and possibly even Steven or Izzy also) would have blocked an Appetite re-release as an attempt by Axl to deny them their mechanical royalties. They would have certainly been successful in this as they are collectively majority copyright holders of the Appetite material.

Edited by DieselDaisy

The reason why they made 1999 AFD is that they want to know how to work together, that's all, Axl'll never release it, and he doesn't need to. BTW Axl's voice doesn't sound good and Finck sucks at Old GNR songs' solos.

Edited by Black Roses

I honestly think this is awful and Axl really shot his foot by allowing this to be released on a soundtrack... awful way to start New GNR.

I love to once have the opportunity to ask Axl what was he thinking when he allowed this to be released.

Edited by AndreCC

haven't compared them in a while, but i was under the impression it was either the exact same vocal track as 'live era' or from the same sessions. it's the new band playing in the second half.

mind you, axl tried this a few times. ridley scott wanted 'welcome to the jungle' for Black Hawk Down and axl would only hand over the rights if they would play a re-recorded version of the song (the 1999 track, most likely). of course, the film producers said no, since the movie took place during the '90s and they wanted the song to help place the movie within historical context. hearing a re-recorded version would have just confused audiences. so axl lost that battle.

i think his comments about re-releasing 'appetite' were partly said just to annoy the ex-bandmembers. i'm not sure even he would have been quite delusional enough to attempt that. but i do think he had an interest in 'burying' the old lineup and this is confirmed by the rumour i read about how he wanted robin to re-write slash's solos during the 2002 tour.

The outro is way better than the original version.

Agreed---it's FINALLY back to the way Buckethead wrote it back in 86. I mean, the way Paul Tobias wrote it. Eh, whatever, either way, it's back to the way (insert new employee) wrote it back when (insert new employee) wasn't even in the band and hated GNR.