Bumblefoot's interview for RollingStone Magazine

Silent Jay

Bumblefoot Eager to Make New Guns N' Roses Music

'We have a great band that's ready to do it'

20130507-gnr-x600-1367947173.jpg

Guns N' Roses have a few select dates lined up, headlining at Rocklahoma on Memorial Day weekend and the Governors Ball fest in New York on June 8th. If guitarist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal has his way, those will be the last dates for a while so the band can concentrate on new material.

"There's a lot of stuff, it's just a question of all of us organizing. We're still doing shows, and I think once we clear our schedule and focus more on new music, it'll happen," he told Rolling Stone when we saw him at the Race to Erase MS benefit in Los Angeles last weekend. "We just have little things on the back burner, just waiting for the right time for us to organize and make something new out of it. Hopefully we can make more music – that's what it's about."

To Thal, however successful the band might be on the road at this point, they need to get back in the studio to make a follow-up to Chinese Democracy. "It's what the fans want, too. They want new music, and we can do it. It's not that we're done. I'm not ready for that," he said. "We need to keep making music. We have a great band that's ready to do it and can do it well."

Though a lot of bands write on the road these days, Thal has never mastered that skill. "I've tried every single tour for I don't know how many years. I bring a little rig with me to write. I just can't do it. I need to get home, refresh, recharge the batteries, and that's when it all starts to happen," he said.

"What I started doing in 2011 for my own music is a song a month – put up a song, put up guitar transcriptions with it, backing tracks, remixing stems, everything. And I did that throughout 2011," he said. "And it was a great way to just keep a constant simmer going rather than waiting to build up to a big boil, then shutting the flame off and going on the road and trying to do that again.

"I would love to do that with Guns. I don't think it's in the cards, I don't think it's what everybody wants to do. But me personally, if we could put out a song every time we're about to hit the road, that would be a great way to do it. It would add relevancy to each leg of the tour as well, having a fresh song that we're playing on that leg," he added.

He is optimistic that eventually there will be new music to play: "Let's keep our fingers crossed that life will not get in the way and we can get this last batch of shows done. Looking forward to it, but I'm also looking forward to having the main priority of our Guns time be making new music."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bumblefoot-eager-to-make-new-guns-n-roses-music-20130508#ixzz2SibxRZYl

Edited by Silent Jay

Bum-Blefoot is such a nice guy, he understands the fans and I'm sure he will leave Guns if they don't release anything and keep playing the old songs. I know he has integrity and a great sense of humor so he won't be part of this anymore if Axl doesn't do the right thing for the fans.

Guest bellastar2355

it's not a good sign when your 3rd guitarist is complaining about not releasing new music :(

Guest NGOG

Somebody described Bumblefoot as the 'third guitarist'? In terms of raw talent, he is by far the first guitarist. Sure Dj is the superifical 'face' of the post-2009 band, but Bumblefoot is the driving force with regards playing. And Axl knows that. Hence why Bumble can never be fired for his out of the ordinary (in the context of GNR anyway) comments.

Bumblefoot plays the Slash parts the best. Does a really good job on Buckethead's too. I've never liked DJ for saying that he plays the Slash stuff and Bumblefoot is the "shredmaster" who plays the Buckethead stuff. Bumble owns him on Slash.

Why is it so obvious to everybody that GnR needs to release music............except Axl and Beta?

I think they've (GNR) are finally back "in" with the US market. 2011 wasn't the right time to release a follow-up to CD. Hopefully we get something very soon...

Thank you Axl for being a predictable, boring musician nowadays. If you don't care about anything other than touring, I'd support a reunion or if you quit for good. If not, DO SOMETHING OTHER THAN SAYING "DEFINITE MAYBE" AND MOVE YOUR FAT ASS TO THE STUDIO.

Why is it so obvious to everybody that GnR needs to release music............except Axl and Beta?

I think they've (GNR) are finally back "in" with the US market. 2011 wasn't the right time to release a follow-up to CD. Hopefully we get something very soon...

Just out of curiosity - why do you say that?

What has changed in the US market between 2011, 2012 and 2013?

Haven't they been playing much smaller venues on their most recent US shows?

I guess I respectfully disagree with your assessment.

I think they needed to strike while the iron was still hot. The longer they wait, the less interest the rock public has with the GnR story.

If Axl had released music in 2000, 2003, 2006, 2009 and 2012, then I think GnR would be as big as any rock band out there today.

No album this year. Unlikely to get one next year either. They'll never record and release the same year.

2015 at the earliest.

That's of course if you think that they'll release another album.

I don't. Axl burnt his bridges once and for all between Azoff and the record company.

Just out of curiosity - why do you say that?

What has changed in the US market between 2011, 2012 and 2013?

Haven't they been playing much smaller venues on their most recent US shows?

I guess I respectfully disagree with your assessment.

I think they needed to strike while the iron was still hot. The longer they wait, the less interest the rock public has with the GnR story.

If Axl had released music in 2000, 2003, 2006, 2009 and 2012, then I think GnR would be as big as any rock band out there today.

A lot of rock bands have released albums over the last year. Rush, Areosmith, Shinedown, Van Halen, and soon Alice In Chains. All of those bands had singles from the album get a decent amount of airplay. It's a good idea for GnR to join them.