Bumblefoot's interview for RollingStone Magazine

Silent Jay

Why is it so obvious to everybody that GnR needs to release music............except Axl and Beta?

I think they've (GNR) are finally back "in" with the US market. 2011 wasn't the right time to release a follow-up to CD. Hopefully we get something very soon...

Just out of curiosity - why do you say that?

What has changed in the US market between 2011, 2012 and 2013?

Haven't they been playing much smaller venues on their most recent US shows?

I guess I respectfully disagree with your assessment.

I think they needed to strike while the iron was still hot. The longer they wait, the less interest the rock public has with the GnR story.

If Axl had released music in 2000, 2003, 2006, 2009 and 2012, then I think GnR would be as big as any rock band out there today.

A lot of rock bands have released albums over the last year. Rush, Areosmith, Shinedown, Van Halen, and soon Alice In Chains. All of those bands had singles from the album get a decent amount of airplay. It's a good idea for GnR to join them.

Exactly

DJ and Dizzy were in the studio making new music. I don't really understand why Bumblefoot can't do the same?

They make music for an another band...

What makes you think so? Why on earth would GNR have tweeted about it then? They don't tweet about any other solo projects either, do they? I'd say the most logical conclusion would be that they're working on GNR stuff. Then again GNR and logic don't always go hand in hand.

Talk to anyone at Uni. They will never release another Slash-less Guns N' Roses album while Axl is alive.

That's exactly the main problem here...no real commercial interest in financing a sequel to CD...

Oh he has the money certainly and we know that Axl is motivated by art, not money, so he should have no problem ploughing his own hard cash into the new album so we can hear those epic riffs from DJ Ashba.

Doesn't Axl have enough money to finance his own album?

A lot of artists try to avoid putting their own money into funding an album, but I think how it is now, it's unavoidable. But it's also a lot cheaper to spread the word via social media and make the late night talk show rounds, calling radio stations, pretty much the same way they do tour announcements.

I doubt he's talked to the record company since the end of 2008, discussions about the DVD prob. opened the door to future projects.

As far as the record company preventing any future release of GNR - that would have to be hashed out, and being that he has control over the back catalog, they're going to play ball. If he starts talking about AFD remasters, bonus songs, archive videos, you really think they're going to shut the door in his face? Just because he won't work with Slash in the studio, doesn't mean they couldn't work together on archive stuff and have Mike Clink producing it. Just because he wasn't the right producer for ChiDem doesn't mean Axl would never work with Mike again.

Hopefully they get one new song out there before the year's over, or an EP.

Guest bellastar2355

How will he buy a tiger if he's spending money on an album?!

A lot of artists try to avoid putting their own money into funding an album, but I think how it is now, it's unavoidable. But it's also a lot cheaper to spread the word via social media and make the late night talk show rounds, calling radio stations, pretty much the same way they do tour announcements.

I doubt he's talked to the record company since the end of 2008, discussions about the DVD prob. opened the door to future projects.

As far as the record company preventing any future release of GNR - that would have to be hashed out, and being that he has control over the back catalog, they're going to play ball. If he starts talking about AFD remasters, bonus songs, archive videos, you really think they're going to shut the door in his face? Just because he won't work with Slash in the studio, doesn't mean they couldn't work together on archive stuff and have Mike Clink producing it. Just because he wasn't the right producer for ChiDem doesn't mean Axl would never work with Mike again.

Deluxe Editions of old albums (w/ outtakes, live recordings, and instrumentals), yes. But remasters would be pointless and risky judging by the sonic disaster that was Greatest Hits.

BBF makes an excellent point though.

If Axl and Beta aren't interested in releasing music, especially with the large backlog of material in the "vault" that has bucket/robin's finger prints on it......why not throw the current band - and Axl's millions of fans - a bone and do what BBF suggested?

Release one or two songs created by the CURRENT band before each of the tours? That shows the current band a lot of respect. Those guys get a chance to show off their skills and make their mark on the GnR name. Fans are treated to NEW music. And by only releasing two songs a year, you aren't depleting their song writing skills.

Besides getting an actual new album, BBF's idea is the next best thing. It's a winning idea for the band, and for Axl's millions of fans. Everybody wins!!!!!!

You got this topic covered like a Jimmy hat Dalsh, right as usual. :thumbsup:

Why is it so obvious to everybody that GnR needs to release music............except Axl and Beta?

I think they've (GNR) are finally back "in" with the US market. 2011 wasn't the right time to release a follow-up to CD. Hopefully we get something very soon...

Just out of curiosity - why do you say that?

What has changed in the US market between 2011, 2012 and 2013?

Haven't they been playing much smaller venues on their most recent US shows?

I guess I respectfully disagree with your assessment.

I think they needed to strike while the iron was still hot. The longer they wait, the less interest the rock public has with the GnR story.

If Axl had released music in 2000, 2003, 2006, 2009 and 2012, then I think GnR would be as big as any rock band out there today.

They got amazing reviews from the UCAP and Vegas shows. The 2011 us arena shows not so much.

Meh, he overestimates the demand for nugnr music. You can tell he's the member if the band most attuned to the world of forum fans though. He seems to address forum fans' concerns. But I don't think the average ticket buyer gives two shits about a new new song being added to the set list. I think even axl realizes that now. For the paycheck's sake, I hope bbf can get over his pride

Deluxe Editions of old albums (w/ outtakes, live recordings, and instrumentals), yes. But remasters would be pointless and risky judging by the sonic disaster that was Greatest Hits.

There was zero band involvement with the greatest hits, and it also ties into Axl, Slash, and Duff wanting digital downloads to sound better. It's a question to ask each of them if they think the digital downloads need a new remaster out there, and I think they'd all say yes.

Bumblefoot Eager to Make New Guns N' Roses Music

'We have a great band that's ready to do it'

20130507-gnr-x600-1367947173.jpg

Guns N' Roses have a few select dates lined up, headlining at Rocklahoma on Memorial Day weekend and the Governors Ball fest in New York on June 8th. If guitarist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal has his way, those will be the last dates for a while so the band can concentrate on new material.

"There's a lot of stuff, it's just a question of all of us organizing. We're still doing shows, and I think once we clear our schedule and focus more on new music, it'll happen," he told Rolling Stone when we saw him at the Race to Erase MS benefit in Los Angeles last weekend. "We just have little things on the back burner, just waiting for the right time for us to organize and make something new out of it. Hopefully we can make more music – that's what it's about."

To Thal, however successful the band might be on the road at this point, they need to get back in the studio to make a follow-up to Chinese Democracy. "It's what the fans want, too. They want new music, and we can do it. It's not that we're done. I'm not ready for that," he said. "We need to keep making music. We have a great band that's ready to do it and can do it well."

Though a lot of bands write on the road these days, Thal has never mastered that skill. "I've tried every single tour for I don't know how many years. I bring a little rig with me to write. I just can't do it. I need to get home, refresh, recharge the batteries, and that's when it all starts to happen," he said.

"What I started doing in 2011 for my own music is a song a month – put up a song, put up guitar transcriptions with it, backing tracks, remixing stems, everything. And I did that throughout 2011," he said. "And it was a great way to just keep a constant simmer going rather than waiting to build up to a big boil, then shutting the flame off and going on the road and trying to do that again.

"I would love to do that with Guns. I don't think it's in the cards, I don't think it's what everybody wants to do. But me personally, if we could put out a song every time we're about to hit the road, that would be a great way to do it. It would add relevancy to each leg of the tour as well, having a fresh song that we're playing on that leg," he added.

He is optimistic that eventually there will be new music to play: "Let's keep our fingers crossed that life will not get in the way and we can get this last batch of shows done. Looking forward to it, but I'm also looking forward to having the main priority of our Guns time be making new music."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bumblefoot-eager-to-make-new-guns-n-roses-music-20130508#ixzz2SibxRZYl

After months/years of having to hear from every Axlbots mouth that new music is right around the corner and on the verge of coming out, here you have it...

ITS NOT EVEN ON THE CARDS.

And yes, BBF just called their tours irrelevant LOLLLLLL - "It would add relevancy to each leg of the tour as well, having a fresh song that we're playing"

:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

BBF makes an excellent point though.

If Axl and Beta aren't interested in releasing music, especially with the large backlog of material in the "vault" that has bucket/robin's finger prints on it......why not throw the current band - and Axl's millions of fans - a bone and do what BBF suggested?

Release one or two songs created by the CURRENT band before each of the tours? That shows the current band a lot of respect. Those guys get a chance to show off their skills and make their mark on the GnR name. Fans are treated to NEW music. And by only releasing two songs a year, you aren't depleting their song writing skills.

Besides getting an actual new album, BBF's idea is the next best thing. It's a winning idea for the band, and for Axl's millions of fans. Everybody wins!!!!!!

It's up to Axl to get them together in a rehearsal space. They prob. have worked on songs in rehearsals but the boss needs to be the one getting them together. As soon as Axl goes "what do you have" to them, they're going to have hundreds of ideas, on top of what they've already worked on.

We're getting conflicting answers from the band members as far as new music goes. Axl's the only one who can talk about it and he's given his answers - it's not a high priority, and he's not going to put a date down that will bite him in the ass later.

If he said now "me and Caram have been moving stuff around on Pro Tools", it doesn't sound exciting or interesting.

I just think he's going to have it ready to be released, and not half-ass it. I also don't think Interscope's going to be enthusiastic about promoting anything new by them, but he has social media on his side and 7 other voices to help promote it. Maybe he'll be back in the forums discussing it.

I would just wait to see if they decide to put something out when the DVD comes out. That would be the best time to put a new song out. Or we'll wind up hearing something on a TV show.. Sons of Anarchy? 2 more seasons, DJ was just on the show, high ratings, great place to debut a new GNR song.