Axl didn't spend "14 million dollars" with Chinese Democracy AND it's follow up.

ManetsBR

Simple math.

Axl spent 14 million dollars between 1997 and 2007 to record a lot of songs. The number of songs and of albums vary a lot from the quotes. Tom Zutaut once mentioned 70 demos, and Tommy Stinson once said that they worked on 35 songs out of a fucking bunch, and Axl said on the 2006 Eddie Trunk interview that Chinese Democracy was a trilogy, and Bach even said once that it was a four album project! But let's level it down and use Axl's quote in which he mentions the smaller amount: double album and it's 32 songs.

Well, he spent then, 14 million dollars to record, re-record, mix and master 32 songs. That gives us 437,500 dollars by song.

On 2008, he sold to Best Buy the right to release 14 of those songs for the same amount of money - 14 million dollars - that he spent to record 32 songs. That was an amazing deal, and sometimes I think that Axl's waiting for another deal from heaven like this one to release Chinese Democracy II. I'm afraid it will hardly ever happen.

Anyway, he sold the 14 songs for 1 million each, but they only costed 437,500 dollars, thus he sold'em with a profit of 562,500 dollars.

Well, at this point you already got it. He sold 14 songs for the price of 32+.

Edited by ManetsBR

Yes, Axl talked about funding the album himself when the record company cut him off.

Plus, don't you remember what Merck said when he was fired? According to him, the 2006 tour happened cause they needed additional money to finish Chinese.

Simple math.

Axl spent 14 million dollars between 1997 and 2007 to record a lot of songs. The number of songs and of albums vary a lot from the quotes. Tom Zutaut once mentioned 70 demos, and Tommy Stinson once said that they worked on 35 songs out of a fucking bunch, and Axl said on the 2006 Eddie Trunk interview that Chinese Democracy was a trilogy, and Bach even said once that it was a four album project! But let's level it down and use Axl's quote in which he mentions the smaller amount: double album and it's 32 songs.

Well, he spent then, 14 million dollars to record, re-record, mix and master 32 songs. That gives us 437,500 dollars by song.

On 2008, he sold to Best Buy the right to release 14 of those songs for the same amount of money - 14 million dollars - that he spent to record 32 songs. That was an amazing deal, and sometimes I think that Axl's waiting for another deal from heaven like this one to release Chinese Democracy II. I'm afraid it will hardly ever happen.

Anyway, he sold the 14 songs for 1 million each, but they only costed 437,500 dollars, thus he sold'em with a profit of 562,500 dollars.

What did you do the books or something?

Guest Gunns

I think the general gist of what Manets is saying is right. Axl probably isn't wanting to sit down, write and record with the new band for 1 of 2 reasons.

first is: he already has a plethora amount of (previous) bucket material to choose from and its most likely already slated for the next album, and possibly a third (so why waste time and money trying to create something great with the new band, when its already been 5 years since CD was released and time is ticking by whilst they've never appeared in the studio all as one band. Axl would rather do the easier option and release what is already created)

second is: the record company isn't giving him any additional funding for studio costs and all the other costs associated with having 8 members or part thereof, sitting together coming up with new song ideas.

too much effort for no guaranteed final product that could be of comparable quality to the Bucket era. Axl would most likely prefer to focus on something that is already tangible and release that then spend his own money and not to mention time, attempting to create something great with the new.

Edited by Gunns

I think the general gist of what Manets is saying is right. Axl probably isn't wanting to sit down, write and record with the new band for 1 of 2 reasons.

first is: he already has a plethora amount of (previous) bucket material to choose from and its most likely already slated for the next album, and possibly a third (so why waste time and money trying to create something great with the new band, when its already been 5 years since CD was released and time is ticking by whilst they've never appeared in the studio all as one band. Axl would rather do the easier option and release what is already created)

second is: the record company isn't giving him any additional funding for studio costs and all the other costs associated with having 8 members or part thereof, sitting together coming up with new song ideas.

too much effort for no guaranteed final product that could be of comparable quality to the Bucket era. Axl would most likely prefer to focus on something that is already tangible and release that then spend his own money and not to mention time, attempting to create something great with the new.

100% agreed.

Will CD 2 be more Over the Top than CD or will it be AFD for the 21st Century.

I always imagined it being just as epic as Chinese was, only with a genuine fucked up thirst for going all the way with your fucked up self.

Kinda like the Joker from the dark knight if he wasn't evil.

Edited by Rovim

I see it as being darker and more unhinged. Maybe heavier epics.

Probably the same interesting song structures from Chinese, with the strings and shit, plus the intense feel of Riad and Oh My God.

The General intro sounds promising.

In January 2004, Geffen/Interscope withdrew funding for Chinese Democracy.

Your OP is interesting but you are missing one important point: economic wastage. You are assuming that all the money went into making the record and not, going down the toilet. Have a read of this:

"'One of the things that Interscope wanted me to do was have a look at the budget,' [Zutaut] says, 'and try to figure out where all this money was going. So you know, it took me about a month.'" (Tom Zutaut, Classic Rock, 04/08)

"One internal cost analysis [by Zutaut, no doubt] from the period pegs the operation's monthly tab at a staggering $244,000. It included more than $50,000 in studio time at the Village, a more modern studio where Mr. Baker had moved the band.
[...] [Zutaut's calculations] included a combined payroll for seven band members that exceeded $62,000, with the star players earning roughly $11,000 each. Guitar technicians earned about $6,000 per month, while the album's main engineer was paid $14,000 per month and a recording software engineer was paid $25,000 a month, the document stated." (New York Times, 03/06/05)" (New York Times, 03/06/05)
"One area where there was an astronomical amount of money being spent was in rented gear. [...] My recollection is that we were able to shave around $75,000 a month off the budget..." (Tom Zutaut, Classic Rock, 04/08)
With $50,000 on studio time, $62,000 for the band members, $14,000 for main engineer Caram Costanzo, $25,000 for Pro Tools engineer Eric Caudieux, and $18,000 for three guitar technicians, the total costs amount to $169,000. Add in $75,000 for unnecessary gear rental and you'll end up with the numbers Zutaut found.

"The crew rented one piece of specialized equipment, for example, for more than two years - at a cost well into six figures - and used it for perhaps 30 days, according to one person involved with the production." (New York Times, 03/06/05)
"It's a bit of a luxury to have a '59 Les Paul at however many thousands dollar a month when it isn't even being used. Maybe one day three years ago they needed this piece of gear, but now the track it was used on isn't even being considered, the gear is still sitting there and the rental company is still making the money. We'd paid enough in rental for it that we could have bought it!'" (Tom Zutaut, Classic Rock, 04/08)

Probably the same interesting song structures from Chinese, with the strings and shit, plus the intense feel of Riad and Oh My God.

CD is GNRs Achtung Baby. CD II will be like Zooropa.

That checkmate clip was kinda going for a controlled anger vibe. I just hope there's a song there that has the mean energy of the Better bridge...just that for the whole song.

A little bit of Shackler's in every song.

As for the ballads, I think Axl got that covered.

Edited by Rovim

What we've heard is there's a Sabbath type song (Soul monster), Nov Rain meets Glam Rock (Atlas Shrugged), The General is the heaviest most metal thing Axl has ever done. Zutaut thought Atlas should have been the first single. Jackie Chan is Checkmate? sounds like a great opening.

That's without the Fortus tracks.

Simple math.

Assuming he ever puts out what is recorded........if not, it's $14mil for a flop

Blood In The Water is GnR's Lemon.

hmm, I see.

Well, I edited the OP. He spent some money, nowhere near the 14 million, though.

Okay

But an album (or albums) doesn't worth 14 or plus millions....

It's not worth it...

It's just music, for fuck's sake...

Overpriced and overproduced...

Apparently, Axl and DJ are working on material together right now. Have there been any Axl sightings in Vegas over the past few days?

Where'd you hear this?

bullshit, don't pay him attention

Edited by Crash Diet