Ashba or Adler....who would you rather be?

Birk

One life to live!  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adler may be a broke drug addict, but adler lived the dream, Ashba is chasing a dream that will never happen EVER

You...do realize that "chasing the dream", the journey itself, is 90% of the happiness ?

Ask anybody who ever accomplished anything worth accomplishing what they did when they reached their goal : they found themselves another dream to chase because working at it is what made them happy to begin with.

Some of you guys must be leading very sad lives : "I'd rather have a seizure than look like Dj", seriously wtf...?

Some of you guys must be leading very sad lives : "I'd rather have a seizure than look like Dj", seriously wtf...?

I also find it funny how focused some here are on "legacy". You can never enjoy your legacy, only your life; and if a good legacy is more worth to you than a good life then you have to be quite....unthinking. But I guess they don't really mean this nonsense anyway, it is just something they write, they are just okay with coming across as a bit stupid if it grants them another venue for expressing their distaste with Dj. Well, such intellectual capitulation entertains me, at least.

steven is a legend. he makes me think of mickey rourke in The Wrestler....... :heart:

i have much more respect for steven than for an ugly little businessman like cashba.

It's hard not to think of Steven as a legend when you consider all the great music he has written and how great an influential drummer he is. Just imagine, what would AFD have been without Steven? Nothing but the exact same album with slightly different drums.

You just have to respect his stellar musical career, accomplishments and renown as a drummer and his capable and professional personality.

steven is a legend. he makes me think of mickey rourke in The Wrestler....... :heart:

i have much more respect for steven than for an ugly little businessman like cashba.

It's hard not to think of Steven as a legend when you consider all the great music he has written and how great an influential drummer he is. Just imagine, what would AFD have been without Steven? Nothing but the exact same album with slightly different drums.

You just have to respect his stellar musical career, accomplishments and renown as a drummer and his capable and professional personality.

fail.

your irony doesn't work because steven really played an important role in the gnr sound. izzy said it, without steven it all started to fall apart. steven was important, like it or not.

fail.

your irony doesn't work because steven really played an important role in the gnr sound. izzy said it, without steven it all started to fall apart. steven was important, like it or not.

I would go even further and claim that if Steven had botched his life up a little bit earlier so that he wasn't able to record AFD (just as with UYI), then the band would have fallen apart because surely they would not have been able to find another decent drummer in the whole of Hollywood able to play some simple drum patterns. And even if they were able to find another decent drummer, which of course they wouldn't, AFD surely would have failed commercially because the drumming is what really makes people love those songs, not the melodies, the vocals, the lyrics, Slash's solos, but the amazing drumming!

Seriously, I like his drumming on AFD, I just don't think he was irreplaceable at all or that another drummer wouldn't be able to create equally good, albeit different, drumming.

What I believe Izzy meant was that when Steven was thrown out of the band because he was a fucking loser, the band started to fall apart. Not because that essential drum sound was gone, but because it signalized the end of that band of brothers. From that point on, the internal dynamics of the band changed and animosities started to grow and become a big problem. But why just care about Izzy's opinions, other band members also said things about Steven. Tracii referred to his as having "great hair", Duff commented on his "infectious, almost childlike enthusiasm" and how he and Izzy had to "make a drummer out of him" by trimming the set to create a simpler sound that would enable Duff and Steven to come up with their pocket and groove. But Steven said it best himself: "You know, all I want in life is to make enough money one day so I can have a bag of good weed and a big ball of crack around - all the time". You almost made it, Steven!

So being "a legend" is more important than being happy...

I guess some of you would rather be GG Allin than a happy entrepreneur. :rofl-lol:

Unlike the "happy entrepreneur", GG Allin will be remembered.

You don't seem to get that there is something deeply despicable about that Ashba guy.... If you don't see it, it means you have no discernment, or that you are as despicable as the "happy entrepreneur".

Unlike the "happy entrepreneur", GG Allin will be remembered.

You don't seem to get that there is something deeply despicable about that Ashba guy.... If you don't see it, it means you have no discernment, or that you are as despicable as the "happy entrepreneur".

The "happy entrepreneur" was just that, a happy entrepreneur, not a reference to Dj Ashba in particular so if you find happy entrepreneurs despicable in general, well...

I'm not the biggest Ashba fan and yes, he can be annoying at times, but I have a lot more respect for people who chase their dreams than for those who wallow in self-destruction or in feeling sorry for themselves.

And yeah, GG Alin will be forever remembered. Nowadays, "fans" regularly make a detour to take a piss on his grave...

What a legacy to leave !

Edited by The Glow Inc.

fail.

I would go even further and claim that if Steven had botched his life up a little bit earlier so that he wasn't able to record AFD (just as with UYI), then the band would have fallen apart because surely they would not have been able to find another decent drummer in the whole of Hollywood able to play some simple drum patterns. And even if they were able to find another decent drummer, which of course they wouldn't, AFD surely would have failed commercially because the drumming is what really makes people love those songs, not the melodies, the vocals, the lyrics, Slash's solos, but the amazing drumming!

I guess you didn't hear the huge difference it made to the songs when Matt joined? Or when Brain joined? Mr. Brownstone is like three different songs with these drummers...

The drumming on appetite is probably not the first thing people think of when listening to it, just like Izzy's guitarplaying, but it really doesn't mean you could replace them and it wouldn't make a significant difference.

A guitarists solo is just as unique as a drummers drumfill. You can get another guitarist or drummer to play the same thing, but there's still a huge difference.

The "oh cause they would not be able to find another drummer in the whole world right????" point you're trying to make is just retarded.

Edited by Jeez

Soul Monster, Adler's drumming is one of the reasons why Appetite is great. I am very picky on drummers. I do not like big technical bone-crushers (Bonham, Sorum). I like 'groove' drummers like Watts. That is what Adler provided.

As for comments by Izzy Stradlin:

"Yeah, a big musical difference. The first time I realized what Steve did for the band was when he broke his hand in Michigan. Tried to punch through a wall and busted his hand. So we had Fred Coury come in from Cinderella for the Houston show. Fred played technically good and steady, but the songs sounded just awful. They were written with Steve playing the drums and his sense of swing was the push and pull that give the songs their feel. When that was gone, it was just...unbelievable, weird. Nothing worked. I would have preferred to continue with Steve, but we'd had two years off and we couldn't wait any longer. It just didn't work for Slash to be telling Steve to straighten out. He wasn't ready to clean up."

- Izzy, http://www.chopaway.com/viewtopic.php?id=555

Edited by DieselDaisy

fail.

I guess you didn't hear the huge difference it made to the songs when Matt joined? Or when Brain joined? Mr. Brownstone is like three different songs with these drummers...

Huh? Nowhere did I write Steven doesn't have his own peculiar drumming style.

The drumming on appetite is probably not the first thing people think of when listening to it, just like Izzy's guitarplaying, but it really doesn't mean you could replace them and it wouldn't make a significant difference.

That is EXACTLY what it would mean :). Only to us GN'R nerds does the rhythm guitar or the drumming play much importance. To most casual fans, these are trivial details and not at all significant.

A guitarists solo is just as unique as a drummers drumfill. You can get another guitarist or drummer to play the same thing, but there's still a huge difference.

Sure, they are equally unique, but just not equally important to most people's valuation of GN'R songs. Slash's solos or Axl's vocal melodies just mean more than Steven's drumming. It is that simple.

The "oh cause they would not be able to find another drummer in the whole world right????" point you're trying to make is just retarded.

That is hopefully because it was sarcasm trying to point out that if Steven had been fired before AFD it might not have mattered one iota in regards to GN'R's success.

Soul Monster, Adler's drumming is one of the reasons why Appetite is great. I am very picky on drummers. I do not like big technical bone-crushers (Bonham, Sorum). I like 'groove' drummers like Watts. That is what Adler provided.

I prefer Steven's groovy playing style, too, but it is still a very minor reason for MOST PEOPLE as to why AFD was great. I am not belittling your reasons for liking the record, that's a personal preference thing, but this discussion is (now) on Steven being a legend and my point is that he really shouldn't be because to most people his drumming is simply not the reason why they like AFD. He is simply put insignificant. He just played the drums decent enough but that's as far as his contributions to AFD went. His artistic legacy is mainly built by the other band members who actually wrote the music and performed parts that are dear to music lovers all over the world, including Slash's solos and Axl's vocals. Yet people here, probably because the revere AFD as something close to holiness, raise Steven into legend status by pure association with the record even though he could have been replaced by numerous other groovy drummers without it affecting the popularity of the record much in any way.

Edited by SoulMonster

I really don't think Adler would of been replaceable he brought the groove to the songs his impact isn't insignificant

In terms of AFD's reception, I believe Steven's contribution was really, really insignificant. AFD would have been a great success with any other decent drummer, too, because it is not the drumming people love, it is the quality of the songs, the vocals, the guitars, first and foremost. Hence, it is insignificant.

Edited by SoulMonster

Two clowns. One a founding member of one of the best rock and roll bands of all time, played drums of the best hard rock album of all time, the other is a member of two bands: a cover band and an emo band and thinks he's on his way to rule the world. Still DJ. Steven is the dumbest motherfucker that has ever lived, I feel sorry for him, really. Damn.

lol founding member

I obviously meant the new members, didn't think I'd actually have to point that one out.

So you are talking about "any NEW member of NuGNR"? Who would that be, Dj?

This becomes highly subjective, but in my opinion Buckethead, Robin and Chris has made larger contributions to GN'R than Steven.

Edited by SoulMonster

I obviously meant the new members, didn't think I'd actually have to point that one out.

So you are talking about "any NEW member of NuGNR"? Who would that be, Dj?

This becomes highly subjective, but in my opinion Buckethead, Robin and Chris has made larger contributions to GN'R than Steven.

Yep.