If you could ask Axl one single question he just had to answer honestly...

TombRaider

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer, no. One album in twenty years is a joke and since that album's release, he has turned into a cheesy greatest hits vegas act.

I wasn't aware productivity had anything to do with being "artistic". Out of the 25-30 song setlists they have been touring in recent years, how many songs would have to be from a recent release for him to be "artistic" enough for you? Are you one of those guys angry with GN'R for playing their greatest hits on the shows? You would prefer only songs off Chinese Democracy?

To answer, no. One album in twenty years is a joke and since that album's release, he has turned into a cheesy greatest hits vegas act.

I wasn't aware productivity had anything to do with being "artistic". Out of the 25-30 song setlists they have been touring in recent years, how many songs would have to be from a recent release for him to be "artistic" enough for you? Are you one of those guys angry with GN'R for playing their greatest hits on the shows? You would prefer only songs off Chinese Democracy?

Productivity does have much to do with being artistic.

At the end of the day, Axl has played the same setlist for four years! That is not artistic. That is not interesting. That is not musically challanging. To answer your question, yesI I prefer Democracy material over old but a more important question to ask should be, why no variation? Why not vary the Democracy tracks more and play Oh My God occasionally? Why not switch Estranged for Locomotive or Coma occasionally? Why not be so bold to drop KOHD and LALD for a change (who would miss those two? Not me for certain). Look at The Stones, playing The Last Time for the first time since the mid '60s. The Stones, 70 somethings, are far more innovative with setlists than Axl. Heck, even Kiss are more innovative with setlists these days haha!

At the end of the day, Axl has played the same setlist for four years! That is not artistic. That is not interesting. That is not musically challanging. To answer your question, yesI I prefer Democracy material over old but a more important question to ask should be, why no variation? Why not vary the Democracy tracks more and play Oh My God occasionally? Why not switch Estranged for Locomotive or Coma occasionally? Why not be so bold to drop KOHD and LALD for a change (who would miss those two? Not me for certain). Look at The Stones, playing The Last Time for the first time since the mid '60s. The Stones, 70 somethings, are far more innovative with setlists than Axl. Heck, even Kiss are more innovative with setlists these days haha!

I wish Axl would do more UYI songs too. I love even Mad Obsession, Garden of Eden and I love their version of Sympathy for the Devil and When you know that you're gonna die young. I think there are so many awesome songs on the UYI cds as well as CD. I wish Axl would do Prostitute. That is one of the most powerful songs on the cd.

GNR has so many amazing songs to choose from that haven't been played for years or maybe never have been played. I think Axl should consider doing some older songs that no one has heard live and cut out the other covers from other bands that they never recorded on any cds.

I think fans would go crazy if they pulled out Coma or something else that's never been played before. That would make people talk.

It would be either 1 of 3 things, I really couldn't chose between the 3.

1. Why did CD take so long?

2. Why was the summer 2001 tour REALLY cancelled?

3. What were you doing durring the years you were out of the spotlight. (1994-2001, 2003-2005, 2008)

The thing is, you are sort of wasting questions by asking, 'why did cd take long? and 'why did you break with slash?' You just know it will produce the same barely intelligible, persecution complex, answers as before: ''I worked very hard to make CD happen, but reasons out of control, people without my best intentions in mind worked very hard to destroy, what I had, to achive blah blah''.

can you please stay on topic for once?

Care to elaborate? Would you say that great artists who produced little are less "artistic" than great artists who produced a lot?

At the end of the day, GN'R has NOT played the same setlist for four years ;), but yeah, the setlists are less varied post-2000 than pre-2000. I am not so sure this means Axl is less "artistic", though ;). For more information on GN'R setlist variations check this out: http://www.a-4-d.com/t1990-variation-in-gn-r-s-setlists

Edited by SoulMonster

SoulMonster,

Shakespeare wrote 38 plays, 154 sonnats and two narrative poems over a, circa 26 year career.

Beethoven produced 9 symphonies, 5 concertos, 32 sonatas, 16 quartets and many other things (choral works such as Missa Solemnis, hundreds of lieder, Fidelio) over a, circa. 37 year career - and he was not even considered a productive composer compared to Schubert!

Lennon-McCartney composed approx. 180 songs between 1962-69 i.e. an 8 year career!

Between 1985-2013, GN'R have created five original studio albums. Between 1992 and 2013, Axl Rose has released fifteen original songs. I rest my case.

SoulMonster,

Shakespeare wrote 38 plays, 154 sonnats and two narrative poems over a, circa 26 year career.

Beethoven produced 9 symphonies, 5 concertos, 32 sonatas, 16 quartets and many other things (choral works such as Missa Solemnis, hundreds of lieder, Fidelio) over a, circa. 37 year career - and he was not even considered a productive composer compared to Schubert!

Lennon-McCartney composed approx. 180 songs between 1962-69 i.e. an 8 year career!

Between 1985-2013, GN'R have created five original studio albums. Between 1992 and 2013, Axl Rose has released fifteen original songs. I rest my case.

Nooo, you can't rest your case until you have explained why productive artists are more "artistic" than less productive artists! In my simple mind "artistic" would have something to do with creativity and musical innovation, meaning that the quality of the artists' output more than the quantity must be connected to how "artistic" an artist is. I am sure you can think of some favourite band of yours with meagre output yet that you feel are MUCH more "artistic" than the run-of-the-mill pop artists of today who release a record per year. I believe the same standard should be used when considering how "artistic" Axl Rose is today, not just how much he is creating today versus how much he created before 2000. And if we do that I believe a fair point could be made that he is less creative and innovative today (which is an age thing, really, it's the youth primarily who innovate things), but NOT because of the low productivity as you originally suggested.

The thing is though, when you discuss a creative gap as large as Axl's, Axl's art merely exists (as far as the fans are concerned) within a vacuum. There is nothing to identifiably connect Axl, the artist, with his fanbase. There is no reason why we should be fans, beyond, the old material of course. Axl has in fact become a nostalgia artists. That is the reality of the situation.

If you ask me what Axl's current music is like, I can only reply 'I do not know'. None of us know. We didn't know when CD was released as Chinese Democracy was largely written 1998-99!. Appetite and UYI are now 30/23 year old records. Axl, the artist, as extent now, no longer exists for us.