How Mick Jagger Prepares for Live Shows at 70

Jordan Rose

I wonder if seeing Jagger perform made Axl re-think his shit.

He is terrifically fit, so we talk for a while about his physical regimen – "I have to bump it up when I do a tour, but I don't have to start from ground zero. That's fairly important for me, to keep that" – and I also ask about how he prepares for the songs' vocal requirements. "When I'm onstage," he says, "I'm not just singing. I want to do a performance, as well, so that's waving my arms around and running around, and I'm dancing. That takes 50 percent of your breath power, so my challenge is how to balance that with my vocals. You don't want to be out of breath when you do the ballads. That's the kind of balancing act. I have things that I can do at home for keeping my voice together. I do karaoke singing, and I write songs a lot, and I do demos and sing them. I'm very lucky, in a lot of ways, because – I'm not trying to sound bigheaded – I do all the Rolling Stones songs in all the same keys as they always were in, so my higher end is still there, maybe better than it was, because I don't smoke anymore and I don't drink as much and whatever."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-rolling-stones-soul-survivors-20130507?page=3

Mick is super fit for his age. I saw the Stones a couple of times and was always impressed with his stage presence and physique. However, I think Axl is a much better singer on his better days. Maybe it's all about the discipline or maybe it's compaing apples and oranges but when it comes to physical shape and vitality, Mick sure gives Axl a run for his money.

Guest Gunns

Mick puts in the amount of power into his vocals that could push a shopping trolley

Axl, (pre 2011) puts in the amount of power that would launch a 747 jet

Mick puts in the amount of power into his vocals that could push a shopping trolley

Lol, yes, all true to an extent, which is why you'd think Axl would put the same kind of effort into getting his voice and body in shape.

Guest Gunns

Lol, yes, all true to an extent, which is why you'd think Axl would put the same kind of effort into getting his voice and body in shape.

Even the best designed machines are prone to failure, wear and tearr through constant use.

Someone asked Steve LIllywhite what was worse, the Stones during Dirty Work, or Metallica in Some Kind of Monster - he said the Stones were way, way worse. I never thought about it, but Metallica is a lot like the Stones.

There was a documentary called "Being Mick" out a while back, but all it revealed was him being a good dad and did yoga.

On The Biggest Bang dvd set there is a documentary about the tour and it says that Mick (during that tour; don't know about now) did 40 minutes of running before each show.

The point isn't that Mick and Axl have different vocal styles, the point is that Mick does his best to remain in good shape and always give the best performance he can while Axl has allowed himself to turn into a walrus and his voice to fall apart between tours.