The Next Album - from what we have heard so far

Guest Gunns

I think Chinese Democracy II is going to be even better than Chinese Democracy.

same here

Add Cuban Skies, Tonto.

Well, I can't picture a band playing and Axl singing over that orchestra.

Tonto is a 4tus solo song

Search before you post, kid

There is also a GNR song called Tonto. Yes, Fortus has one too that was going to be used in a video game but it never was. Two songs.

That 'Checkmate' clip has been toyed with. There is really only a 16-second clip. And yes, the working title is 'Jackie Chan'.

Here you go.

It doesn't always work like that though. Artists do not sit around and consider which of their songs are 'great', 'medicore' and 'weak' (unless they are going to offload the weaker ones on b-sides). The songs we consider to be weaker on Chinese Democracy (e.g. 'If The World', 'Chinese Democracy' and 'Scraped'), may have been considered 'big guns' by Axl himself when he was working on the album. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. If Axl truly was aiming towards a double record, it is probably more a case that Axl had '30 A List' songs'. Axl in fact when interviewed suggests that the two albums were demarcated by style, not, quality. So the more traditional songs ended-up on Democracy and the electronic songs on CD2.

That was before Fortus joined? Im really interested in that electronica stuff. Its like CD was the GNR sounding stuff about Axls struggles then on the side they were making the real album. But i get the impression the band is so divided. Tommy wants to keep it simple, then theres Bucket and Pitman.

Axls comment on release of CD was he saw it as a double. Then starts talking about certain tracks. It had to be done. I can imagine it not sounding like GNR and label not wanting to release it.

I hope the rest of the song and the rest of the material are better than the Jackie Chan clip. Sounds like more bitching over vague losses. Sounds like more shit vocals. Sounds like it ended on the cutting room floor for a reason. :shrugs:

It is certainly intriguing that multiple people who worked on or heard the album prior to its release stated that the strongest tracks of the entire bunch were some of the ones that remain unreleased.

Bach and Brain listed The General as their favorite (or one of the best)

Marco Beltrami worked on Seven, Soul Monster, The General, and Thyme. Stated that Seven was the best of the bunch.

Axl said that Soul Monster may be his favorite of the group

Pitman listed "Beta's Barn"

I believe Tom Zutaut said Atlas Shrugged was one of the better songs

I think Axl said in the chats that "Checkmate" was a bogus titile, the working title of that song was Jackie Chan

Why would a band do that?

A comeback album, which took over a decade to release, your trying to jumpstart (and introduce) an entire new band to the public that will make them get over what happened with Duff/Slash/Izzy...........and you purposely choose NOT to put the best songs on it? And not only that, you then sit on those "best songs" for another decade????? It really makes no sense.

Since when has Axl done things according to this type of logic?

They left Don't Cry, YCBM and November Rain off of AFD because they were already thinking about the next album and thought they didn't fit AFD's flow or vibe as well. They sat on those songs for 4 years, and not because they weren't as good as Anything Goes or Think About You.

Axl said that he considered it a double album. So in his mind, it's probably not any different than having songs like Civil War, Locomotive, Estranged, Breakdown on UYI II, from an artistic perspective. To him, from an artistic standpoint, I'm guessing it's irrelevant that those albums were released on the same day and the CD "double album" was not released all at once.

Don't forget Bad Obsession. I love that song. I would love to hear it with Adler on the skins.