..is this true? - Axl Rose Went On Songwriting Hiatus Due To Criticism From Former Bandmates

vaida

Guns N' Roses - Axl Rose Went On Songwriting Hiatus Due To Criticism From Former Bandmates

The Paradise City hitmaker took almost 14 years to complete the Chinese Democracy album, and Rose confesses the delay followed a period when he began doubting his skills thanks to criticism from his ex-bandmates and ex-fiancee Stephanie Seymour.

He tells USA Today, "They did damage to my ability as a writer. To those three it was all c**p. It beat me down so much. At the time of the (Use Your Illusion) tours, Slash and Duff said: 'You're an idiot, you're a loser.' I didn't write for years."

And due to his inner turmoil Rose admits he struggled to find the right words to explain his feelings in songs.

He adds, "I was trying to figure out what I wanted to say - when it's right to be venting, and when you're digging a bigger hole."

That's what he said in an interview last year. It's been said before that after the band broke up he didn't write or sing for a few years, and Madagascar was the first song he wrote coming off of that. Then he proceeded to write a ton of songs.

According to Axl, Stephanie, Slash and Duff bullied him throughout the UYI tour. They made him feel horrible and worthless and poor little Axl couldn't write for years due to that. Poor little Axl.

FUCKIN' LOL. :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

Edited by pi2loc

Wait.. so... the whole world literally loved Guns n' Roses back in the early 90's... and Axl was one of the most important songwriters in the band... and yet he somehow believed he sucked at writing songs? Yeah... makes perfect sense.

I don't know why he would care what Stephanie thought of his songs, any more than she would care about what he thinks about her modeling photos.

Axl blaming Stephanie for writers block is like blaming Michelle Obama for how the country's being run.

I wouldn't be surprised if Axl had someone rolling tape the entire time the guys were in the studio and he wasn't, and he heard them calling him an idiot and a loser. The only thing we know is Slash's "Stephanie Seymour ballads".

Is he refering to Nov Rain and Estranged the song Slash and Duff didnt want to do?

or is it TIL?

I don't think he even knows.

Seems like he verbally shits any brain fart he can as long as he can rest assured its not his fault. Ever.

Guns N' Roses - Axl Rose Went On Songwriting Hiatus Due To Criticism From Former Bandmates

He tells USA Today, "They did damage to my ability as a writer. To those three it was all c**p. It beat me down so much. At the time of the (Use Your Illusion) tours, Slash and Duff said: 'You're an idiot, you're a loser.' I didn't write for years."

And due to his inner turmoil Rose admits he struggled to find the right words to explain his feelings in songs.

He adds, "I was trying to figure out what I wanted to say - when it's right to be venting, and when you're digging a bigger hole."

I think Slash said once, that he and the rest of the band wanted lyrics for rock 'n' roll songs (about sex, alcohol, drugs...), but all Axl's lyrics were about his deep emotions and "other complicated words".

Is he refering to Nov Rain and Estranged the song Slash and Duff didnt want to do?

or is it TIL?

I don't think he even knows.

Seems like he verbally shits any brain fart he can as long as he can rest assured its not his fault. Ever.

the irony is Izzys songs are living in obscurity and he doesnt care.

...I've never understood Slash's dislike for the ballads or for SCOM, which, according to him, only has one redeeming factor: the solo. Anyway, the ballads penned by Axl are great and loved by fans and non fans.

I think thats the crux of it. While were a big band bcos of those songs, Slash, Duff were losing cred with their peers. They probably wanted to be in AIC and in a way Axls ballads were getting less fashionable. But at thevsame time amongst grunge bands, nin, hip hop, they werent the biggest badasses on the block. Youd think at the time maybe Duff was the key to a relevant record.

I think its possible what they were saying in the context of the 90s was right, but Axls instinct to drop southern rock may have been right too.

It begs the question in appealing to the mainstream so heavily with ballads and videos in doing so alienating the core audience, did they turn down a dead end. It made enemies out of other bands who didnt do that.

Just a theory.

Axl seemed to be worried about losing fame back then. When pearl jam and grunge was in in 1996, he wanted to do a grunge album, when industrial metal was in in the late 90's, he wanted to do industrial rock.

Hopefully at this point he realizes that if he releases anything other than rock at this point, it's going to hurt him more than help him.

Heres what is funny. Axl said he didnt want to write AFD II . 25+ years later how is the show going? Playing the oldies but goodies. AFD with some UYI and CD in the mix. Are the crowds really there to hear CD material?? Nope- they want what put Axl in the spotlight in the first place and there is a reason for that.

When GNR were on the Sunset strip in the 80's there was tons of inspiration for the most epic debut album ever. Some of those songs spilled over into UYI.I suggest that was possible because "the band" was a cohesive unit back in the day...ideas were exchanged, demo'ed', rehearsed, showcased in the clubs and perfected because -the band ..was a band ...wrote and acted as a band ...played together in the same room as a band with the SINGER included! I suggest that songs got fought for and argued about as a band and the results speak for them selves. Spontanious jam sessions occoured and in one case-resulted in one of the most epic and iconic songs ever..SCOM. In a band like GNR during the day.. compromise as a group had to be. Some songs dont make it past jam studio phase. The result of that inter band dialogue was AUTHENTICITY..AFD is not forced.. it is what it is...No grasping at straws..earnest real and provocative. Show cased on the strip in the clubs they could gauge how strong a song was by the way the crowd reacted to it. Songs were relevant to the time and place they were written..and ultimately became "timeless"

If i was "the band" and I was hearing something like" Rhiad and the Bedouins" or "This I Love" and "Chinese Democracy" ..I'd wonder what the hell are you singing about AXL?! I can guarantee you that the stregnth of AFD and UYI was the ability of the band to push one another to higher stregnths.Vocals and lyrics too. I wonder how many times Finck or Tommy, Dizzy or BH stopped playback and told Axl :"what the fuck are you singing about?? Are you trying to be topical? Political? I wonder how many of the scene told Axl that the lyrics are weak and forced?

If that gets Axl in his sensitive parts and that um some of his lyrics SUCK balls...there probably is cause for it. (We all tell our bosses that they suck and that they are way off the mark dont we?)

What the hell outside of personal torment and isolation does CD discuss? its a nice experiment... an interesting attempt at epic... a demonstration of pro tools at work. Does it inspire and does it aspire to greatness? Should it? Is it important that it does? In 20 years we can refer to this album as Axls "missing years" work. Look how we have heard its was written and recorded. Dialed in. This person sends in an Idea..Axl listens..then puts lyrics on top of it...tools it.. reworks it..tinkers with it.. scrapped it, shelves it...what i sense on CD is an attempt at something of GNR's might without the authenticity of actually being a band. We may never know if they ALL actually conviened on a rehearsal studio and played off of each others ideas.

well, in slash and duff's defense, if axl was working on stuff like 'this i love' then he deserved to be mocked. he should have listened to their criticism and written better songs, instead of sulking and doubling down on his dumbass vision. but that's just the opinion of a guy who really didn't like chinese democracy.

Heres what is funny. Axl said he didnt want to write AFD II . 25+ years later how is the show going? Playing the oldies but goodies. AFD with some UYI and CD in the mix. Are the crowds really there to hear CD material?? Nope- they want what put Axl in the spotlight in the first place and there is a reason for that.

When GNR were on the Sunset strip in the 80's there was tons of inspiration for the most epic debut album ever. Some of those songs spilled over into UYI.I suggest that was possible because "the band" was a cohesive unit back in the day...ideas were exchanged, demo'ed', rehearsed, showcased in the clubs and perfected because -the band ..was a band ...wrote and acted as a band ...played together in the same room as a band with the SINGER included! I suggest that songs got fought for and argued about as a band and the results speak for them selves. Spontanious jam sessions occoured and in one case-resulted in one of the most epic and iconic songs ever..SCOM. In a band like GNR during the day.. compromise as a group had to be. Some songs dont make it past jam studio phase. The result of that inter band dialogue was AUTHENTICITY..AFD is not forced.. it is what it is...No grasping at straws..earnest real and provocative. Show cased on the strip in the clubs they could gauge how strong a song was by the way the crowd reacted to it. Songs were relevant to the time and place they were written..and ultimately became "timeless"

If i was "the band" and I was hearing something like" Rhiad and the Bedouins" or "This I Love" and "Chinese Democracy" ..I'd wonder what the hell are you singing about AXL?! I can guarantee you that the stregnth of AFD and UYI was the ability of the band to push one another to higher stregnths.Vocals and lyrics too. I wonder how many times Finck or Tommy, Dizzy or BH stopped playback and told Axl :"what the fuck are you singing about?? Are you trying to be topical? Political? I wonder how many of the scene told Axl that the lyrics are weak and forced?

If that gets Axl in his sensitive parts and that um some of his lyrics SUCK balls...there probably is cause for it. (We all tell our bosses that they suck and that they are way off the mark dont we?)

What the hell outside of personal torment and isolation does CD discuss? its a nice experiment... an interesting attempt at epic... a demonstration of pro tools at work. Does it inspire and does it aspire to greatness? Should it? Is it important that it does? In 20 years we can refer to this album as Axls "missing years" work. Look how we have heard its was written and recorded. Dialed in. This person sends in an Idea..Axl listens..then puts lyrics on top of it...tools it.. reworks it..tinkers with it.. scrapped it, shelves it...what i sense on CD is an attempt at something of GNR's might without the authenticity of actually being a band. We may never know if they ALL actually conviened on a rehearsal studio and played off of each others ideas.

I am nominating this to post of the year.