..is this true? - Axl Rose Went On Songwriting Hiatus Due To Criticism From Former Bandmates

vaida

Is he refering to Nov Rain and Estranged the song Slash and Duff didnt want to do?

or is it TIL?

Patience is another one Slash and Duff weren't fans of.

It's not unusual for a guitarist to criticize lead singers and their ballads. Page couldn't stand "All My Love". I also think that's where producers also push the artists grudgingly into recording the song, so I'm sure Mike Clink would get some credit for getting them to do it.

Is he refering to Nov Rain and Estranged the song Slash and Duff didnt want to do?

or is it TIL?

It's not unusual for a guitarist to criticize lead singers and their ballads. Page couldn't stand "All My Love". I also think that's where producers also push the artists grudgingly into recording the song, so I'm sure Mike Clink would get some credit for getting them to do it.

Patience is an Izzy song, not the singers song.

Here in this topic is the best case for Axl to have done a solo album.That way he write songs that please him and him alone..explores his inner angst or write about his balls being busted by Stephanie 50 different ways and he could still gets the last word in..Write about what ever he want and how ever he wanted...maybe about some Bedouins or Chinese fuckers sitting in a stew or the theme song to CATSII...This I Love.

I suggest that had he done that he could have pulled it off with complete success without gutting the GNR machinery in place. I love the ballads as much as anyone does (except for the lyrics to This I Love)

My particular love for GNR was in part that they had a range of sounds to choose from. I still loved after they evolved from the Sunset club days but BUT.. GNR to me was Live like a suicide AFD recklessness. Hard rock that wasnt silly and cliche...and distinctly different than all the other club bands out there at the time. Slash said in an interview about not getting too far away from what GNR was about. You look at AFD's image of up and coming street urchins making good in the scene to UYI's dolphins and orchastras mansions and limos.. and all largely focused on Axl its easy to see that clearly there was a shift in GNR being a gang/family/ brothers. Looking at the reported structure of percentages that each memeber was to recieve via their contribution -I can see where "the band" was in essensce becoming what NuGNR is now and that is back up players for Axls intentions.

Edited by rockerman

or is it TIL?

To me it looks like an attempt to get izzy more involved in a way. Its like their wild horses. Didnt Duff write something of Patience? or was it just props for counting it in.

I think given the diversity and talent in the band they needed to accept it couldnt always be their own way. Why they had to be such bitches about it is beyond me. At the end of the day you have round out the album and release it. How do you find production that suits Nov Rain and YCBM.

Im still waiting for them to put out something much more underproduced.

Heres what is funny. Axl said he didnt want to write AFD II . 25+ years later how is the show going? Playing the oldies but goodies. AFD with some UYI and CD in the mix. Are the crowds really there to hear CD material?? Nope- they want what put Axl in the spotlight in the first place and there is a reason for that.

When GNR were on the Sunset strip in the 80's there was tons of inspiration for the most epic debut album ever. Some of those songs spilled over into UYI.I suggest that was possible because "the band" was a cohesive unit back in the day...ideas were exchanged, demo'ed', rehearsed, showcased in the clubs and perfected because -the band ..was a band ...wrote and acted as a band ...played together in the same room as a band with the SINGER included! I suggest that songs got fought for and argued about as a band and the results speak for them selves. Spontanious jam sessions occoured and in one case-resulted in one of the most epic and iconic songs ever..SCOM. In a band like GNR during the day.. compromise as a group had to be. Some songs dont make it past jam studio phase. The result of that inter band dialogue was AUTHENTICITY..AFD is not forced.. it is what it is...No grasping at straws..earnest real and provocative. Show cased on the strip in the clubs they could gauge how strong a song was by the way the crowd reacted to it. Songs were relevant to the time and place they were written..and ultimately became "timeless"

If i was "the band" and I was hearing something like" Rhiad and the Bedouins" or "This I Love" and "Chinese Democracy" ..I'd wonder what the hell are you singing about AXL?! I can guarantee you that the stregnth of AFD and UYI was the ability of the band to push one another to higher stregnths.Vocals and lyrics too. I wonder how many times Finck or Tommy, Dizzy or BH stopped playback and told Axl :"what the fuck are you singing about?? Are you trying to be topical? Political? I wonder how many of the scene told Axl that the lyrics are weak and forced?

If that gets Axl in his sensitive parts and that um some of his lyrics SUCK balls...there probably is cause for it. (We all tell our bosses that they suck and that they are way off the mark dont we?)

What the hell outside of personal torment and isolation does CD discuss? its a nice experiment... an interesting attempt at epic... a demonstration of pro tools at work. Does it inspire and does it aspire to greatness? Should it? Is it important that it does? In 20 years we can refer to this album as Axls "missing years" work. Look how we have heard its was written and recorded. Dialed in. This person sends in an Idea..Axl listens..then puts lyrics on top of it...tools it.. reworks it..tinkers with it.. scrapped it, shelves it...what i sense on CD is an attempt at something of GNR's might without the authenticity of actually being a band. We may never know if they ALL actually conviened on a rehearsal studio and played off of each others ideas.

ChiDem is clearly a collaborative effort and i'd say 12 out of the 14 tracks are excellent. I'd even go so far as to say it sounds like what one would imagine to the collaboration of Guns and LedZep. Experimental? I'd guess we'll never hear that part of it and we got the fine tuned results. Who knows if we'd pick the same tracks for the last album.

Guns N' Roses - Axl Rose Went On Songwriting Hiatus Due To Criticism From Former Bandmates

The Paradise City hitmaker took almost 14 years to complete the Chinese Democracy album, and Rose confesses the delay followed a period when he began doubting his skills thanks to criticism from his ex-bandmates and ex-fiancee Stephanie Seymour.

He tells USA Today, "They did damage to my ability as a writer. To those three it was all c**p. It beat me down so much. At the time of the (Use Your Illusion) tours, Slash and Duff said: 'You're an idiot, you're a loser.' I didn't write for years."

And due to his inner turmoil Rose admits he struggled to find the right words to explain his feelings in songs.

He adds, "I was trying to figure out what I wanted to say - when it's right to be venting, and when you're digging a bigger hole."

i do

Only Duff's part in this is surprising. The gfr is out of her element if she dared weigh in. Slash seems to have no discriminating taste at all. His lyric contributions are subpar. Axl should have known better than to doubt himself cuz he'll always find an audience.

People dont like geo-political break up albums, its a niche market.

CD is so late 90s. No it wasnt a fun time.

Get Album of the Year and Follow the Leader, listen to them before CD and it puts it in context.

People dont like geo-political break up albums, its a niche market.

CD is so late 90s. No it wasnt a fun time.

Get Album of the Year and Follow the Leader, listen to them before CD and it puts it in context.

Yes, to all 3 points!!!!!!!!!!

...I've never understood Slash's dislike for the ballads or for SCOM, which, according to him, only has one redeeming factor: the solo. Anyway, the ballads penned by Axl are great and loved by fans and non fans.

Did you ever listen to any of his solo shit? Ever noticeds there are like, Zero ballads?

Heres what is funny. Axl said he didnt want to write AFD II . 25+ years later how is the show going? Playing the oldies but goodies. AFD with some UYI and CD in the mix. Are the crowds really there to hear CD material?? Nope- they want what put Axl in the spotlight in the first place and there is a reason for that.

When GNR were on the Sunset strip in the 80's there was tons of inspiration for the most epic debut album ever. Some of those songs spilled over into UYI.I suggest that was possible because "the band" was a cohesive unit back in the day...ideas were exchanged, demo'ed', rehearsed, showcased in the clubs and perfected because -the band ..was a band ...wrote and acted as a band ...played together in the same room as a band with the SINGER included! I suggest that songs got fought for and argued about as a band and the results speak for them selves. Spontanious jam sessions occoured and in one case-resulted in one of the most epic and iconic songs ever..SCOM. In a band like GNR during the day.. compromise as a group had to be. Some songs dont make it past jam studio phase. The result of that inter band dialogue was AUTHENTICITY..AFD is not forced.. it is what it is...No grasping at straws..earnest real and provocative. Show cased on the strip in the clubs they could gauge how strong a song was by the way the crowd reacted to it. Songs were relevant to the time and place they were written..and ultimately became "timeless"

If i was "the band" and I was hearing something like" Rhiad and the Bedouins" or "This I Love" and "Chinese Democracy" ..I'd wonder what the hell are you singing about AXL?! I can guarantee you that the stregnth of AFD and UYI was the ability of the band to push one another to higher stregnths.Vocals and lyrics too. I wonder how many times Finck or Tommy, Dizzy or BH stopped playback and told Axl :"what the fuck are you singing about?? Are you trying to be topical? Political? I wonder how many of the scene told Axl that the lyrics are weak and forced?

If that gets Axl in his sensitive parts and that um some of his lyrics SUCK balls...there probably is cause for it. (We all tell our bosses that they suck and that they are way off the mark dont we?)

What the hell outside of personal torment and isolation does CD discuss? its a nice experiment... an interesting attempt at epic... a demonstration of pro tools at work. Does it inspire and does it aspire to greatness? Should it? Is it important that it does? In 20 years we can refer to this album as Axls "missing years" work. Look how we have heard its was written and recorded. Dialed in. This person sends in an Idea..Axl listens..then puts lyrics on top of it...tools it.. reworks it..tinkers with it.. scrapped it, shelves it...what i sense on CD is an attempt at something of GNR's might without the authenticity of actually being a band. We may never know if they ALL actually conviened on a rehearsal studio and played off of each others ideas.

ChiDem is clearly a collaborative effort and i'd say 12 out of the 14 tracks are excellent. I'd even go so far as to say it sounds like what one would imagine to the collaboration of Guns and LedZep. Experimental? I'd guess we'll never hear that part of it and we got the fine tuned results. Who knows if we'd pick the same tracks for the last album.

I'd say it resembles photoshopping tits on a bull