Suggestion: Lower the amount of embeddable quotes

bacardimayne

For two reasons:

1. It's very difficult to read a thread when 90% of the page is just the same quotes stacked onto eachother and the only addition is the line at the bottom. My screen resolution is 1080p, so I imagine it's even worse for someone with a smaller screen.

2. Not a big deal, but it's annoying when you get 6 notifications of replies to your posts and it turns out to be two people arguing with one of your posts happening to be a part of the big quote ladder in the background.

Guest Gunns

Something SEMI on topic

can you implement a restriction where people cant have posts that just contain other's quotes. I see no point in having posts that only contain quotes from others without actually contributing anything new. It's a pet peeve of mine you could say :awesomeface:

Edited by Gunns

Something SEMI on topic

can you implement a restriction where people cant have posts that just contain other's quotes. I see no point in having posts that only contain quotes from others without actually contributing anything new. It's a pet peeve of mine you could say :awesomeface:

I like doing that. It's a way of saying the exact same thing as someone else without having to type anything. And it also credits the original poster to having said it first.

Guest Gunns

Something SEMI on topic

I like doing that. It's a way of saying the exact same thing as someone else without having to type anything. And it also credits the original poster to having said it first.

yeah but then when you have like 3+ consecutive posts all doing the same thing, and the third person has quoted the second which quoted the original, it feels like fucking groundhog day :max:

For me it was less of an issue before the software update. The changes to the editor make it much more difficult to edit large numbers of quotes down to just the part you're wanting to quote. I'm guessing that the fact that it's a complete pain in the arse to do this is making people less likely to bother.

Something SEMI on topic

yeah but then when you have like 3+ consecutive posts all doing the same thing, and the third person has quoted the second which quoted the original, it feels like fucking groundhog day :max:

It just shows that they all agree with the statement, what's wrong with that?

Something SEMI on topic

But there is NO POINT in saying the same exact thing unless the thread is about the amount of people who believe something. If it is an argument, then repeating someone else's arguments without adding anything new, is pure noise. One argument just doesn't become better simply because many people happen to agree.

Guest Gunns

Something SEMI on topic

But there is NO POINT in saying the same exact thing unless the thread is about the amount of people who believe something. If it is an argument, then repeating someone else's arguments without adding anything new, is pure noise. One argument just doesn't become better simply because many people happen to agree.

exactly and it just clogs up room on a page unnecessarily (especially when viewing on the phone) , I just think that if someone is going to go to the trouble of hitting quote and post, is it too much to add a few letters or even an emotion in there? god I'm sounding like an old cynical man :(

Something SEMI on topic

Yes it does.

Something SEMI on topic

Yes it does.

I sure hope not. We don't arrive at truths through consensus agreements.

Something SEMI on topic

Yes it does.

I sure hope not. We don't arrive at truths through consensus agreements.

Guest Gunns

Oh, okay. Then yeah, let's implement the restriction.

- I was going to leave it just with skidrows post but the irony may of gone over some peoples heads :awesomeface:

Something SEMI on topic

Yes it does.

Something SEMI on topic

Yes it does.

Guest Gunns

yeah, just following others opinions by quoting them and adding nothing else is totally not what a commie would do? :awesomeface:

I see your point Gunns but then people would add an "Agree" or "This", or "+1", and that's worse, IMO.

you could limit the minimum amount of characters in a post to something like 5, so if a user knows they gotta post something containing at least 5 characters, they would be inclined to actually contribute something more..

its not ideal to have a restriction like that in place, but when you're reading the forum on your phone for example, and you see a wall of quotes with 1 original post quoted 5 times, it gets tiresome very quickly.

you could limit the minimum amount of characters in a post to something like 5, so if a user knows they gotta post something containing at least 5 characters, they would be inclined to actually contribute something more..

its not ideal to have a restriction like that in place, but when you're reading the forum on your phone for example, and you see a wall of quotes with 1 original post quoted 5 times, it gets tiresome very quickly.

Yes, I think it's not a bad idea.

It's not gonna happen though.

Yes, I think it's not a bad idea.

It's not gonna happen though.