Important demo question to finish project

I have been thinking about the Lies thing. In my opinion it was probably recorded between 5th January - 31st January (Wall may have got the month right).

Have a read of this about a Drunk Fux gig from John's page...

01.14.88 - Coconut Teaszer, Hollywood, CA

set: I Got A Line On You, Wishing Well, Communication Breakdown, Scarred For Life, Sentimental Movie, Yesterdays, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Born To Be Wild, Honky Tonk Women

audio/video recording?: audio

notes: This band is known as the Drunk Fux - Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven, West Arkeen & Del James. The first performance of 'Yesterdays,' Axl mentions they will try to record it next week Axl sings lead on 'Yesterdays' & 'Knockin' On Heaven's Door,' and shares vocals on 'Honky Tonk Women.'

They had a recording session booked then, late January (c. 21st) 1988. 'Yesterdays' is an acoutsic track: it is not improbable that 'Yesterdays' was considered for Lies at some stage.

Yesterdays sounds great. A bit more bluesy sound.

It sure is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-gOQwP-kEg

That's from '89, Scrap Bar.

I meant Coconut Teaszer (01.14.88).

But yeah, West Arkeen knows how this song should be done.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we have the full Coconut Teaszer gig? I didn't know how much we have. Too bad we don't have the full scrap bar recording. The Yesterdays version on the bootleg "Rumbo Tapes" sounds a lot like that Yesterdays Axl n West were playin' at the Scrap Bar.

I would have to hear them to know. Do you have a link? As far as Think about You, is was not recorded on the first demo

Marc, last night there was an eBay auction which MUST be the 1st GN'R demo. as i've pointed out before there indeed is "Think About You" on it as last song:

r1stdemoebay060620131.JPG

the auction ended with buying now for 900$ by the way.

could you clear this up maybe?

Do we have the full Coconut Teaszer gig? I didn't know how much we have. Too bad we don't have the full scrap bar recording. The Yesterdays version on the bootleg "Rumbo Tapes" sounds a lot like that Yesterdays Axl n West were playin' at the Scrap Bar.

I have (only) Yesterdays, KOHD, Born To Be Wild and Honky Tonk Women from this show...

Marc, last minute question. I'm about to send my project to print. Lim666 just posted something on page 2 of this post with a picture of the tape and everything. Not sure if you saw it. Would it be 100% definitely incorrect, now that you've seen that tape, to add "Think About You" to the list? I have the information Lim666 described, about the overdubs, style, etc. that has all the similarities that the other 4 songs do. Please let me know. Does that tape look legitimate to you?

Edited by Creepshow2

I have (only) Yesterdays, KOHD, Born To Be Wild and Honky Tonk Women from this show...

From what year is this show from? I've never heard Yesterdays from back then except for the clip of Axl and West at the Scrap Bar.

Was Yesterdays demoed at some point while they were recording Appetite? If true didn't no that.

From what year is this show from? I've never heard Yesterdays from back then except for the clip of Axl and West at the Scrap Bar.

Was Yesterdays demoed at some point while they were recording Appetite? If true didn't no that.

'Yesterdays' is one of the mysterious drum-machine demos (alongwith, Crash Diet, Bring it Back Home, Sentimental Movie, The Garden, Just Another Sunday and Bad Obsession). Nobody has been able to assign a specific date to these. The boots usually say that they were demos for Illusion, however, they all have a drum machine, they all sound like they were recorded in a house, and they all seem to have West Arkeen's involvement. This leads many to believe they are from the Hellhouse, circa 1985-6, as we know Del James had a home studio in his bedroom.

I would consider them Guns N' Roses songs with the exception of 'Crash Diet' which was released officially by the band Asphalt Ballet in 1993 where it recieves the songwriting credit, ''Danny Clarke, West Arkeen, Del James, W. Axl Rose'' - Clarke by the way was a member of Asphalt Ballet.

I think the situation is this. Arkeen/James were simply guys who wrote a bunch of songs with a bunch of different people at various times. Some of those songs were destined for Arkeen's own project (Outpatience - Anxious Disease). Some were handed to the artist Arkeen/James was working with at that time. So, obviously, Duff carried It's So Easy into Guns N' Rose, Axl, The Garden and Yesterday, Izzy, Bad Obsession. And, for reasons we do not know, Bring it Back Home, Sentimental Movie and Just Another Sunday languished. Crash Diet is different as it was handed to another band Arkeen was working with. So any of these songs could have potentially slipped into the 'Guns N' Roses' category, but, at the time it was just a bunch of musicians bouncing ideas off of each other.

These are 'home' demos so they are different from the demos on your list. If I was you, I would probably include a special section but unfortunately there would not be much to write as we know nothing about them. Someone brought-up Crash Diet in the Dexter chats and Axl was rather dismissive of it;

Q: - What's the story behind Crash Diet and why was it never put on to a GNR album?

A: Somethin’ done with Wes and his friend and more about their guitars than Guns.

I actually think it is a much better 'song' than that but then, that is W. Axl Rose for you!

There are other home demos. We know that Slash made a 7-8 song DAT of Illusion demos for Axl to put lyrics to. I think 'Girth' was one of the demos, later renamed Coma. We also know that Izzy brought in a tape of his Illusion songs and, according to Axl, refused to work on them in the studio. There must be other home recordings. You could argue that the 'Snakepit' DAT which Slash, Sorum and Gilby made (circa January 1994) was 'Guns N' Roses' since, at the time, they believed they were working towards a 'Guns N' Roses' album. Again, if I was you I would make a seperate category for home recordings if you wished to include them. You could of course just wait until we find out more information on the Crash Diet demos. We must find something on this soon - I have been tempted to contact Del James.

Edited by DieselDaisy

If you have access to Del James' contact information, definitely do it. He could probably shed light on so many things that aren't clear at the moment. I'm still trying to figure out the whole story with Rapidfire regarding where they played because Del told Marc that Axl's first LA gig was at the Orphanage in January 1984 but if he was in Rapidfire in 1983 where did they perform? As far as the Hell House demos, I didn't know where to begin. The final project is already printed and I'm very happy with the turnout. Those house songs are great and I'd like to record them onto a tape. Maybe Del will say if they had a temporary band name or not. Even if it was just a side project.

Lim666, please post those. It would definitely be helpful.

Thanks.

Rapid Fire (w/ Axl)

20th March 1983 - Gazzerri's (won a 'Battle of the Bands')

8th April 1983 - Gazzerri's

29th April 1983 - Gazzerri's

28th May 1983 - Gazzerri's (Izzy showed up backstage in full glam regalia which signaled the demise of Axl's involvement)

They also played a frat party somewhere but nobody knows the exact time or place. Also, the demo was recorded in May at Telstar Sound Recorders, Burbank. It was probably recorded on May 25th but I got this from an unofficial biography so I cannot be certain.

http://www.rapidfire1983.com/Rapidfire-Recordings-Web1.pdf (read from page 6 onwards).

Edited by DieselDaisy

206 $ for the West Arkeen demo on June02, 2009. unfortunately some GN'R fans (incl. me) didnt communicate well and we didnt get it.
and just as the GN'R demo, the seller didnt give out the buyer-info or CDR copies. so we just can hope that somehow transfers of those tapes will show up in the future.

Edited by Lim666

Yes, we do have the full Coconut Teazser gig. The date is january 14, 1988.

You can download it at the gnr tracker

http://www.gunsnroses.us/tracker/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=28903ae6ad403950da4a82e554b3b6a6c22c3ed1

I love the live version of Sentimental Movie from that show. Yesterdays sounds great too!

All the songs are included!? Not just those 4!? Can someone do a direct upload? That way we don't have to download the full 1988 torrent.

here is the info/screenshots from the eBay auction with the West Arkeen demo tape from May, 2009:btizpvq2kkgrhgookjqejll.jpgwestarkeendemotapeebay2.jpgwestarkeendemotapeebay2.jpgbtizqiqbwkkgrhgookjiejl.jpg

About three months ago I made a thread in this section. It was about some tapes or music that Wes had left in a vault. That music was for Axl and Slash to use on any future G n R projects if they chose to. But only if they had worked out their differences. They were, supposedly, demos that Wes and maybe some band members, made while touring Appetite. If I remember correctly they were stolen. I doubt it but maybe this tape was part of what was in his vault.

Interesting either way.

I wonder who the seller is and if he knows something.

Sorry I can't post the link to the thread, I haven't figured out how to copy and paste with my tablet yet.