The Sex Pistols were the most overrated punk band.

Vincent Vega

There are a number of Punk bands and Punk artists I really love: The Ramones, The Clash, New York Dolls (technically proto punk), Iggy and the Stooges (again proto punk), FEAR, The Misfits, Patti Smith, The Jim Carroll Band.....But I think The Sex Pistols were really overrated and were more image and shock than they were substance.

I mean The Clash and The Ramones alone have a lot more musically going for them than the Pistols.

On Bollocks, every song sounds the fucking same, like each song is just a variation of the other...It gets boring. Whereas with the other Punk acts, there's some variety, it's better produced.....I just think The Sex Pistols' legend is due in large measure to Sid Vicious being a psychopath and just how shocking they were, image and action wise....But not so much on their actual talent.

Like people bash Nirvana with Grunge as being overrated, but Nirvana actually had a lot of talent in them, maybe not deserving of being called the best band ever, but still a hell of a lot of talent and artistic beauty to them...The Pistols I can't say the same.

Edited by Vincent Vega

Listened to Nevermind the Bollocks and it was fucking shit. How do people enjoy this stuff?

That's what I'm saying. It's barely listenable crap.

Whereas with The Clash, The Ramones, Fear, etc, it's pretty fucking awesome.

we get it dude

you hate lenny and punk

we get it

No, I like a lot of Punk, I just think The Sex Pistols are one of the most overrated bands of all time and that they were a shitty band. Like I said, Clash, Ramones, Fear, Jim Carroll, Patti Smith, there was tons better than the Pistols.

Guest Len B'stard

On Bollocks, every song sounds the fucking same, like each song is just a variation of the other...It gets boring. .

Explain to me how each song on NMTB is a variation of the other. And also, explain to me what about the production of the album is poor, in your estimation.

On Bollocks, every song sounds the fucking same, like each song is just a variation of the other...It gets boring. .

Explain to me how each song on NMTB is a variation of the other. And also, explain to me what about the production of the album is poor, in your estimation.

They just sound like variations of the same fucking song, nothing really sticks out except for God Save the Queen. The production sucks in that I hate the guitar sound, it sounds almost fucking tinny or....just i dont even know how to put it, the guitars just sound like shit.

Guest Len B'stard

They just sound like variations of the same fucking song, nothing really sticks out except for God Save the Queen. The production sucks in that I hate the guitar sound, it sounds almost fucking tinny or....just i dont even know how to put it, the guitars just sound like shit.

How though? I mean are you saying they use the same chord progressions or the rhythms and melodies are identical or...? Thats what the question was, what are you talking about there, explain what you mean. And you think the guitar sound is tinny? Really? Of all the criticisms i've heard of NMTB i've never ever ever heard anyone say anything bad about the production, not ever aside from certain aspects of the punk crowd thinking it was 'too polished'. Do you realise that, as production goes, it's about as un-punk as an album can be? I mean the thing has multiple overdubs, Chris Thomas who produced the album is a pop producer, he did work with Paul McCartney and Procol Harum and Roxy Music and INXS. In fact, criticisms of it upon release in some sections of the pop community was that it was overly polished and overdubbed and too neat to be considered in line with what people expected of punk. You're the first person i've ever heard in my life to call NMTB guitar sound 'tinny', i don't think it's actually possible to have that many overdubs and still sound tinny.

This appears to be yet another case of Miser talking about stuff that he doesn't know about, throwing vague things in there that he's picked up from years of reading band reviews and, having guessed at what they really mean instead of taking the time to actually find out, assigned them to things he THOUGHT they meant and, lo and behold, ended up talking a load of bollocks. You do this all the time too, whether it's on the topic of music or golden era Hollywood film stars that you are trumpetting all over the gaff but then when someone pulls your card on em you've hardly seen any of their films, you just have these ideas in your head like "Erroll Flynn, swashbuckling, what a man!" and just run with it without knowing anything about the topic, it's the same with this, you just assumed 'punk band, shit production' without actually knowing anything about the subject because if you did, or indeed knew anything about music production, you wouldn't've said that shit because Bollocks is REALLY tightly produced and packaged and is criticised for it in punk circles. Just like that Wall of Sound thread you made the other day and i asked you what it was and you didn't really have a clue.

It's not a crime to not know Miser, just take your time, stop thinking about trying to impress people and actually find out what shit means before you say it. There's a reason GnR went straight to Bill Price (engineer on Pistols debut) because that guitar sound was what they were after and to be honest the guitar sound on Bollocks is almost identical to the guitar production on Illusions, very dense and smothered in overdubs, it was Izzys problem with the whole thing. Overdubs are very un-punk in some circles.

But explain the bit about all sounding the same if you will, i'd be interested to know what you meant there too.

And the stupidest thing of all is the other bands that you've cited spent almost their entire careers having production problems :lol: I mean The Clash, one of my all time favorite bands, really, you're gonna cite their music ahead of The Pistols with one of the chief criticisms being The Pistolses production, the one band out of the English 70s punk who could be said to've released a faultlessly produced album, as a part of a movement in which production was FUCKED! I mean have you heard the production on any of The Clash albums? The first album almost had none at all, their sophmore was considered ruined by slick production, Combat Rock they fought bitterly over the production of. And Fear, really, you're gonna slag off The Pistols for their production and then sing up Fear? :lol: I'm not even talking about personal taste here i'm talking about the quality of the work executed.

'The Pistols suck, all their songs sound the same...if only they were like The Ramones' :lol: If you had just said you don't like it you'd've done alright but when you try and act cleverer than you are and talk about shit you don't know about you just make yourself look stupid.

Edited by sugaraylen

The production is excellent - Bill Price co-produced (who mixed Use Your Illusion). Some fans however perfer the 'Spunk' demos more (I do not know what Len thinks of the whole, Spunk v Bollocks debate?). I have the Spunk demos on a re-release of Bollocks from the 90s and they are good also.

Guest Len B'stard

The production is excellent - Bill Price co-produced (who mixed Use Your Illusion). Some fans however perfer the 'Spunk' demos more (I do not know what Len thinks of the whole, Spunk v Bollocks debate?). I have the Spunk demos on a re-release of Bollocks from the 90s and they are good also.

I dunno, they all good for what they are in my opinion, i wouldn't really go for one over the other. But there you go, see...and if i'm not mistaken you're not even much of a fan of The Pistols? It's one thing not to like it, thats fine. but to say the production on the album is poor and the guitar sound is tinny is just ridiculous, i have never ever heard that criticism levelled against them, even by the worst naysayers...and The Pistols are a band with their fair share of critics.

Their body of work is to small to really compare them to anything else.

I love what they stood for, they took it as good as they gave it. I'm not a big fan of the Pistols, I prefer the Misfits or the New York Dolls, but I think as far as their place in music history goes, you can't deny the influence they've had over countless bands, musically and image wise.

As far as the production on Bollocks, I've never really noticed. I will say though, that the louder the record is played the better.

the thing is though the sex pistols influence crosses whole genres. without the sex pistols there is no new wave of british heavy metal or thrash metal. thats why it is hard to really call them overrated, their influence is strong and still continues today.

How though? I mean are you saying they use the same chord progressions or the rhythms and melodies are identical or...? Thats what the question was, what are you talking about there, explain what you mean. And you think the guitar sound is tinny? Really? Of all the criticisms i've heard of NMTB i've never ever ever heard anyone say anything bad about the production, not ever aside from certain aspects of the punk crowd thinking it was 'too polished'. Do you realise that, as production goes, it's about as un-punk as an album can be? I mean the thing has multiple overdubs, Chris Thomas who produced the album is a pop producer, he did work with Paul McCartney and Procol Harum and Roxy Music and INXS. In fact, criticisms of it upon release in some sections of the pop community was that it was overly polished and overdubbed and too neat to be considered in line with what people expected of punk. You're the first person i've ever heard in my life to call NMTB guitar sound 'tinny', i don't think it's actually possible to have that many overdubs and still sound tinny.

This appears to be yet another case of Miser talking about stuff that he doesn't know about, throwing vague things in there that he's picked up from years of reading band reviews and, having guessed at what they really mean instead of taking the time to actually find out, assigned them to things he THOUGHT they meant and, lo and behold, ended up talking a load of bollocks. You do this all the time too, whether it's on the topic of music or golden era Hollywood film stars that you are trumpetting all over the gaff but then when someone pulls your card on em you've hardly seen any of their films, you just have these ideas in your head like "Erroll Flynn, swashbuckling, what a man!" and just run with it without knowing anything about the topic, it's the same with this, you just assumed 'punk band, shit production' without actually knowing anything about the subject because if you did, or indeed knew anything about music production, you wouldn't've said that shit because Bollocks is REALLY tightly produced and packaged and is criticised for it in punk circles. Just like that Wall of Sound thread you made the other day and i asked you what it was and you didn't really have a clue.

It's not a crime to not know Miser, just take your time, stop thinking about trying to impress people and actually find out what shit means before you say it. There's a reason GnR went straight to Bill Price (engineer on Pistols debut) because that guitar sound was what they were after and to be honest the guitar sound on Bollocks is almost identical to the guitar production on Illusions, very dense and smothered in overdubs, it was Izzys problem with the whole thing. Overdubs are very un-punk in some circles.

But explain the bit about all sounding the same if you will, i'd be interested to know what you meant there too.

And the stupidest thing of all is the other bands that you've cited spent almost their entire careers having production problems :lol: I mean The Clash, one of my all time favorite bands, really, you're gonna cite their music ahead of The Pistols with one of the chief criticisms being The Pistolses production, the one band out of the English 70s punk who could be said to've released a faultlessly produced album, as a part of a movement in which production was FUCKED! I mean have you heard the production on any of The Clash albums? The first album almost had none at all, their sophmore was considered ruined by slick production, Combat Rock they fought bitterly over the production of. And Fear, really, you're gonna slag off The Pistols for their production and then sing up Fear? :lol: I'm not even talking about personal taste here i'm talking about the quality of the work executed.

'The Pistols suck, all their songs sound the same...if only they were like The Ramones' :lol: If you had just said you don't like it you'd've done alright but when you try and act cleverer than you are and talk about shit you don't know about you just make yourself look stupid.

I love you you magnificent bastard! :lol: