Why doesn't the New Band Inspire Axl like the Old one did?

Naupis

One of the things not often discussed that I think could use some more run around here is why Axl surrounds himself with musicians that don't inspire him.

When you look at the old band, they released 3.5 albums worth of new material in a 4 year stretch. They clearly inspired Axl on a musical level to be able to write and record lyrics he was confident enough in to actually release in a timely fashion.

The new versions of the band though don't ever seem to inspire him. Now it seems like he looks at writing lyrics for the material as a choir, rather than something he feels motivated to do by the quality of the music.

Clearly he feels no spark or no flare with these guys that on a creative level makes him want to go into the booth and finish music the way the others used to make him feel.

On a subconscious level he clearly knows it isn't working because he doesn't have that feeling anymore, which is why in 4 years of DJ being in the band he still hasn't stepped into a studio with them.

Whatever music they are showing him isn't giving him that feeling in his gut that he needs to record lyrics, and better yet want the world to actually hear what he has to say.

Is money the only reason he is carrying on with a group of musicians that don't inspire him? That is all I can figure, because we have seen how he acts when inspired creatively, and it is night and day from how he acts with these guys.

Releasing music and recording vocals didn't become the struggle it is until he started being surrounded by musicians who didn't inspire him the way Slash/Duff/Izzy did.

Why then does he continue to insist sticking with those guys instead of looking for guys that will give him that itch again?

I think it is a lot harder to inspire a 51-year-old than a 20 something. Back then he had a lot more drive, ambition, and a need to make it. He's in a completely different situation now. He hasn't got much to prove. He might have other interests. He might think he has more to lose now.

That being said, Axl and the AFD lineup probably clicked more than Axl has done with any later band members.

he needs slash.

LOL. What great songs on AL would have inspired Axl?

Anastasia is a better song than any of them have written since the break-up in 93.

Anastasia could be an epic song. I do like it and Slash's guitar work is inspired but everytime I listen I'm slightly disappointed by the lyrics and chorus. They lack something that could have taken it to the next level. Jmo though :-)

I do not agree that, just because he is 51 his artistic drive is vanquished and that we should accept this fact like it is some sort of an excuse. This is no excuse. Bob Dylan has released some of his most significent masterpieces in the latter half of his career (Time out of Mind; Tempest).

Neil Young, David Bowie, Prince, Nick Cave, Kate Bush...

The list of older veteran artists still being creative and producing quality work is quite large. Some of those guys are nearly in their 70s (Young, Dylan, Bowie) and still producing quality work.

Axl is just happy to rest on his laurels.

I actually think that having people support him and act like it's all good helps him at this point. Axl's main problem is he's to scared to release or maybe even record music cause he can't handle criticism and he's been this way since at least since the breakup. Some positive vibe will help him get on his feet. Then afterward he'll be a less of an emo cry baby and be axl rose.

Anastasia is an ok song with good guitar work but not good enough to make it great. with the right vocalist maybe.

Edited by useyorappetite

Neil Young, David Bowie, Prince, Nick Cave, Kate Bush...

The list of older veteran artists still being creative and producing quality work is quite large. Some of those guys are nearly in their 70s (Young, Dylan, Bowie) and still producing quality work.

Axl is just happy to rest on his laurels.

Springsteen also. I mean even the Stones, who are essentially the 'ultimate greatest hits touring machine', still managed to release a new song recently and include it in their setlist.

I do not agree that, just because he is 51 his artistic drive is vanquished and that we should accept this fact like it is some sort of an excuse. This is no excuse. Bob Dylan has released some of his most significent masterpieces in the latter half of his career (Time out of Mind; Tempest).

We are all different. Some are able to have that artistic hunger for all heir lives, others' get dampened as they get older. It is not an excuse. It is what it is. And whether this is the case with Axl is pure speculation. I do believe so, though.

We are all different. Some are able to have that artistic hunger for all heir lives, others' get dampened as they get older. It is not an excuse. It is what it is. And whether this is the case with Axl is pure speculation. I do believe so, though.

Yes but the difference here is, we know he was creative up to a fairly late date and we know he has stuff in the vault. It is not as if Axl turned into a cheese artist suddenly in 1994. We know, up to at least 2006, that he was a creative individual.

Well maybe not from this music genre, but look on Flaming Lips - they're in music biz for 30 years but they still doing something new and fresh (like new Terror record) they're still changing. They could touring still with old Yoshimi and Soft Bulletin's greatest hits, but they are rather do new stuff. Look at list of upcoming things from FL:

- "The Terror" live album
- "Lip$ha" (collabs LP with Ke$ha)
- Stone Roses debut LP remade with New Fumes, HOTT MT, Depth & Current, Def Rain and others (limited edition vinyl)
- 30th anniversary complete discography in gummy brain in skull
- "Freak Night" concert film wider release/ showings
- "A Year on Wayne's Phone" film fest showings
- "Look...The Sun is Rising" music video
- 30th anniversary US concert(s) with career-spanning setlist(s)
- "A Beautiful Fucking Experience" (24 hour tour doc)
- Appearance on Sparklehorse tribute album
- Concerts with Spiritualized

And tell what's gonna GNR do in next 12/24 months? Just more shows, with same setlist, same stage, same everything.

Other example - Trent Reznor - he's so redundant, his new NIN song sounds like some HTDA tune. But he doing something, he changed live line-up.

Axl think world don't like new stuff, that's why he back to cowboy boots, generic guitar player and nostalgic tour. He just surrounded.

Yes but the difference here is, we know he was creative up to a fairly late date and we know he has stuff in the vault. It is not as if Axl turned into a cheese artist suddenly in 1994. We know, up to at least 2006, that he was a creative individual.

That was 7 years ago. I believe after he made it big the necessity for him of releasing new music has been dampened a lot. He has nothing to prove but everything to lose. And although he still wants to do it, that hunger is just not as present as it was in the 80s. That's one of the reasons why things take a lot longer now. His life isn't all about music anymore. This doesn't mean he won't release again, I am sure he will, I just don't think it will happen soon.

The whole music industry is dead, the importance of putting out an album these days is not as big as before

This is a hopeless excuse. Albums should be just as much about art as sales figures and besides, shouldn't Axl be trying to tear apart the current malaise. Axl, 1987-93 was a ballsey artist who broke apart the then current music scene. If anything, the music industry needs Axl more than it ever has - the real Axl that is and not this cheesy guy.

What is the source of any inspiration? Ive questioned it before...what does Axl have to prove to anybody any more -least of all but more importantly himself. His private life is largely insulated from the madness of celebrity and hes not playing the game by modern societys rules. He made it. Hes played the game all the way to the top. Once there...Does Axl like anybody who has had mega success at an early age still find the need and the drive to find another mountain to climb?

. A 25 year old cocky up and comer has interest..a 51 year old saying and doing the same things comes across as tragic and sad. Even the expressionof his deep tragic soul searing experiences have all become cliche' . Who here has had to reinvent himself over and over and over? The energy that takes you to 40 is not the same energy that will take you from 40 to 80.

Jim Morrison said it best..."they dont want me they want my death." We want specticle..we want intrigue, we want a damn good fight ...We want chaos we want tragedy and we want someone like Axl to do what he did...lead the parade... we want his screaming fuck you to the establishment. We want him to be a mouthpiece for defiance and rebellion. His perspective of struggle and the back story of GNR is another x factor that made him as big as it did. For a whole generation of people his stance was priceless...".IF I can do it..you can do it..and no matter what dont give up or in. People who say you cant ..usually didnt or wont themselves.......so fuck them before they fuck you........

What is missing, and its obvious is the manic...the manic drive to succeed agains all odds..for any reason for any purpose. If Axls music is indeed art...what is the picture hes painting? So let me ask you this: IS GNR still an expression of Axl Rose and a vehicle for his creativity..his "statement of purpose" OR is it a vehicle for him to make a living and keep the ledger in the positive?